4.0 out of 5 stars Finally a tablet that has what we want!
We've owned the original LeapPad, LeapPad2, and recently the LeapPad2 Power. We've also owned the InnoTab and InnoTab2S. Our favorite has been the LeapPad2. But then in walked the LeapPad Ultra . . .

SO, HOW ARE LEAPPAD2 AND LEAPPAD ULTRA THE SAME?

- Both have a front and back camera. On the LPU it's now placed to the left and off to the side...
Published 11 months ago by Ninjaba

3.0 out of 5 stars Some new features are great, but LeapPad2 is better overall
Customer Video Review     Length:: 1:10 Mins
(The video, added Sept. 6, has to do with the LeapPad Ultra's Wi-Fi connectivity. Please wait for that section below to view it.)

This is going to be a really long review! If you're putting forth the money to buy this, you may want to know a lot of details about it, so I tried to think of the things I would want to know if I were...
Published 10 months ago by Sunny Sewing Honeybee

‹ Previous | 15 6 765 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars This one is Great, October 8, 2013
Granville Barker (Starkville, MS United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: LeapFrog LeapPad Ultra Kids' Learning Tablet, Green (Toy)
I was a little worried after reading some of the previous reviews that this thing would be too slow changing apps, but they must have fixed that as it's pretty snappy. The camera's are great, and for the price it's hard to beat. I don't think it's sat idle since it came in other than when the kids were asleep and at school. They have been taking it on the bus with them, and for a touch screen it appears to be really durable. Setup was a breeze and all worked well. We bought one video and it installed rather quickly. I'm thinking LeapFrog is going to have another best seller this Christmas!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Product, September 26, 2013
This review is from: LeapFrog LeapPad Ultra Kids' Learning Tablet, Green (Toy)
I've bought a lot of products that are really nice and that I've enjoyed a lot from big screens to jet skis and yes tablets for both me and my wife all of which I already knew what to expect and therefore was not surprised by these products. Probably the nicest surprise product I've bought has been the Leap Frog Ultra tablet for our 5 year old daughter. It's her all time favorite "toy" and enjoys sharing what she's learned from it with us. It works great and we have not had any problems with it. I never write reviews for products but the Leap Frog tablet has been such a hit with our daughter and a surprise choice for a gift to my wife and I that I felt compelled to write a review for it here and highly recommend it for anyone who wants to provide an educational product for their child that they will be enthusiastic about.

4.0 out of 5 stars My Kids Approved This Device, September 26, 2013
J. E. Nelson (Plainfield, Illinois) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Having three children, we have owned various LeapFrog devices over the years. In the world where Apple seems to dominate personal electronics, I was curious if the LeapPad Ultra Learning Tablet filled a niche that was not currently covered by an Apple iSomething or other.

Being nearly 40 years old, I am well outside the manufactures suggested age range of 4 to 9 years old, so my test subjects were my three children, aged 10, 7, and 6. All three children currently utilize iPod touches and an iPad. The oldest also has a Kindle.

Prior to giving the LeapPad Ultra to the children, I decided I better check it out first. Initial configuration for Wi-Fi and setting up the kids profiles were quite easy for my wife and I. We did not have much difficulty in figuring out any aspect of the setup of the device or an individual profile

We handed it over to the children and let them play with it for a month. Despite my children having access to more expensive electronics, the LeapPad Ultra Learning Tablet was still a hit. The biggest hit was the game "Pet" that came with the tablet. Evidently, the app is a game where you can build a home for your pet. I admit I have not actively played with this app, but to me it looked like a simplistic version of the WebKinz website. As I said, I have not played with the app that much, so I could be way off. The kids liked it though.

I spent some time with the LeapPad Ultra Tablet to ensure I had some feel for the device. One of the things I noticed right away is that compared to other personal electronics, whatever this device does, it does it slow. It is slow to load, slow to launch an app, and slow to turn off. I examined the LeapSearch internet area. I was a bit disappointed that there was not some sort of web browsing capabilities on the tablet. The web area currently consists of preselected/prescreened YouTube videos and various pictures. A check of the App Center showed me that most apps seemed to cost $7.50.

I asked each of my children what they thought about the LeapPad Ultra Tablet. While this seemed to be a popular device amongst them, they had surprisingly little to say:

7 Year Old: Liked the game called Pet. Ranked the device 4.5 stars out of 5.

10 Year Old: They liked how you can have your own profile and customize it. They did not like how it loads super slow. They did like the LeapSearch function and showed me a few videos. They also gave a thumbs up to the Art Studio app. They gave the device 3.5 stars out of 5.

6 Year Old: The comments of my 6 year old virtually mimicked my 7 year old. They specifically mentioned they liked the included Pet App. They rated the device 4 stars out of 5.

As I mentioned, I was curious of the LeapPad Ultra Tablet filled a niche not currently covered by some other device. After using the device for about a month, I honestly believe it does. If I had a younger child that was at the stage where they wanted to have a device like mom, dad, or a sibling, but you did not want to spring for an Apple product, then this might be a good alternative. I think it would be an excellent choice for a child who has not yet developed the fine motor skills to manipulate an iPad Touch.

While I would not hesitate recommending this product for younger children, I would also recommend possibly considering other options. A base iPod Touch with a 3 year Accident Protection warranty from SquareTrade(vital for delicate electronics used by children in my opinion) would run about twice the current price of the LeapPad Ultra Tablet. The iPod Touch would offer you much greater versatility than the LeapPad and most any app a child would use is free or has a minimal cost. Purchase a dozen apps from LeapPad and you have almost made up the difference already. The iPod Touch or similar device might not be a feasible solution for everyone for various reasons, but it is something worth considering.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great LeapFrog product!, August 27, 2013
K. Bayless (Ventura, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: LeapFrog LeapPad Ultra Kids' Learning Tablet, Green (Toy)
Our family has been a fan of LeapFrog products for years, having used the Tag pens, Leapster Explorers and the earlier LeapPads. While the changes between the LeapPad 1 and LeapPad 2 were small, the new LeapPad Ultra feels like a true redesign. Physically, the LeapPad Ultra is thinner and easier to hold, but with a larger screen for better visibility. My kids love the swipe-able screen that makes it feel more like the iPad. One of the best new features is the ability to connect via WiFi to other LeapPad Ultras to play games with/against each other. My two older boys love racing each others or having their pets get together to play.

As a parent, I still love the blend of education and entertainment that LeapFrog has found with their games and apps. Plus, the LeapPad Ultra has a rechargeable 9-hr battery! No more AAs! Woohoo! The one downside - the loading time for apps seems to be a bit longer than the previous LeapPad. Could be my imagination... Overall, a great improvement from early models and a great educational toy for kids.

* I was provided a sample of the LeapPad Ultra through a review program. The opinions expressed are my own.

5.0 out of 5 stars LeapPad Ultra Durable and Great for Homeschooling!, August 22, 2013
This review is from: LeapFrog LeapPad Ultra Kids' Learning Tablet, Green (Toy)
We have both the LeapPad2 and just received the LeapPad Ultra. The LeapPad Ultra screen is bigger and easier (higher resolution) to see and it is also way more durable than the smaller LeapPad2. (It seems to have more cushioning.) There are a TON of apps to choose from in the online library, so we'll use it to select apps based on what we are studying at that time in homeschool. If you have multiple kids and get two, you can play peer-to-peer which and helps avoid those sharing arguments. PLUS, the LeapPad Ultra has a built-in MP3 player, which is really cool. I think the upgrades are well worth the extra cost to get the Ultra. We'll get a lot of FUN learning time out of this with our 5 year old.

5.0 out of 5 stars LeapPad Ultra!, August 15, 2013
This review is from: LeapFrog LeapPad Ultra Kids' Learning Tablet, Green (Toy)
I am a Kindergarten teacher and have used LeapFrog products in my classroom for years, but I am extremely excited to introduce this new learning tool to my students this fall! I have the LeapPad and have always enjoyed watching my students faces light up when they learn. This new learning toy will make this experience even brighter.

The LeapPad Ultra is very child and adult friendly. It was easy to set up and easy to use. Everyone in my family enjoys playing and learning with the device. The games and apps are very child friendly. You have the ability to watch your childs progress online and choose new apps or games based on their progress. My son loves to play Pet Pad Party! I love that while he is playing, he is also learning!

I am a teacher participating in the LeapFrog Teacher Ambassador Program, and I receive free LeapFrog products in connection with your participation in the program.

The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
2.0 out of 5 stars Just buy the Kindle Fire HD, October 10, 2013
= Durability:4.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: LeapFrog LeapPad Ultra Kids' Learning Tablet, Green (Toy)
A great toy but having come from both the Leap Frog 2 and now this I would highly suggest buying the Kindle Fire HD. I tend to favor the Kindle with the play time app because it is essentially the same thing. For small fee your child has access to all the movies and games he/she can imagine. Just a much better product, plus I bought the kids case which makes it safer in case its dropped. Leapfrog needs to step the game up .

stem
The manufacturer commented on this review(What's this?)
Posted on Nov 13, 2013 9:14:59 AM PST
LeapPad Ultra offers LeapSearch, powered by Zui at no additional cost, which includes over 1,000 hand-selected fun and engaging pieces of content, including videos, images, games and web pages, that are 100% kid-appropriate. Every content experience your child will encounter with LeapPad Ultra has been approved by LeapFrog's team of learning experts, so parents don't have to set filters or search amongst a sea of content and guess which is appropriate. We do the rigorous work, so you don't have to.

We appreciate you taking the time to provide us with your feedback, thanks for your review!

The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
1.0 out of 5 stars Lasted 2 minutes, September 4, 2013
This review is from: LeapFrog LeapPad Ultra Kids' Learning Tablet, Green (Toy)
I am so sorry we bought this for our 4 year old. She played it twice and it broke. We keep getting the same picture to connect to the PC which we have done. Than it restarts and says it is searching for wifi.., 3 times. It asks us to restart our profile and than is searching for wifi and freezes, We bought a warranty, but at this point I just want my money back!! She is disappointed and so are we!! We work too Leap frog, I wish I worked where they do that have bankers hours for customer support. There should be a live chat feature for such a high tech company.

stem
The manufacturer commented on this review(What's this?)
Posted on Sep 5, 2013 2:26:11 PM PDT
Hello!

We would suggest syncing your device to the computer via the USB cord, in the LeapFrog Connect application click on "Settings" then "Repair". If this does not help, please feel welcome to reach out to us. You can send us an email anytime at support@leapfrog.com we would be happy to help!

Thanks!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, for a kids tablet..., September 23, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have a 3 1/2 year old daughter. Like most kids her age, she is tech savvy. She has had a LeapPad2 for several months, and now this new and improved LeapPad Ultra. In addition, we have an iPad mini and a Kindle Fire HD. Those devices are not hers, but she is allowed to play with them sometimes.

In many ways, the LeapPad Ultra is an improvement over the LeapPad2. The display is considerably larger, 7" in comparison to 5". There is a built in rechargeable battery, very limited internet capability, double the internal memory space for apps, improved cameras, and a faster processor. All of our old downloaded games transferred over to the LeapPad Ultra, and the cartridges that I bought for the LeapPad2 work as well. I do think that it is rather slippery for a small child to hold, and recommend buying a case for it.

Here is my issue though about "kid" tablets. At the current pricing, the LeapPad Ultra costs almost as much as many "adult" tablets. Here is a comparison: As of the date of this review, the LeapPad Ultra is $149 and the 16 GB Kindle Fire HD tablet is $199 (it was just on sale recently for $30 less). The LeapFrog content that you can purchase for the LeapPad Ultra is very good, but it is also quite expensive. The eBooks are $10 to $20 each, and the games are $5 to $25 each. Do a bit of math, and you will realize that the cost difference between the two previously mentioned devices will disappear quickly with some book and game purchases. The Kindle Fire HD has a parental control program available called Kindle Free Time Unlimited. It is currently $4.99 per month, or $2.99 per month if you are a Prime member. (There are also plans available for multiple children.) Kindle Free Time Unlimited is a fantastic feature. For the small monthly cost, you have access to thousands of apps, games, and books at no additional charge. You can pick and choose what your child is allowed to access, you can limit access to the internet, and you can even set time limits for various activities. Since I am a Prime member, I can also allow my child to watch the Prime videos that I choose. (Over wi-fi only for the videos.) All of this is controlled by a 4 character parent password, and it took me less than 30 minutes to set up for my child.

So, to sum it up - if you are convinced that you want to buy a "kid" tablet, then I recommend the LeapPad Ultra. As of right now, I think it is the best kid tablet on the market. But, if you want to branch out to an "adult" tablet that can be totally and safely customized for your child, then I highly recommend a Kindle Fire HD with the added monthly service for Kindle Free Time, and a decent protective case.

4.0 out of 5 stars Tablet Learning System for Preschool to Second Grade, August 18, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
We have used many LeapFrog products in our home for our children. From the Tag system to the popular Leapster Explorer and LeapPad 1, we're experienced LeapFrog parents.

The LeapPad Ultra was a terrific upgrade to the LeapPad systems. My kindergarten-aged daughter is using it, and she is fascinated with it. Any technical educational product that can engage a child's interest over time and grow with them, is worth looking into.

I was immediately impressed with the weight, feel, and durability of this tablet. It is not a completely plastic casing like the LeadPads were, but it is a weighty metal construction with a rechargeable battery that is built in and not an add-on. The add-on rechargeable battery pack was the very first accessory we bought for the Leapster Explorer! It was thoughtful to have that already part of the package.

As a parent, I have made good use of the Parent tools in LeapFrog Connect. Using Connect, I can configure the games to use the particular math skills being taught in her classroom that week, and even test her on her weekly spelling words. The customization available is a terrific asset, and a large advantage to this product.

As I have come to expect from LeapFrog products, going from box to play was easy. I plugged it in, to charge the battery, and turned it on. A set up process walked me through configuring the LeapPad, and we were off and running. I did run into a problem where the WiFi was not seeing our home network. The online Support did not fix my problem. The online Support said to make sure your network was not having an issue. Being network engineers, I can assure you, our network was not the problem! Multiple devices were running on our WiFi while the LeapPad could not even find the network. We are still trying to sort that one out. To work around the issue, we plugged the LeapPad into a computer using the included USB cable and downloaded the LeapFrog software that way onto the LeapPad. All in all, in less than 30 minutes, even with the network issue, the LeapPad was working.

The assortment of cartridges we purchased for the Explorer and LeapPad 1 all worked with this system. Also, the games we purchased for download to the Explorer downloaded to the Ultra too. This was another thoughtful component that added value to the system. Downloads are available for up to three devices, so anything you purchased using Download Cards for the Explorer will also download to the Ultra, provided that you log in to the Connect system with the same credentials you used to download the Explorer games. We have used the same parent account for many devices, and I was happy to see that all of that history followed us to the new device. Great job, LeapFrog!

However, I confess to momentary sticker shock at the price of the "apps" in their app store. The apps are priced like the cartridges, $10 - $25. We have had an Apple iPad in our house since the very first model, and we are used to the iTunes App Store. We don't pay more than $10 for an app, and only for the really, really good educational ones! Paying $25 for an app seemed really excessive to me, on top of the cost of the LeapPad. I understand the educational value and customizations available in LeapFrog's apps, but even so, I found their prices to be excessive. It will take many weeks of chores for my children to save the allowance money needed just to buy Kidz Bop or Hello Kitty, which they immediately wanted because they were featured right on the front of the box, right below the "11 included apps" printing. Moving the pictures of the paid apps to the other side of the box front would be more straight-forward advertising. Also, using the word "apps" lends an established system of downloads and pricing to mind, and it was misleading. Perhaps renaming this to "eCartridges" would set expectations about pricing more appropriately, so it is not quite such a shock. As previous reviewers have noted, it is cheaper to buy the actual cartridges than to buy the "apps" online.

The "11 Apps Included - $80 Value" on the box means basic operating system functions, like music player, calendar, and note pad. As iPad users, these are not "apps," these are basic operating system functions. My children thought the included apps included the ones so prominent on the front of the box - the My Little Pony, Kidz Bop, and Hello Kitty. They were disappointed that the "Choice of 1 App" was only one of three choices, and all geared to the younger audience. My kindergarten-aged daughter already reads proficiently and is beginning second-grade math, so she was disappointed with the choices offered to her out of the box. She wants the paid apps. If you are giving this as a gift, consider including an app as part of the gift! Especially, if your child is an advanced learner or has a favorite Disney character that has an app.

I am very satisfied with the LeapPad Ultra. Reservations aside at the pricing of the "apps," I use and heartily recommend LeapFrog's products because of their researched, thoughtful, and tested end products. The customization in the Connect software is unparalleled. I do use all features of this product as a technically-proficient home. I am a technical writer and my husband also works in software technologies. We believe strongly in the technical education of our children, and are glad to see LeapFrog making strides to educate children in technology skills in an entertaining and fun way.

‹ Previous | 15 6 765 | Next ›