4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Idea, but not necessary to play the device.
I was able to snag one from leapfrog.com when they first released the purple glitter one for my daughters new leappad....I should add I also got it for the retail price of ten dollars. Honestly, I would not pay a dime over that. It looks like it will protect if dropped, we haven't found out yet since she isn't getting it until Christmas ;)
I can say, a good thing...
Published on December 6, 2011 by SmartMomma

3.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't Fit Leappad 2
I bought this because Amazon showed this product was frequently purchased with the LeapPad 2. Unfortunately it does not work with the LeapPad 2. I feel a bit mislead but I suppose it was my own fault for not researching the matter more.
Published on August 31, 2012 by R. LeDrew

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Idea, but not necessary to play the device., December 6, 2011
This review is from: LeapFrog LeapPad1 Gel Skin, Green (Works only with LeapPad1) (Toy)
I can say, a good thing about the gel skin is if you get a leappad in a color you didn't want, getting the skin will basically change the color, as it completely covers up the entire color on the toy already. And it is NOT pink (the girls one) it is 100% purple w/glitter. It fits in the leappad case and zips just fine with the skin on it incase you are wondering. Don't give into these hijacked prices, wait until January when more are released for retail and save yourself the money.

4.0 out of 5 stars Clearing up the issue: does it fit the LeapPad2?, September 5, 2012
= Durability:5.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:3.0 out of 5 stars
I have both the original LeapPad and LeapPad2. I bought this Gel Skin for my son's LeapPad2 because it was only $9 and I had heard it would fit. It DOES fit but just not the perfect fit you may be expecting. Fitted on the original LeapPad it goes on smooth, the cameras are not covered, the corners are wrapped tightly, and everything lines up perfectly. You can even get the stylus in and out without any trouble. This Gel Skin is made for the original LeapPad so it fits like a glove.

LeapPad2 you will have to kind of force the Gel Skin into place. The Stylus rope loop does not line up with the hole and neither does the stylus pen slot - it's slightly off - you can still insert the pen, but little hands might find it difficult. My 3 year old never puts the pen back, so it doesn't matter. The front camera is covered just a tad (see reviewer's picture), but it doesn't affect the pictures at all. The back camera is covered a little, too, but again, it doesn't affect pictures. The top part - cartridge slot, headphones, and USB port - all fit perfectly. The slot for the recharger is slightly off - I don't have a charger so I don't know if it affects use, but I doubt it would because it's only a little off. The hole for the mic is covered and not in the right spot; my son doesn't use that feature so it doesn't matter. Oh, and the bottom rope loop for lefties that's new to the LeapPad2 obviously isn't there on this Gel Skin. If you need that slot, you can probably just cut out a whole for it.

I probably should have just bought the LeapPad2 version, but it was cheaper and I took a chance. However, if you have one already and are getting a LeapPad2, or find one at a discount that you just have to have, it's fine to get it, you'll still get good coverage. The reason the Gel Skin doesn't fit the LeapPad2 as effectively is because the battery compartment is different and raised slightly on both sides, which doesn't allow the Gel Skin to wrap around as nicely.

Hope that helps clear up the issue and makes your decision making easier.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great protection for Leap Pad, May 26, 2012
Wish I would have been able to order this product sooner! My son received a LeapPad for Xmas but the Gel skin was on backorder at that time so we just got the carrying case which does a great job for storage but is useless when he is using the tablet. Four year old boys are tough on any toy and the LeapPad is no exception, it held up great before the gel skin but now it looks great again (not to mention, its saved us from more scratches, specifically around the edges). He had dropped it a couple of times on concrete and the gel skin and LeapPad are unphased. It's durable and thick and it appears that it will hold up, great product!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fits great, good deal, January 23, 2013
Great protection for a much-used (and much dropped) children's toy. Only difficulty was that you can't fit the leapfrog with this gel skin inside the leapfrog carrying case very well.

3.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't Fit Leappad 2, August 31, 2012
R. LeDrew (Annville, United States) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Skin for LeapFrog LeapPad, March 21, 2012
The product is as described. It's a very good protector for the LeapPad. Helps keep scratches off the pad.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what it says it is!, October 3, 2012
The day before it arrived our leap pad fell out of the car and got dinged up on the corner. DANG! I just wish we would've had it earlier. It fits perfectly and does what it is supposed to PROTECT our investment. Our son didn't even notice a difference so it doesn't affect the playing of the pad.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Gel Cover For LeapFrog Explorer, October 24, 2012
I've got two boys who share a LeapFrog LeapPad Explorer. I was worried about bumps and the system being dropped, so I purchased this gel cover. It fits perfectly, helps the kids grip the system better, keeps it from sliding off laps, and does protect the edges/corners when dropped.

5.0 out of 5 stars Durable Addition, July 22, 2012
= Durability:5.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:1.0 out of 5 stars
Get it for the leap pad, because even if your kids are careful they will still drop it once in a while. My kids have dropped theirs and the skin protects it from scratches and impact damage to internals.

Plus, it makes the leap pad easier to grip and handle. Must Buy!

3.0 out of 5 stars DOES NOT FIT LEAPPAD 2, August 10, 2012
While it seems like very good quality it does not fit the LeapPad 2. I was very disappointed and will be sending it back.

LeapFrog LeapPad1 Gel Skin, Green (Works only with LeapPad1)
$9.99 $6.85