5.0 out of 5 stars A good buy
I think my four-year-old will learn some good things from this book. For those wanting to know exactly what is inside here's the run-down.

The first page is for learning the alphabet and the sound of each letter.
One page has an activity to complete a pattern.
Published 23 months ago by biogeek

3.0 out of 5 stars Not helping this PSer get ready for Kindy
My 4.5 just isn't into this book, she prefers her other "character" books. We'll give it another go as we get further into the year.
Published 7 months ago by Ginthemusicmama

5.0 out of 5 stars A good buy, October 13, 2012
This review is from: LeapFrog LeapReader Book: Get Ready for Kindergarten (works with Tag) (Toy)

The first page is for learning the alphabet and the sound of each letter.
One page has an activity to complete a pattern.
Another page asks the child to identify blend sounds like "br" and "st" by finding pictures of words that begin with those sounds as well as by touching the letter combinations.
One page has two monsters and groups of different numbers of candies (1-9). The child needs to identify the numbers and do simple addition.
The child can learn about the seasons and months of the year on another page.
Another page has dinosaurs on it. The child can hear the names slowly pronounced and learn which are carnivores and herbivores.
The last page has five pictures depicting sad, scared, angry, silly and happy. The child hears a short clip of music and is asked to choose the emotion the music sounds like. They can also make their own music by selecting the emotion and then clicking on five different instruments.

There may be a page or two I have forgotten or games I haven't heard my daughter play, but I don't have the book in front of me. My daughter has only had this book for a week and she has played with it for at least 30-40 minutes every day.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it! (even for a child younger than the age range), November 12, 2012
I admit it - I bought this because the cover was so colorful and engaging, that I thought even if my 2 year old was way too young for the content, we could still have some fun exploring the pictures until she is more advanced. I'm glad I did. Even though there are definitely many elements in this book which are beyond a 2 year old's abilities, the Leapfrog system itself operates under so many levels that it can actually be tailored for a much younger child's exploration. At one level (the youngest ability level), she can just play with exploring the names and sounds of the illustrations (very basic). The games and activities for older children seem very engaging covering a wide range of topics:

Activity 1: A two page spread of a refridgerator with an illustration for each letter of the alphabet - and you help the narrator find items ("Hmm, I would like a sandwich. Please help me find something to put on it.") with great positive reinforcement.

Activity 2: A two page "vowel show" with really adorable illustrations, focusing on the vowel sounds in context.

Activity 3: The word circus -- an exploration of letters and words - again, with great, vibrant illustrations

Activity 4: Consanat Blend Galary -- haven't played with this one at all, but on the left side of the page you see a painter with an easel and the paint colors each have consant blends ("sw," "tr," "br," etc.) - and on the right side of the 2-page spread there are 20 of his "paintings."

Activity 5: A two page spread story about a special lunch, with Leap (the frog) as the main character - and involves some math skills as we count the items he eats.

Activity 6: Pattern Palace -- a very creative way to work with young children's ability to understand pattern development.

Activity 7: Skip counting - featuring 50 numbered birds and questions to guide your child through counting games. My toddler is too young for this, but enjoys just clicking on each bird to hear its number and sound effects.

Activity 8: Monster mathematics -- very realistic illustrations of candy (8 candy canes, 5 chocolates, 2 candy corns, etc.) - and the monster makes great "munching" sounds as you help him pick the right quantity/etc.

Activity 9: Months and Seasons (haven't tried yet, will update)

Activity 10: Party months (haven't tried yet, will update)

Activity 11: My community -- two page spread of a town with key buildings (hospital, fire station, barber shop, cinema, post office, police, zoo, supermarket, ice cream shop) with descriptions/songs/etc. Great page!

Activity 12: Dinorsaur class photo -- adorable pictures of various, detailed dinosaurs with fun facts and sounds. Definitely lots of content here (and dinosaurs I have never heard of!)

Activity 13: Feelings funhouse: an exporation of feelings through music and illustrations. Great idea, but the illustrations on this one are not as great as the other pages.

I think a bright 3 year old would get A LOT out of this. And because it's not a long story, it can be used in short bursts - just flipping through the pages or doing one page here, one page there. I really do recommend this highly.

5.0 out of 5 stars This will be a parent's favorite!, November 9, 2012
I love this book and all the different skills it teaches. I hope they make more for the other grades. I will list the activities:

ABC SNACK TIME: Alphabet in the fridge w/corresponding food or item above it. Example - H has 3 hot dogs in hats above the letter. Game will tell you to find the letter 'k', or find the pizza, or find the letter that makes the 'lllll' sound.

THE VOWEL SHOW: The vowels are listed. Below are some simple words like wig, bat, lips, etc with a picture of what is word is. Game will say find the vowel that makes the 'aaaaa' sound. Or find three words that have the sound 'aaaa' in it, like cat. If you find the three words it makes a silly sentence out of them.

WORD CIRCUS: Small words like pig, wig, fox, box. Games focus on finding beginning sound, rhyming and spelling the simple words. (This game reminds me of the Leapfrog flash cards)

CONSONANT BLEND GALLERY - teaches some blends, like 'sk', 'gr', 'cl', etc. Has pictures that begin w/the blends and the game will instruct you to find a picture that starts with one of the various blends. As I am using this as an ESL tool also, this game annoys me with the goofy french accent, which my son has some problems understanding.

THE SPECIAL LUNCH: This is a simple written story, with an occasional picture thrown in to represent a noun, rather than having the written word. So it goes, "Leap made himself a (picture of a sandwich)." Later, it will ask you questions about what the story was about, like "Who did Leap make a sandwich for?"

PATTERN PLACE: A picture of a park with a guy driving blowing a horn, boy playing drums....and then the game will give you a sequence of noises to repeat. The second page has deals with shapes and completing patterns using sequence.

SKIP COUNTING - A tree of birds with numbers on their bellies. Count by ones first, then later by 10's and some other variations.

MONSTER MATHEMATICS - Piles of different candy in different amounts. Find who has more - 1 marsh mallow or 2 candy canes. Then it's find less. Then adding the candy.

MONTHS AND SEASONS - Reviews the months and seasons.

PARTY MONTH - Reviews months, days of the week and dates.

MY COMMUNITY - picture of a town with different buildings/areas labeled. Help find Tommy and it gives you clues to try and find him. Next game is also clues "This person works with mail, who is it?" Reminds me of Sesame Streets, 'who are the people in your neighborhood' song.

DINOSAUR CLASS PHOTO - Identify herbivores and carnivores/those that walk on two legs, and by other characteristics. Then listen to clues to try and figure out what dinosaur to find

FEELINGS FUNHOUSE - mixes feelings (silly, scared, angry, sad and happy) with music.

Please forgive the typos....

5.0 out of 5 stars 4 yr old son loves it, February 4, 2013
There are so many different activities in this book. From the alphabet fridge to the counting games. My son loves this whole book and spends at least five minutes each day going through it. It might not sound like a lot, but he really dislikes learning and five minutes is long for a four year old boy running on what seems like gasoline all day.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for all levels, December 21, 2012
I bought this book for my 3 year old with hopes to review concepts he already knows and to teach new concepts. I wanted this to be a book he could grow into. He can count to 30 and just recently learned his letters, but is still shaky on a few. I was worried that the other pages in this book would be over his head and he'd lose interest, but I was dead wrong about him losing interest. He LOVES this book. He insists on bringing it in the car and even into the store with us.

There are so many interactive things to do in this activity book. He loves the learning games but also loves to just touch different pictures with the pen. Even though he currently only has little understanding of a calendar, the calendar pages in this book are some of his favorites.

Each page has something for children at various levels. The alphabet pages help us review letters but also help introduce phonics. I could go on and on about this book. It truly is a great book for kids.

My son, in all his excitement, ripped one of the pages, which is why I rated it 4 starts for durability. He knows how to turn pages without ripping usually, but he loves this book so much he literally tears into it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Favorite!, December 16, 2013
Favorite Tag Book at our house! Full of age-appropriate games, funny sounds, and educational facts that my children love. My five year old can spend an hour pouring over each page, and belly laughs can be heard from his room while he plays. Our favorite pages are the dinosaur page, the skip counting, the community map, the patterns, the calendar pages, and the vowel show. This book is a must for kindergarten age Tag Pen owners!

5.0 out of 5 stars My daughter loves it more than her other tag books., December 4, 2013
My daughter loves this book because of the fun game pages. This book is more for exploring concepts like math and letter sounds rather than just reading. She got this when she was 3 and she didn't have the patience to sit down and read a whole story at once. With this book she can play as little or as long as she wants.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loves to read., November 13, 2013
I sent the LeapFrog LeapReader Reading and Writing system to my Grand daughter with several extra books. She loves every thing the can do and loves to read on her own. Thank you LeapFrog for all your wonderful products!

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product but USPS made me pay 5 extra dollars!, July 10, 2013
I am very upset because USPS charged me for an aditional 5 $ for this package in the moment of the delivery. This is the first time I have to pay anything else for a product I already have paid for (shipping and handling included)!!!

The product its excellent and my niece loves it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining with multiple topics, November 7, 2012
My 3 year old son loves this book. I bought a couple of the branded movie books, but he still prefers this one. He loves the different entertaining topics. He has his favorite pages now, but when he gets tired of those he can change to new favorites later.

LeapFrog LeapReader Book: Get Ready for Kindergarten (works with Tag)
$13.99 $9.57