5.0 out of 5 stars Great game!
Published on October 21, 2009 by Pris

3.0 out of 5 stars Wolverine and the X-Men for Leapster, Leapster 2
Published on March 12, 2011 by Shoe Lover

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great game!, October 21, 2009
This review is from: LeapFrog Leapster Learning Game: Wolverine (Toy)
I got this game for my son for his fourth birthday. He loves it! I was worried it would be too old for him since the age suggestion is 5 and up, but he has had no problem. He loves all the mapping questions: learning coordinates, identifying continents; and it's fun to hear him find South America and rescue super-heroes! Another concern was that it would be too scary b/c Wolverine isn't exactly a kid-friendly character, but it isn't scary at all. A good buy!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Wha???, October 21, 2010
C. Burke (Old Forge, PA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: LeapFrog Leapster Learning Game: Wolverine (Toy)
Ok, so I read an earlier review mentioning that this shows a girls cleavage, so initially i wasn't going to get it for my son. But seeing at to how the super hero selection is limited on the leapster I decided to get it and check it out first before giving it to him. Yes, the one character has breasts, and yes they show a little, but honestly someone made way too big of a deal about that. The boy will see more cleavage going to the local mall.

He loves the game, and loves his super heroes, and I cannot deny that this game is teaching him things, as I am seeing his progress when I connect the leapster to my computer.

I say, if your on the fence for the above reason, then forget it and buy. I just with there were more super hero leapster games!

3.0 out of 5 stars Wolverine and the X-Men for Leapster, Leapster 2, March 12, 2011
= Durability:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: LeapFrog Leapster Learning Game: Wolverine (Toy)
WARNING: If your family & lifestyle are conservative, then this game is not for your children. It does show a bit of cleavage, but it does NOT zoom in on just the cleavage as one reviewer exaggerated. Is it inappropriate? That will depend as I stated earlier, if you're conservative or not. I will say it's not appropriate for a class room type of setting (wouldn't want to get any teachers in trouble).

I found & bought this game yesterday evening at our local Wal-mart for $5 (it was on clearance). There were 2 left & I grabbed 1 of them hoping it would be a good one. My son has about 20 Leapster games so far & we continue adding to his collection. We both love the Leapfrog brand items...they're the best. My son has learned so much through the Leapfrog products...they're very educational.

I took a risk by buying this game, but sometimes you can't go by what others' opinions are. Sometimes you need to find things out on your own. So I opened & tested this game first (before my son had a chance to play it). I wanted to see firsthand how inappropriate it was and to find out if it was educational enough & entertaining enough for my son. I personally, didn't find it inappropriate for my 6 yr. old son (who's very bright & inquisitive) because he's been well aware of what cleavage are and that they're used to breast feed babies. He showed curiosity in cleavage when he was about 3, 4 yrs. old. While it was rather awkward for me to answer his questions, who best to explain this to him than his own mother? I rather him know & hear the truth from me than from someone else. Kids will be inquisitive & ask questions...it's human nature,nothing out of the ordinary. I understand everyone has their own way of raising children & I respect that. However, I still feel two reviewers in particular exaggerated & blew this out of proportion. This is not a perverted type of game. It's a game from Leapfrog for crying out loud! Leapfrog hasn't made any products for children that are inappropriate.

I feel this game is pretty educational & fun. It teaches children geometry (the narrator tells you facts about the shape you're tracing), geography & map skills (again tells you facts & bits of information on the place your child has selected), phonics & letter sounds, and number sequencing & patterns. My son likes this game so far & he hasn't even once mentioned anything at all about the cleavage or the female character. This game has kept his attention & you can tell he's learning something new (map skills). He loves saving mutants, fellow X-Men & loves fighting the Sentinel robots. I rated it 3 stars, because it wouldn't let me put 3.5...overall it's a pretty good game.

I wanted to point out that the purpose & focus of this game is to teach children about geometry, etc. & not about cleavage. Please just keep that in mind. However, if you think it will bother you, then don't buy the game for your child(ren). By the way, I usually don't write reviews this long because I can't stand reviews long enough to be a novel.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good game, but rather short, especially when compared with "Batman: Strength in Numbers", August 12, 2010
Fry Boy (Orlando, FL USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: LeapFrog Leapster Learning Game: Wolverine (Toy)
The game teaches a few different things, namely mapping (you have to move to different points on a city grid per spoken directions) and geography (it tells you to select Asia on a map, for instance). Every once in a while, you have to fight a "sentinel" to free a captured mutant.

Seems like a game better suited to ages 4 through 7 rather than 5 through 8. Also, my 6.75-year-old daughter blazed through the missions which, admittedly, are somewhat repetitive.

And don't worry about that superheroine that one or two people complained about. Her cleavage was NOT overaccentuated by any stretch of the imagination, so don't worry about that.

1.0 out of 5 stars I AM IRATE!, December 29, 2009
This review is from: LeapFrog Leapster Learning Game: Wolverine (Toy)
Since there is no where to leave comments on the leapster website, I thought I'd try to warn a few parents on here. DO NOT BUY THIS GAME, if you care at all about the exposure of sexual symbols to your young sons. I'm not trying to come off as prudish, but a game that is targeted towards such a young and naive group should not have voluptuous women who are half naked. My son received this game and as I sat next to him while he played it I was shocked. The narrator who has cerebral powers is a female with a large chest and the game constantly shows close-ups of her cleavage. I realize that in comic books women are portrayed this way, however my son has a spiderman/wolverine v-smile game that is perfectly harmless and appropriately modified for his age group. I just can't believe leapster would include this...it's completely unnecessary! My husband tried to fix it so it would skip the storyboard, but she still is shown in each game giving direction to wolverine. I have no problem with using beautiful females, etc. but her proportions are so unrealistic and her extra large breasts are only half covered. How do we expect our poor boys to ever gain respect for the beauty of women if they're always shown women who are unrealistic sexual symbols?

Okay, enough. You can make your own decision at this point.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great game for boys, December 29, 2009
This review is from: LeapFrog Leapster Learning Game: Wolverine (Toy)
I am a big fan of the leapster games so it was no surprise when I gave this to my just 4 year old son and he loved it! Worth the money and great entertainment for long card rides.

5.0 out of 5 stars My son loves it., January 7, 2010
This review is from: LeapFrog Leapster Learning Game: Wolverine (Toy)
This is one of the two items that my son wanted for Christmas more than anything else. He was extremely happy to see it when he opened his present. He has played with it for hours at a time. He is only 4, so there are some things he doesn't quite understand, but he will in time. I love all of the Leapster games he has so far. The educational quality in most are very good, but what I like most is watching my son get excited because he is learning and he can do them by himself. He is very independent. Excellent game.

1.0 out of 5 stars Do Not Buy this Game, May 21, 2010
Just Me "Momto3" (Indianapolis, Indiana United States) - See all my reviews
= Durability:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: LeapFrog Leapster Learning Game: Wolverine (Toy)
I bought this game for my son along with his Leapster and it was marketed for ages 5-8. My son is 5 so I thought this would be a neat game for him. It is a little tough to navigate for a 5 year old. Also, it is so inappropriate for young boys. The lady on the game has a very low cut top and a lot of cleavage shows. We did not get very far into the game before I took it back to the store for a refund. I hope that Leapster will reconsider marketing this game to 5 to 8 year olds. I am going to call the company as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the Best Leapster Games, January 22, 2011
This review is from: LeapFrog Leapster Learning Game: Wolverine (Toy)
The Wolverine game was bought for a very bright 4yr-old boy and he loves it. There are many facets to the game and I believe it is the best of all the Leapster games I have bought. It offers many different techniques and learning objectives - and I was surprised that all the information fit on one disk. I definitely recommend Wolverine to anyone searching for most 4+ to 8 year-olds.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wolverine and crew = awesomeness, June 7, 2011
This review is from: LeapFrog Leapster Learning Game: Wolverine (Toy)
I had read a review about how inappropriate some of the images are with busty women. i bought it anyway and was prepared. i guess it's not flagrant enough to offend me. in fact, i guess i would rather them see the cartoon characters than learn all the awful verbage available on other cartridges or books. (captain underpants, anyone?) My four year old really liked the mapping sequence. it was just challenging enough to keep him occupied without frustrating him. my seven year old found the same to be easy and was delighted to move up and through the game quickly making him feel like a rocket scientist. all in all, good clean fun.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›