5.0 out of 5 stars Mr Pencil has so much fun to offer!
Published on April 22, 2004 by Shauna Sheridan

3.0 out of 5 stars frustrating
Published on January 3, 2004 by Carol J. Cercone

5.0 out of 5 stars Mr Pencil has so much fun to offer!, April 22, 2004
Shauna Sheridan (Pleasant Grove, UT United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: LeapFrog Leapster Learning Game Mr. Pencil's Learn to Draw and Write (Toy)
While the other reviewer are right that the pen is a little sensitive, there are so many other great things about this game that I would still gladly give it 5 stars. My 3 year old actually loves mixing the colors and seeing what colors mix to make what, and then painting with the colors. She likes using the stamps and changing their size and rotating them. She like the color drop game where you have to pick the right 2 colors you need to mix a secondary color, and the maze game where you have to make it through the maze without touching the lines. My seven year old loves to paint pictures on it, and she love the learn how to draw animals and objects. She likes how you can save your artwork till later so she can pick up and work more on a picture, or animation. She likes the game what picture is it, where they start to draw a picture and you have to figure out which of the pictures at the bottom is the one they are drawing and see how many you can guess in the time frame. My son who is 10 even likes it. He thinks the maze game is cool, and he likes doing animation/flip books on it. This is a great cartridge and so many kids of so many ages love it. It even has cool things to learn about shading objects, making fun looking alphabet letters, lessons in color mixing and so much more. If you are buying it for just the learning to do letters with your young toddler, then you need to know that the first few times you have to be prepared to sit down with them and draw with them, because they just don't have that steady of hand, but don't ever disqualify this one because of that, it has way too many other things to offer. I even think it has more on that cartridge to do then any of the other cartridges, plus it's fun for all ages.

3.0 out of 5 stars frustrating, January 3, 2004
Carol J. Cercone "boblucy7" (andover, n.j. United States) - See all my reviews
= Durability:5.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:4.0 out of 5 stars
This game can be frustrating and annoying.I purchased this game for my 6 year old,she is often annoyed by Mr. Pencils comments.He is a character who is supposed to help,but he interuptes when slight mistakes are made...not very encouraging.The double doodle activity is double frusration,after every line you draw Mr.Pencil is supposed to duplicate it on another part of the screen ,but he draws the lines all over the screen sometimes on top of the picture your trying to draw,this makes my kid nuts!I thought this game would have more art tools for creative work,the cartridge that comes with the leapster has cooler special effects then this.All that said,this game is educational teaching pencil control,color,helping kids draw through tracing and copying.It's OK.....Could have been better.

2.0 out of 5 stars Forget about it!, July 12, 2005
I gotta echo the review by "frustrating" -- my daughter LOVES her Leapster but dumped this cartridge early on after several frustrating attempts. She was excited to practice her letters, but the game requires the child to draw precise lines that match the on-screen template and also to use prescribed line strokes following little arrows on each letter -- e.g., when drawing the two "humps" on a letter "B" if the child picks up the pen between the "humps" it won't accept the letter. Come on. Pretty discouraging when the game rejects every letter your 5-year old tries to draw along with little annoying comments for each try. If your child has mastered drawing upper and lower case letters why would they want to play this game and if they are still learning they don't draw precise even lines. The rest of the game didn't go much better. And echo the problems others had with the drawing functions. Other Leapster cartridges like Dora and Kindergarten were big hits and are played endlessly, but don't expect much from this one.

3.0 out of 5 stars Very educational, but can be a little frustrating, December 31, 2003
By A Customer
= Durability:4.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:5.0 out of 5 stars
I bought this game along with others for my nearly 5 daughter on Christmas and I would consider this game as more challanging than the others. For one thing this game can be a Task master! On the drawing lessons, it gives you drawings to trace and instructions. It expects you to pretty much stay close to the line and to continue until you reach the red dot or you must start the line over. My daughter asked me for help on some of the more challanging lines and this isn't that easy on some! On the maze games you can't touch the maze lines or you must start over. Having to start over in the middle when you've tried so hard can be very discouraging and frustrating, and my daughter has put down this game to play instead with the Dora the Explorer cartridge!
On the plus side this game is extremely educational. My daughter was definitely learning better control with the pencil, and color theory. I think she'll have an easier time with the more challanging drawings when she's older. The one thing I wish the game did though was to be a little more encouraging and to allow the child to finish the drawing, then tell them to try again, instead of interupting when an error is made, which can be discouraging.

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING!, October 30, 2004
Wow! This is one of the best cartridges I have seen for the Leapster! My little boy is getting a Leapster for Christmas and some games. I just purchased this cartridge yesterday and decided to try it out to see what I thought of it. I like to look at all the things before my son gets them this way I know what to do to help him.

This cartridge simply amazed me. It has so many things on one cartridge! I had read reviews of Mr. Pencil being critical- I can't say he won't be with a young child because my little boy has'nt played this yet, but there is so many activities on this cartridge that I am not too worried about that yet.

This cartridge teaches the primary and secondary colors, it has a game called color drop where you have to mix the right two colors together to get the right color they are wanting to you to paint with, it has mazes, you trace over uppercase and lower cases alaphabet, numbers, shapes and pictures. There is a game called Mr. Doodle and whatever you draw then Mr. Pencil will copy- so cute! There is a coloring book mode with lots and lots of pictures to color, a blank page where you can add stamps, doodle, write. There is an anamation game where you draw several pictures and it will put them together quickly and it looks like its moving. That was really neat. You can do a bouncy ball or a man walking or a flower blooming and lots more. It teaches you about depth and how to draw things in 3d. There is EVEN MORE! I was just mind boggled at everything on this Leapster Cartridge and I give it 5 stars!

Your child will learn lots of great things with Mr. Pencil Learn and Draw and even though he may be critical over tracing the letters, numbers and shapes game, there is tons of other things your child can do and learn from.

I suggest this game for anyone!

1.0 out of 5 stars Way TOO frustrating!!, November 21, 2005
mom (Columbus, OH) - See all my reviews
The concept of this game is great! And there is great potential on the specific tasks to explore. However, I (an adult) got frustrated trying to use it. It's way too sensitive on exactly where your lines need to be to have your item considered correctly drawn, or too sensitive to be able to keep your line within the line to do the mazes. I really wish this was easier to use. What a great concept - it's unfortunate it's too frustrating to use!

4.0 out of 5 stars Mr. Pencil is strict!, January 9, 2005
My 4 year old son loves his leapster and enjoys playing Mr. Pencil. It can cause considerable frustration however. Mr. Pencil expects alot of accuracy when tracing lines. Perhaps more accuracy than the somewhat crude Leapster touch screen can really provide.

We have found that adults have trouble meeting Mr. Pencil's standards at times. Try the Maze game for example...

Don't get me wrong, the Leapster is a great toy, and Mr. Pencil is worth the money. I advise parents to help their kids to avoid the frustration that stops learning in it's tracks. I joke with my son that Mr. Pencil is a bit "cranky" about accuracy and that we need to try and keep him quiet. By making fun of Mr. Pencil a bit we avoid frustration.

Nothing wrong with a challenge huh?

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally a fun way to practice her skills!!!, October 13, 2004
Where was Mr. Pencil when I was a child? I bought this cartridge for my four year old daughter who has been practicing writing her letters for about a year now. I have bought her many different kinds of practice books and writing paper only to find that she quickly tires of them. Mr. Pencil keeps her attention by making writing and drawing a fun interactive experience. She loves tracing her letters and numbers with Mr. Pencil. She finds it very easy to complete each task successfully. I feel the customers who have been having problems tracing the letters and numbers must have defective cartridges. I considered not buying Mr. Pencil because of the negative reviews stating the problems of the letter tracing program. I would just like to say I'm glad I purchased it. Mr. Pencil's Learn to Draw and Write is one of Leapster's best.

1.0 out of 5 stars Returned it to the store it was so bad, June 26, 2004
mommyimp (Bayside, NY United States) - See all my reviews
= Durability:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:3.0 out of 5 stars
I bought this title because I wanted my two children to practice writing their letters correctly. However we could never get the lines to correspond to where the pencil was. In order to trace a letter you had to actually draw the line an inch inside the line you were supposed to trace. Two calls to the company couldn't solve this problem and since we didn't have any problems with any other leapster software we were sure the calibration was right. This was very frustrating for my children especially because Mr. pencil cuts you off and makes you do it over if you go out of the line at all. There is no margin for error, very bad for kids just learning.
We have 5 other Leapfrog cartridges and we love using the leapster but Mr. Pencil is a DUD.

5.0 out of 5 stars #1 Leapster Game, November 3, 2006
This is the #1 played game by my five year old son. We also like playing the maze games. However I'm not sure where the problem is coming from but the calibration is off. When I press the pen to the screen the line draws off to the left about 2-3mm. Quite annoying but I'm assuming it's the unit. Mr. Pencil is still a real fun game even with this slight annoyance.