Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: LeapFrog Learn & Groove Counting Maracas
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on July 15, 2007
I'd had my eye on these for a while, because our 18-month-old son loves music and has had a great time with the Laugh and Learn Piano from Fisher Price. When I finally received the maracas, though, he didn't seem at all interested. In fact, he seemed to dislike the noises they make. One is just a plastic maraca with shaker beads inside, which didn't much interest him. The other is a battery-powered one that lights different colors and has three settings (numbers, colors and music) in English and Spanish. After a while, he would pick up the one that has lights and sounds and check it out. Now he really seems to like it, although he gets bored if it's on the music setting, because it plays the same short refrain over and over again. (I get bored, too.) The reason I didn't give this toy five stars is because of the limited musical selections. All of the Fisher Price toys have numerous song options, which helps to toy to stay "fresh." This one only holds his attention for a few minutes at a time. I gave four stars for durability because we've only had them a month. In that time, though, he has chucked them around a fair amount, and they seem OK.
11 comment| 71 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 18, 2007
I got these for my 1 year old Nephew for christmas, I wanted something he could grow with a bit but still enjoy now that was educational. He loved shaking the maracas and watching the colors change and he was even trying to mimic the voice counting colors and numbers a few times.

Definitely a great choice for any young kid who loves music.
on January 9, 2007
Bought this item for my recently year old twins. They love them. I was surprised to find that only one maraca was interactive. They are not very interested yet in the maraca that just rattles but I think this is a toy they will grow with. The twins love music so it is nice to be able to combine their love of music with learning.

I appreciate the fact that the maracas have a high and low setting for volume. I think the high volume is much too loud for a baby's ears.nw
on March 15, 2012
This toy is fun for a while, but really gets charming when the batteries run down:

If it is set to anything besides making music (either counting or colours), the background music will play normally (reminiscent of a Caribbean carnival), but the words will get long and drawn out, as if they were being played from cassette tape on a device with dying batteries. The lights and everything else works fine otherwise; it's really quite strange and I can't imagine why it would operate this way.

Usually a rather cheery female voice counts to ten or declares the colour of the light when you jostle the toy, but when the voice gets stretched out like this, it sounds more like a creepy ogre inside, groaning in agony from the agitation while happy xylophone music plays behind.

At first, this happens only occasionally with a word slipping here and there, but before you know it, the poltergeist takes over completely and your child is learning the art of exorcism.

This might be what you're looking for in a toy, or it might not.
on January 3, 2015
I got this item as a gift. When I received it I tried testing it but it didn't work so I assumed the batteries were dead and included them in the package. After my niece opens the package we open the item and put the batteries in and notice the batteries had acid on them from being old and the product didn't work. We didn't send it back because my niece liked chewing on it at the time anyways but I wouldn't recommend this product to anyone..
on January 11, 2007
We purchased this for our 15 month old granddaughter for Christmas this year and she just loves them. She has more fun with these than anything else she received. They have various settings for learning numbers, colors, etc., which at this point we need to change for her. But, she'll bring them to us and ask us to change it to a different setting! She'll be enjoying and learning from this product for a long time. We're very impressed with this product!
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon October 4, 2009
These Counting Maracas are worth it but the musical one is truly fun and has a great beat. The female voice says "shake it up." My twin 9 month-olds play with them here and there except when I roll them around the house with the music one. You can try this activity I describle below.

The one that lights up and has sounds is fun, especially in the dark. They liked it right away. Our biggest game with that one is where I roll them around the house in an umbrella stroller in the dark or near-dark while they get to hold the musical maracas. They love that. And it's not boring because there are 3 different tunes and with different verbal themes (colors, numbers and a "shake it up" one). This maracas has a lot of great sound effects too and you can also select English or Spanish and choose between 2 volume levels. We use all the options. My twin babies feel important holding onto it while taking a ride around the house, one at a time.

The one that one just shakes and makes rattle noises is better than expected although still a little big for their 9-month old hands. They shake that one, not the musical one since that one doesn't rattle. It's a welcome addition to their toy collection but by far the best one is the musical maracas. The musical maracas didn't have to be shaped like a maracas because it's not for shaking.

One potential issue: The batteries for this one are very tiny. I'm going to have to replace mine any day now and I'm not certain it will be easy to find this type of battery.
on January 26, 2016
These maracas light up and play music. They have both English and Spanish options to teach colors and numbers. I've seen several kids use them, and they are all mesmerized by the colorful, playful energy from this fun toy. Would recommend for anyone with small children.
VINE VOICEon February 22, 2015
Unit worked fine on low volume setting but when switched to high volume the unit worked in an erratic manor. Put in a fresh set of batteries, it worked fine again for a day at high volume then the same problem came back. I checked the batteries with a volt meter and each time the combined voltage drops by a little due to usage the audio goes erratic. The other problem is that the low volume is too low so that makes high volume the only option. Maybe I got a defective unit but at this point I cannot bother to return it.
on June 12, 2014
I was so happy to find these Maracas. I had bought them several years ago for my great-grandson, and wanted the same ones for my 1 yr. old great-grandson, but discovered they aren't available in stores and longer. They can be found, but at some ridiculous prices. Kids love them and were worth the price here.