5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE IT - cute songs/animations and educational!
Published on July 6, 2012 by I <3 Baby Toys

2.0 out of 5 stars good toy but way too loud
Published 22 months ago by Book nerd

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE IT - cute songs/animations and educational!, July 6, 2012
This is a great toy! My daughter is 22 months old and loves it - but she would have loved it a year ago too! It is the perfect size for little hands and the controls are very intuitive. The songs are a great blend of the classics (ABC song, Twinkle Little Star, Head Shoulders Knees + Toes, etc.) and Leapfrog's own creations (which are always catchy and fun). There are two volume options and adorable (albeit black and white) animations of the Leapfrog's cast of animal characters (all adorable). Well worth the asking price and a great educational option while on the go (as it's very light).

5.0 out of 5 stars My 11-month-old's FAVORITE toy., November 24, 2012
This review is from: LeapFrog Learn and Groove Music Player (Violet) (Toy)
My daughter loves music and loves to dance, so naturally she loves this toy, but I wanted to take the time to write a review, especially seeing the other bad ones. I have 4 baby radio-type toys and this is (by far) her favorite. We always move the toys around for variety and to maintain interest and she always seeks out this radio. Perhaps this music is more her style than the classical or the standard kid's songs on all her other toys, or maybe it's just the right size and fun to operate, but whatever the reason, she plays with this thing every day and has ever since she got it 4 months ago. She "picked" it herself at BRU, so she was drawn to it from the start. Maybe her age has something to do with it as well. This toy is recommended for 18m on Amazon, but I got it for my daughter around 7 months, so perhaps it won't be as entertaining in a year, but by then she'll have her own kid's MP3-player anyway and I doubt she'll want to listen to short clips like are on this toy.

Anyway, just wanted to hopefully bump the rating of this toy back up to where it belongs, because if someone were to choose between all the music-player toys in this price range for this age range, they'd do well to choose this one (even though it currently has a lower score). I have the Einstein classical radio, the v-tech spinning music player and a pink fisher-price one as well and this one is so much better! She is actually playing with it right now hehe. "I love to dance, dance with me!" Lol.

Also, I do not find this toy to be too loud. It hasn't even got the duct tape treatment that many of her other loud toys have. I also do not find this to be annoying (unlike many of her other toys that drive me crazy lol). So anyway, just trust me on this, this is probably the best baby radio out there right now and if you think it's too loud then perhaps do the duct tape treatment. If it's a really strong duct tape like Gorilla tape, you don't have to worry about them being able to peel it off either. I just don't think the rating for this toy is accurate having fallen below four stars. This is definitely worthy of 4 stars. Especially compared to the other baby radios that have a higher rating even though those toys suck! Lol.

5.0 out of 5 stars Packs in a lot of fun!, December 8, 2012
This review is from: LeapFrog Learn and Groove Music Player (Violet) (Toy)
Purchased this for our 13 month old grand daughter who just loves my ipod touch. I love her very much but just can't let her play, drop and drool on my $300 ipod! Here's what I love:

1. It has no flashing lights. Call me old fashioned, but I think toys today have too many flashing lights. (ADD/ADHD waiting to happen!)
2. Each button has 3 music modes for a total of 12 different games/options
3. One of the music modes is music activity-like-stand on one leg, wave your hands in the air until the music stops, etc. She'll like this better when she's older and GG likes that it's encouraging activity.
4. The alphabet song is a slightly different version than the old school and is extremely contagious!
5. It can be dropped and not miss a beat!
6. It's larger than I pictured it being-easier to not lose.

What's not a big deal to me about this:

1. The screen shown in the ads for the item show a much better contrast level than the item really has.
2.. There is a button in the middle that is tactile, (the round one shown) but the yellow, blue, green and pink buttons aren't buttons, but more like the arrows you have to push on a digital camera to move forward/back. 13 month old doesnt' "get that" yet, but older toddlers would. You'll end up hearing "Let's play some music!" repeated over and over and over (the response to touching the round button) until the child learns how to work the other buttons.
3. Some of the music modes are "created" songs you've never heard and are without words. (but some are familiar and with words, like Old MacDonald, the ABC song, etc)

My grand daughter carries it around like a prized possession, so 5 stars!

2.0 out of 5 stars good toy but way too loud, November 5, 2012
Book nerd (Saskatchewan) - See all my reviews
Bought this for my 17 month old, he loves it but the toy is way too loud. Even on the low setting its almost too loud for my own ears, on the high setting its way too loud for adults (I'd love to know how many decibles it is. Because my son loves to hold phones & devices such as this toy up to his ear I've had to take it away because the volume level, thus the toy is pretty much useless to us. Maybe I got a off one that is louder than normal - my other leap frog toys aren't near this bad but unless I can put something inside of it to lower the volume we won't be using it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cute, fun, and clever!!!, October 5, 2012
Cookie MOMster (Columbus, OH USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: LeapFrog Learn and Groove Music Player (Violet) (Toy)
In my opinion, this is Leap Frog's most adorable "Violet"-themed toy. My 15-month-old LOVES it! The music and animations are great! The only negative is that the volume, even at the lowest setting, is really loud. Otherwise, this is the cutest baby iPod-type thing ever! If your child loves music and dancing, she'll love this toy!

3.0 out of 5 stars A little loud., January 19, 2013
I got this for my one year old daughter. The toy is durable and has withstood several falls from the highchair to tile floor. The only problem with the toy is that the volume is really loud... too loud for a baby/toddler. I took the music player apart and put some dampening material around the coil and cone of the speaker. The dampening material reduced the volume of the speaker drastically (around 90%). Aside form the volume, it's a great toy for my little girl.

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderful for music-loving 17 month-old, January 11, 2013
My son loves music, dancing, and electronics. He dislikes sitting in his carseat with nothing interesting to hold his attention. This toy is amazing, and I can't recommend it enough. With buttons, sounds, a rudimentary screen with an animated dog on it, and the durability of a Sherman tank, this toy has won me over (even if my son's manic button pressing never lets a complee song, phrase, or sound escape - it's like living inside Mel Gibson's head during the movie Conspiracy Theory, only with kids' songs). I'd give it 11stars if I could!

2.0 out of 5 stars Not worth it, June 19, 2014
I bought this for my 1 1/2 year old who loves music. But when you press a button, it doesn't play music immediately, it has some really annoying intro for each song. And of course a 1 1/2 year old presses a button a thousand times a minute and doesn't understand that they have to wait for the song to play so this was interesting in spurts until he would lose interest a few minutes later and toss it aside. Now we just stream Pandora for music.

3.0 out of 5 stars Screen lacks functionality, April 2, 2014
My son got this for Christmas last year. He liked it at first, but the toy loses it's appeal quickly due to lack of features. The screen is very small. It's almost pointless. I found he liked to listen to the music more than interact with the display. However, the power consumption is very low and the batteries last a long time. It is a nice toy to take in the car since it's smaller. Probably would recommend one with a larger display or another with an adjustable screen contrast.

5.0 out of 5 stars Adorable "MP3" player, December 26, 2012
This review is from: LeapFrog Learn and Groove Music Player (Violet) (Toy)
Got this as a stocking stuffer for my 18 month old. It's a big hit but she loves music so I knew she would love it. The unexpected part is that my 3 year old likes it just as much. I thought it would be babyish for her but they have been fighting over it constantly. Great toy to keep in the diaper bag or car to keep them busy for a bit.

LeapFrog Learn and Groove Music Player (Violet)
$14.99