5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect toddler laptop--in purple!
I just received this in the mail today for my toddler and wanted to include some information for those of you debating a purchase. Here is the information from the booklet about the 3 functions and 3 modes of play:

1. Emails--lets you hear from scout and violet, plus 3 personalized emails chosen by you.
2. Music play list--includes instrumental and...
Published on May 20, 2010 by L. Kubala

2.0 out of 5 stars After a year, she still doesn't play with it much
Customer Video Review     Length:: 1:07 Mins
Published on September 16, 2011 by C. Rogers

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect toddler laptop--in purple!, May 20, 2010
This review is from: LeapFrog My Own Leaptop, Pink (Toy)

2. Music play list--includes instrumental and lyrical that you chose and download to the leaptop. The sing-along is 1 of 5 songs and and the instrumental lets you select 5 from a list of about 15. The character dances along on the screen.
3. Blog--hear the latest blog entries, personalized with your child's name at the end of each.
4. Alphabet mode--introduces letters and phonics. Hear the letter name and sound, plus an animal that starts with the letter.
5. Music Maker Mode--turns the keyboard into a music station. The paw print makes background beat while the 3 rows are: silly sound effects, percussion sounds, and piano key sounds.
6. Animal Mode--Learn about animals for each letter of the alphabet. Press a letter and hear a clue, the paw print reveals the animal it is.
You can also connect to the leapfrog learning path, something I have not yet explored.

My only complaint so far is the length of time it took to download the program from leapfrog, which was about 15 min. The actual set-up only took about 5 min and was very easy to follow. The laptop itself is a beautiful purple, and the outside is a darker purple than the inside, the same color as the keys. There is an off switch with a low and high volume. It also has a standby mode when it has a period of inactivity, to save battery life. It takes 3 AA batteries. The hinged screen is secure, where it won't shut on its own, but not so secure that it can't be closed easily. It is very lightweight and has a handle at the top, perfect for a toddler to carry around. The leaptop is about 9 inches from side to side, small but not too tiny. The mouse, which slides up and down, is used to select the modes. Unlike the laptop other retailers carry in which the mouse can move all directions, the simplicity of this one is perfect for small children. The bottom of the laptop has 4 feet, 2 of which have rubber stoppers so that it won't slide all over a table. The USB port is covered by a sliding, spring loaded cover so it will stay closed and hopefully prevent curious toddlers from playing with it. This leaptop also teaches your child how to spell their name, and is far more interactive than the others I've seen. I would definitely buy this leaptop again, it's everything I was looking for--cute, educational, and fun! I can't wait for my toddler to get her hands on this!!
UPDATE: She played with this for at least 3 hours last night, was the first thing she went for this morning (even picked it over cartoons), and she has probably given it another 3-4 hours this morning. She loves the alphabet mode and I have been impressed by the length of time this has held her attention. She is pretty advanced for her 20 months, but I have been amazed at her progress with the alphabet. What a great investment!

5.0 out of 5 stars Shocked by how much my daughter loves this!, February 25, 2011
This review is from: LeapFrog My Own Leaptop, Pink (Toy)
This toy was a gift and I have to confess I probably wouldn't have purchased this for my daughter because, in my admittedly limited experience, most of toys of this type are not worth the time or the money. This one is different.
Set-up, as a previous reviewer mentioned, was slightly aggravating as installation needed a little tweaking, but I found directions on the website that identified and fixed the problem without too much of a hassle. All-in-all, I spent about 10-15 minutes getting it ready for play, even with the little hiccup (I have some experience with the LeapFrog website as I have Violet the dog too - another great toy my daughter loves.
I was pleasantly surprised, however, by the immediate response from my daughter (she had just turned two a few weeks prior) who picked it up and started to play and explore the functions. She was engrossed to the point that she didn't want to open her other presents!
Now, I realize the attention-span of a toddler is a fleeting thing and I fully expected this to be one of those toys that would have a very short shelf-life, but here we are, 3-4 months later and she STILL plays with it on a daily basis. Durability has not been an issue as she has certainly put it through the wringer. She's dropped it, stepped on it, stood on it (I've stepped on it myself) and played with it roughly as toddlers do and it hasn't skipped a beat.
The best of all of this is the educational value. Now, granted, my daughter is a genius (as I'm sure your kid is too!), but after a few weeks of playing, she'd mastered all the letters of the alphabet and was able to generalize and identify (and verbalize) the letters on other items (shirts, signs, etc). As a parent, I was very excited to see such growth so quickly. That alone makes it worth it.
Having read some of the other reviews, I noticed people were criticizing the lack of a color display or the poor volume control, but let's be honest - the toy is a little over 20 bucks. What could you possibly expect? What you get, in my opinion, is worth every penny.

2.0 out of 5 stars After a year, she still doesn't play with it much, September 16, 2011
= Durability:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:2.0 out of 5 stars
Length:: 1:07 Mins

**We actually have the green one, but I think it's applicable to this one as well.** I asked someone to get my toddler this for her 2nd birthday. I thought she might grow into it because I figured it was a little beyond her at the time, and she is just fascinated by my laptop. I specifically wanted one that had a lid that opened and closed like mine. She occasionally plays the songs on it with the music note, but that's it. I have only used the sync capability twice because, if she's not playing with it, there's no use to change the songs or check her progress. She's now almost three. The customer service is poor, I agree. I, like many others I've read about online, have the version that says a jellyfish has "kentacles" instead of "tentacles". I didn't really expect them to do anything about it but I didn't expect them to say I was wrong and mishearing it. I'm not deaf, and I'm sure neither are the dozens of people who also have this flawed version. My main problem with it is the contrast. Even from the box it has always seemed so dark, and there's no way to adjust it - so frustrating!. I would have paid more to have it backlit. As it is, she's always drawn to the other laptops in the store (for example the Barbie one) that has a lit and colored display. I just thought I'd put this review in here as someone who's had it a while and can offer a long-term view of it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Could be better, August 30, 2010
This review is from: LeapFrog My Own Leaptop, Pink (Toy)
I've given this toy 4 stars, rather than 3, because ultimately it is fun and educational. However, I believe that the promotional sales jargon is deceptive and misleading. It tells you that you can 'choose from 20+ songs'(suggesting that you can have upto 20 songs on the computer, at least), what it doesnt clearly point out is that you can only have 6 songs downloaded from the pre-set playlist and no more songs can be added. Not only do you not get up to 20 songs, the songs that you do end up with are computerized and some are tinny and dont last very long. I also understood that my daughters name would be added into the songs and this is not the case. However, in addition to the 6 songs (5 instrumental and 1 with words that you can sing along to) that you can choose from, there is one additional song that is included that spells your child's name. All in all, this is a good product, I just wish there were more songs and maybe even a colour screen.

1.0 out of 5 stars BEWARE!!! This is not the item advertised on their website!!, November 7, 2013
I bought this product for one of my granddaughters several years ago and she loved it. I personalized it and created my own emails for her. It also said her name whenever she opened the lid. The one I bought her is still shown on the LeapFrog website, so I bought another one for my other granddaughter's birthday. However, the new 2013 version has been stripped of all of these functions!!! You no longer can hook it up to a computer to personalize. I had to call twice and speak to two different people in customer service to finally find someone who could tell me the problem--the version I bought before is not available anymore. I'm so frustrated with this false advertising. I would assume a large company such as LeapFrog would be able to update their website to provide appropriate information on products they sell. I will have to return this item and her birthday is today! I've never written a bad review before, but I wanted to warn others. This product is not worth the money, the customer service is poor, and they do not sell what they advertise.

3.0 out of 5 stars Cute, pink and somewhat educational, January 6, 2011
This review is from: LeapFrog My Own Leaptop, Pink (Toy)
Honestly, I am not sure how educational this toy is, if anything it is mostly a toy that is fun to play with.

Remember that:
You *must* have a computer to have the full benefit of this toy! Hooking it up to the computer allows you to fully access all feature, which includes customization.

My daughters favorite part of this toy:
We customized it so that she gets "emails" from mom, dad, grandma, etc. She loves that it says her name.

It comes with the 3 AA batteries that takes
It can be customized to say your child's name
It has some cute music
It's more fun to play with as a toy so far, not so educational

It may be that my daughter, at 3.5 years old, is too young to get the full educational value out of it. Still, it seems more like a toy that can be distracting rather than an educational toy that allows for fun exploration. It's very noisy too, so keep that in mind :)

So far, I believe we still have the same batteries that it came with so it seems to be easy on batteries (it depends on how much you use it though, daily heavy use may result in short battery life).

4.0 out of 5 stars MISLEADING - UPDATE, June 4, 2014
Below is my original review. However, it appears the seller has updated the information so that it is no longer misleading. I change my rating from one star to four stars, as the product is a fine, durable toy, the little girl we purchased it for is having fun with it, and it is cute and educational. I knocked off a star because the toy itself just isn't as cool as the previous model, but it is otherwise great.

***********************

This is absolutely not the product being advertised.

We purchased this as a gift for another little girl, and while we know she will still enjoy the product as it is, it is NOT the Leaptop we thought we were getting. My parents purchased the fully customizable Leatop for our daughter a couple years ago, and that one was the one you hook up to the internet to add in names, family members, songs, etc. When I opened this one to customize it for the little girl we were giving it to, I knew something was up when it didn't come with a USB cord. I looked all over for the slot, planning to use my own cord, before realising that it's not just a different design, it's not the Leaptop that is described here on this page, at all. This one, I was able to use "parental control" mode (a series of buttons pressed when turning it on) and type in the little girl's name... but that was it. Violet never says the girl's name (they do spell it in a song), and you can't add in messages from family members or choose what they say, or pick songs. No connecting to the internet, like described.

While we have no plans to return it, we just wanted to make sure people who think they are getting the one with internet connectivity and customization, TOTALLY NOT WHAT THIS IS. Our daughter still opens her old one and smiles when Violet actually says out loud: "Hi, [child name]!" and she responds, "Hi, Violet!" You won't be getting that with this item. Please, seller, change the description. I'll be happy to give a better rating if you would accurately tell folks what they're actually purchasing.

* I see someone else saying the same thing. Still gonna leave this review up until something has changed, to make sure people know what they're getting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Keeps her learning..., November 12, 2010
This review is from: LeapFrog My Own Leaptop, Pink (Toy)
I purchased this fpr my two year old. I love the fact that you can program your childs name in it. My baby loves to turn it on and hear it say her name. She can play with this for hours. Great for road trips. Great for learning.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great toy for my 2 y-o's birthday!, January 26, 2011
This review is from: LeapFrog My Own Leaptop, Pink (Toy)
This is the perfect balance of fun sounds, shapes and games that is easy for a 2-3 y-o to use! I was looking for a 'laptop' toy for my daughter's 2nd birthday but most out there were either too easy (just colored shapes and lights, not a lot of interaction) or too hard (real keyboard, hard to play if you can't read yet.) She liked playing with my son's Star Wars laptop toy, but she would get frustrated because she couldn't make it do the things he could without help. It has a qwerty keyboard but there are 3 different settings so you can put it on alphabet, music or animal games so you don't have to know your letters to have fun with it! There is an email button at the top which she loves because if you hook it up to your computer, you can personalize up to 3 emails to be 'sent' to her. When she pushes it, she hears "You have an email from Mommy!" or Daddy or C---- (her brother.) You can also personalize it with their name. She loves opening it and hearing, "Hi, K------! Let's learn about (animals, music or the alphabet)" There is a playlist button that you can customize, again via USB. Every kid has their favorite songs so you can program it to play 3 favorite kids songs and there is a list that you choose 2 classical instrumentals from.

Basically I can't say enough about it. If they just want to push random buttons, they will love it. If they are a bit older and can follow simple instructions, the voice of the toy speaks slowly and clearly so your child doesn't have to read to play the learning games so again, I think they will love it. Mine sure does!

5.0 out of 5 stars Daughter loves it!, November 18, 2012
My 18 month old has been using it since she was 1 year old and still loves it. She dances to the music, presses the button and learns the letter and the word. The screen is black and gray but that's ok. My daughter still loves it. My husband personalized it for her you can even personalize emails! It will read her a personalized "email" from her nana, mama or daddy. Defiantly worth buying it.

LeapFrog My Own Leaptop, Pink