Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Nothing But Thieves All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Amethyst Jewelry Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Shop Now Sale

Color: PinkProduct Packaging: Standard PackagingChange

on August 30, 2010
I've given this toy 4 stars, rather than 3, because ultimately it is fun and educational. However, I believe that the promotional sales jargon is deceptive and misleading. It tells you that you can 'choose from 20+ songs'(suggesting that you can have upto 20 songs on the computer, at least), what it doesnt clearly point out is that you can only have 6 songs downloaded from the pre-set playlist and no more songs can be added. Not only do you not get up to 20 songs, the songs that you do end up with are computerized and some are tinny and dont last very long. I also understood that my daughters name would be added into the songs and this is not the case. However, in addition to the 6 songs (5 instrumental and 1 with words that you can sing along to) that you can choose from, there is one additional song that is included that spells your child's name. All in all, this is a good product, I just wish there were more songs and maybe even a colour screen.
0Comment37 of 43 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 8, 2010
I purchased this laptop for my 14 month old grandson because he is fascianted by my PC and runs to touch it at every opportunity. The LeapFrog is extremely durable as he drops it a couple of times a day and bangs on the keyboard with both hands, but it continues to work. It is really simple to use and my grandson can turn it own without adult help. He is to young to appreciate the educational value of the toy, but he likes hearing his name (his parents personalized it) when he turns it on and when he presses the first letter of his name. I would definitely buy this toy again.
0Comment56 of 67 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 27, 2013
I would not recommend this toy. We bought this for our daughter last year, and she loved it. We personalized it with her name and email, etc. So we bought it for our son this year. Apparently they changed it and the only "personalization" you can do is to type in the name; although the name never gets mentioned anywhere. You can no longer connect it to the computer or do anything else to it. Very disappointed!
22 comments16 of 17 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 4, 2011
Purchased this product for my 21 month old. She likes it, and it has useful games and exeecises (letter, animal, and number recognition.) But after less than a month of normal wear/tear (by toddler standards) the sound no longer works! I see from other customer reviews that this is a common complaint. Called Leapfrog to complain and request replacement. Customer service has promised to send a replacement. Will file an update once it arrives.
33 comments15 of 16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
The manufacturer commented on the review below
on February 21, 2011
I'm so mad at Leapfrog this morning. We've been enjoying the My Own Leaptop toy and it was especially fun after we personalized it to know our youngest daughter's name. Today I decided to connect it to the computer again to change up the "emails" that it reads to her. The toy refuses to sync and wiped out all of the personalization. There's a "reset" feature, that also refuses to work. Although there's a specific error number along with this message, there's no help topic for this error message in their online support. I called customer service twice, and both times after extensive holding it transferred me to dead air. In an attempt to get some parent-to-parent support, I tried to join their online forums but their site bombs out without a message just trying to accept the terms of service. How can I be let down so many times by the same company! Now when we start the toy, it says "I found an error! Please connect the Leaptop again!" Until they get serious about fixing bugs in their products and on their website, or decide to at least answer the phone, I can't recommend this product to anyone.
99 comments82 of 102 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
The manufacturer commented on this review (What's this?)
Hello Don!

We would be happy to help! Feel welcome to also send an email our way at support@leapfrog.com Our Customer Support team would be best able to help troubleshoot this with you. It may be as easy as uninstalling and reinstalling LeapFrog Connect, however each situation can be unique and we would be happy to help your specific needs.

Also feel welcome to reach out to us by phone, 1-800-701-5327 M-Th: 9:00 am - 5:00 pm EST and Fri.: 9:00 am - 3:00 pm EST

The newer version of the My Own Leaptop now being sold does not have connectivity functionality, so these issues will not be seen in newer versions.

Thanks!
on November 15, 2010
I purchased this to bring along on a 5 day vacation with my 17 month old. It was a fantastic choice - he loved it! It was a great distraction (on the lower volume setting) at restaurants, and a good way to keep him entertained at moments in the hotel room when my husband and I got ourselves ready for our busy days out and about. It came in handy during the 5+ hour drive, as well. It seems pretty sturdy, having so far been tossed onto multiple floors, banged against a table, and even dropped onto the concrete of a rest stop parking lot. Sure, at 17 months, he's too young to really get much out of the alphabet setting, but the music and animal sounds are a big hit. He mimics the animal noises and dances around when he triggers a song. I look forward to him enjoying this toy for many months to come.
0Comment34 of 41 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 13, 2014
Not as good as the old version. My sons 1st laptop was used so much he wore it out! I figured the new version would be ever better. Well newer is better does NOT Apply here...
They comoletely removed the name option! His old laptop was able to program his personal name which would then be used to spell, sing and send emails using. Now it's just a generic boring same as every other toy without a name.
No good leap frog. You could do better. We wound up going on eBay and ordering the old version from there. It's the only place we could find it.
on February 5, 2015
This is the 2013 version, so no personalised emails or any of the features that required connecting to a PC. Tucked away in the FAQ on the Leapfrog page:

Q: 'My Own Leaptop has no USB port or cable'

A: "The new (2013) version of My Own Leaptop has simplified steps for personalization and does not need to be connected to a computer.
To personalize this version of My Own Leaptop:
First, turn My Own Leaptop off. Next, hold down the "P" and "M" buttons while selecting one of the two volumes. Then follow the instructions given by My Own Leaptop.
Once the personalization is complete, the My Own Leaptop will recognize and spell the child's first name when the first letter of the child's name is pressed on the keyboard."

So that's it. That's the only personalisation you get. You'd think they might have updated their descriptions and marketing materials since then...

It doesn't even pronounce your child's name or include it in emails. Nothing. Just displays his/her name and spells it out when the first letter of the name is pressed (in the letters mode only).

Oh, and just in case you thought I might not know what I'm talking about (a fair assumption as you don't know me, and this seems like a rather surprising review), I am a software engineer and am usually the one people call to fix this kind of thing.

I hope this review finds its way to you among all the 5 star reviews for the out-of-stock model which really must have been a great toy!
on September 4, 2011
I asked someone to get my toddler this for her 2nd birthday. I thought she might grow into it because I figured it was a little beyond her at the time, and she is just fascinated by my laptop. I specifically wanted one that had a lid that opened and closed like mine. She occasionally plays the songs on it with the music note, but that's it. I have only used the sync capability twice because, if she's not playing with it, there's no use to change the songs or check her progress. She's now almost three. The customer service is poor, I agree. I, like many others I've read about online, have the version that says a jellyfish has "kentacles" instead of "tentacles". I didn't really expect them to do anything about it, but I also didn't expect them to say I was wrong and mishearing it. I'm not deaf, and I'm sure neither are the dozens of people who also have this flawed version. My main problem with it is the contrast. Even from the box it has always seemed so dark, and there's no way to adjust it - so frustrating! I would have paid more if it was backlit. As it is, she's always drawn to the other laptops in the store (for example the Barbie one) that has a lit and colored display. I just thought I'd put this review in here as someone who's had it a while and can offer a long-term view of it. There's also a quick video clip to show what I'm talking about.
22 comments19 of 22 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 12, 2010
We bought this for our son two months ago at 18 months old. We decided to invest in the LeapFrog Scout toys so he recognizes the theme. Nevertheless our son is an avid button-pusher and music lover and this toy is perfect at capturing those interests at this stage of development. He carries it everywhere and it's great for on-the-go fun.