Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Holiday Music in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Deals on DOTD

Color: PinkProduct Packaging: Frustration-Free PackagingChange
Price:$17.24 - $66.42

on May 20, 2010
I just received this in the mail today for my toddler and wanted to include some information for those of you debating a purchase. Here is the information from the booklet about the 3 functions and 3 modes of play:

1. Emails--lets you hear from scout and violet, plus 3 personalized emails chosen by you.
2. Music play list--includes instrumental and lyrical that you chose and download to the leaptop. The sing-along is 1 of 5 songs and and the instrumental lets you select 5 from a list of about 15. The character dances along on the screen.
3. Blog--hear the latest blog entries, personalized with your child's name at the end of each.
4. Alphabet mode--introduces letters and phonics. Hear the letter name and sound, plus an animal that starts with the letter.
5. Music Maker Mode--turns the keyboard into a music station. The paw print makes background beat while the 3 rows are: silly sound effects, percussion sounds, and piano key sounds.
6. Animal Mode--Learn about animals for each letter of the alphabet. Press a letter and hear a clue, the paw print reveals the animal it is.
You can also connect to the leapfrog learning path, something I have not yet explored.

My only complaint so far is the length of time it took to download the program from leapfrog, which was about 15 min. The actual set-up only took about 5 min and was very easy to follow. The laptop itself is a beautiful purple, and the outside is a darker purple than the inside, the same color as the keys. There is an off switch with a low and high volume. It also has a standby mode when it has a period of inactivity, to save battery life. It takes 3 AA batteries. The hinged screen is secure, where it won't shut on its own, but not so secure that it can't be closed easily. It is very lightweight and has a handle at the top, perfect for a toddler to carry around. The leaptop is about 9 inches from side to side, small but not too tiny. The mouse, which slides up and down, is used to select the modes. Unlike the laptop other retailers carry in which the mouse can move all directions, the simplicity of this one is perfect for small children. The bottom of the laptop has 4 feet, 2 of which have rubber stoppers so that it won't slide all over a table. The USB port is covered by a sliding, spring loaded cover so it will stay closed and hopefully prevent curious toddlers from playing with it. This leaptop also teaches your child how to spell their name, and is far more interactive than the others I've seen. I would definitely buy this leaptop again, it's everything I was looking for--cute, educational, and fun! I can't wait for my toddler to get her hands on this!!
UPDATE: She played with this for at least 3 hours last night, was the first thing she went for this morning (even picked it over cartoons), and she has probably given it another 3-4 hours this morning. She loves the alphabet mode and I have been impressed by the length of time this has held her attention. She is pretty advanced for her 20 months, but I have been amazed at her progress with the alphabet. What a great investment!
VINE VOICEon August 26, 2010
I have three boys, ages 3,5, and 6. They are all in various stages of learning to read...they all enjoy this, but my three year old cannot get enough of it. He jealously guards it, keeping it away from the other two kids, and he arried it around with him...he has learned his alphabet, and now he is learning the sounds the alphabet makes. I thought this would be an OK toy at best, but it has been a huge success story in my much so, that I had to order two more so that hte other boys would have a chance to play with it as well! Even my 6 year old really likes it. Another good product from leap frog. I'm not sure how long this will last though, and I'm worried that my very rough boys will break it. We have had it about 3 weeks or so and it has survived, but I worry about the screen. Anyway, great toy, inexpensive enough that I will probably even buy another one if it does break! THat is how much my boys like it.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 4, 2012
We gave this to my son under the recommended age. He has had it for about a year now. We were hoping it would distract him from trying to type on our laptop. It hasn't done that much, but he still enjoys it. He prefers the music setting at this point and will joyfully dance around. I like that I can change the music periodically. As an educator I like the way it pairs phonics with the letters and a word that starts with the letter. I think in the future we will enjoy the questions that it asks. This is very durable, it has been tossed around the car and my son has stood on it with the screen open and it has yet to be damaged. My father also bought one for his house for all the grandkids. The children who have played with it there range from 1 year to 5 years and all enjoy it. It has yet to be damaged despite frequent use by 6 children who visit there.
on February 25, 2011
This toy was a gift and I have to confess I probably wouldn't have purchased this for my daughter because, in my admittedly limited experience, most of toys of this type are not worth the time or the money. This one is different.
Set-up, as a previous reviewer mentioned, was slightly aggravating as installation needed a little tweaking, but I found directions on the website that identified and fixed the problem without too much of a hassle. All-in-all, I spent about 10-15 minutes getting it ready for play, even with the little hiccup (I have some experience with the LeapFrog website as I have Violet the dog too - another great toy my daughter loves.
I was pleasantly surprised, however, by the immediate response from my daughter (she had just turned two a few weeks prior) who picked it up and started to play and explore the functions. She was engrossed to the point that she didn't want to open her other presents!
Now, I realize the attention-span of a toddler is a fleeting thing and I fully expected this to be one of those toys that would have a very short shelf-life, but here we are, 3-4 months later and she STILL plays with it on a daily basis. Durability has not been an issue as she has certainly put it through the wringer. She's dropped it, stepped on it, stood on it (I've stepped on it myself) and played with it roughly as toddlers do and it hasn't skipped a beat.
The best of all of this is the educational value. Now, granted, my daughter is a genius (as I'm sure your kid is too!), but after a few weeks of playing, she'd mastered all the letters of the alphabet and was able to generalize and identify (and verbalize) the letters on other items (shirts, signs, etc). As a parent, I was very excited to see such growth so quickly. That alone makes it worth it.
Having read some of the other reviews, I noticed people were criticizing the lack of a color display or the poor volume control, but let's be honest - the toy is a little over 20 bucks. What could you possibly expect? What you get, in my opinion, is worth every penny.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 24, 2014
BEWARE! The current version DOES NOT have connectivity!!! I purchased this for my son in 2012 for the same price and he continues to enjoy it. It speaks his name - as well as the names of family members when he checks his "email". This version does NONE of that. You can type the name in - but it does not speak it. WHAT A SHAME. The previous version was so much better. Note that all the rave reviews are OLD!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 10, 2010
We got the leaptop for my 20 month old after finding that most of the other toy laptops were for older toddlers and had a possible choking hazard. This is just right for my son. He had no trouble figuring it out and really loves the music. My only wish is that there was a selection for numbers, but otherwise this is a great toy for young toddlers who like music and letters.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 16, 2011
**We actually have the green one, but I think it's applicable to this one as well.** I asked someone to get my toddler this for her 2nd birthday. I thought she might grow into it because I figured it was a little beyond her at the time, and she is just fascinated by my laptop. I specifically wanted one that had a lid that opened and closed like mine. She occasionally plays the songs on it with the music note, but that's it. I have only used the sync capability twice because, if she's not playing with it, there's no use to change the songs or check her progress. She's now almost three. The customer service is poor, I agree. I, like many others I've read about online, have the version that says a jellyfish has "kentacles" instead of "tentacles". I didn't really expect them to do anything about it but I didn't expect them to say I was wrong and mishearing it. I'm not deaf, and I'm sure neither are the dozens of people who also have this flawed version. My main problem with it is the contrast. Even from the box it has always seemed so dark, and there's no way to adjust it - so frustrating!. I would have paid more to have it backlit. As it is, she's always drawn to the other laptops in the store (for example the Barbie one) that has a lit and colored display. I just thought I'd put this review in here as someone who's had it a while and can offer a long-term view of it.
on June 24, 2010
This was the best present we got for our 3 year old granddaughter. Inexpensive, simple and self explanatory it has really helped her learn letters and shapes. Well worth it for little ones.
on August 6, 2010
I got this "leaptop" for my 2 year old and she loved it so much from the start that she didn't want to let me take it to get it out of the box! The personalization is pretty darn cool and the little animations are cute. My daughter can easily work this toy (no mouse like the vtech laptop) and I think it makes a perfect distraction from mommy and daddy's laptops. Should be a great car toy too. Overall, I am very pleased!
on August 30, 2010
I've given this toy 4 stars, rather than 3, because ultimately it is fun and educational. However, I believe that the promotional sales jargon is deceptive and misleading. It tells you that you can 'choose from 20+ songs'(suggesting that you can have upto 20 songs on the computer, at least), what it doesnt clearly point out is that you can only have 6 songs downloaded from the pre-set playlist and no more songs can be added. Not only do you not get up to 20 songs, the songs that you do end up with are computerized and some are tinny and dont last very long. I also understood that my daughters name would be added into the songs and this is not the case. However, in addition to the 6 songs (5 instrumental and 1 with words that you can sing along to) that you can choose from, there is one additional song that is included that spells your child's name. All in all, this is a good product, I just wish there were more songs and maybe even a colour screen.