Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: LeapFrog My Own Story Time Pad
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on September 26, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Overall, this is a great toy, but it's not perfect. Here's the run-down of the pros and cons:

Pros:
--Set-up is easy, though it does require connection to a computer with a USB cable for optimal use.
--The ABC feature is very well done. When you press a letter, the toy tells you the name of the letter, the sound of the letter, and something that starts with that letter.
--The toy is durable and does not break, even when dropped on a hard surface.
--The auto shut-off feature saves on battery power (the toy requires 3 AA batteries).
--The toy is the perfect size for little hands--not too big and not too small.
--You can program the toy to use your child's name in stories. This is a fun feature.

Cons:
--The screen is very small (2.5 x 1.5 inches) and very low-resolution. As a result, the pictures on the screen are primitive looking and not very interesting for young children. The rest of the toy is so colorful and eye-catching, that the screen looks like an afterthought.
--The toy is only programmable with one name, so it doesn't work well for two children.
--The e-mail feature doesn't make a whole lot of sense. The "e-mails" are pre-written, so they aren't personal.
--The writing feature doesn't permit anything to be saved. So, if you spend time writing a story, it will be lost.
--The stories are a bit too short, and you can only select 5 stories to be stored on the device at one time. I would rather lose some of the other features (e-mail, etc.) to gain more (and longer) stories.

Overall, this is a fun toy, and I would recommend it for the 2-3 age range.
VINE VOICEon October 17, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
After setting it up on my computer (which required a download from the LeapFrog site, no software is included in the box... which I don't mind at all), my 4 year old daughter took to it at once. She lights up when it says "Hello Sophia" and she listens to same set of stories over and over again as well as explores the letter sounds, music clips and the character buttons. So I'm sure she would give it 5 stars. The main to reasons I'm giving it 4 is that I would have liked to have seen more classic stories be included and I wish I could store at least a second child's name (maybe access a menu to select with a long press?). As it is, her 2 year old brother will probably have to wait until she outgrows it before I get around to changing it to great him by name. I'm neutral on the screen size/tech, sure it's primitive by today's iPod/Kindle standards, but at under thirty dollars it's quaint, practical and better than anything I had as a kid.

PROS:
+ Personalized to say your child's name and mix in their preferences into the stories.
+ Alphabet sounds built in.
+ Popular kids songs built in.

CONS:
- One child at a time, and as easy as it is to switch names on the PC... it's still time consuming.
- Stories a short and thrown together and there are only 10 or so, so it could get old.
- The Notes feature is pointless as it does nothing.
VINE VOICEon October 20, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I will not get into the details of how to set this up because other reviewers did that already.
Also, I am not sure how many people will go to the trouble of actually customize this. I did not hook it up to the computer.

We own several other Leapfrog toys and they are very safe to use and very durable. This toy makes no exception from that. The keys are completely covered and the ocasional water or juice spill will not damage anything. The colors and the overall design are nice and attractive to a child.

That is pretty much it. As other reviewers were mentioning, in the age of 1080p and iPads, the screen of this toy and other similar toys leaves a lot to be desired. It is like the video games from the 80's, but I am sure that this is how manufacturers keep their price down.

Mainly because the screen apearance, my 3 year old boy used it when he got it for 15 minutes and ocasionally finds it and uses it for approx. 5 minutes. If they upgrade the graphics on this with a color screen it may stand a chance for the kids to actually pay with it for a longer time. If you want more use out of it, take it when you leave the house and the kid does not have a million other toys around.

Overall, for under $30 is a good durable toy. I would recommend it for the price.
on April 6, 2013
My two and a half year old daughter recieved this as a Christmas Gift in 2012, and she absolutely loves it. She has learned her entire ABC's as well as learned how to spell and recognize her name. Also loves to sing a long with the lullabies/songs, and has learned to memorize them. Extremely durable; food easily cleans off and has never damaged the product. Batteries last a while, even with a lot of use. This is her favorite toy to bring a long on car rides, and has even survived temper tantrum throws and extremely cold nights in a car. Overall, extremely pleased. Only complaint I have is that when you program your childs name in it, whener it is repeated it sounds like a question.
VINE VOICEon September 22, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This Leap Frog Pad is going to be a Christmas present for my grandson. My 14 yo daughter and I "tested" it. Ok, we played with it! lol I knew this would be an exceptional product just due to the fact that it's a Leap Frog product! When my daughter was younger she had several Leap Frog educational toys and loved them as well as learned from them. This Pad can teach the alphabet, sing songs, tell stories, etc. The best feature, in my opinion, is that you can personalize it with your child's name. It comes with a USB cord that you use to hook up to your computer. From there you go to the Leap Frog site where you can download stories, some you can personalize with your child's name, personalize pretend emails from family and friends, download customizable songs. You can also print coloring and activity pages featuring the Leap Frog friends on the pad. I think any young child would be thrilled to get this great educational toy! Before I give it to my grandson, I'm going to put an "email" on it from his Mimi. If you are looking for good, durable, fun educational toys for your kids/grandkids, you can't go wrong with Leap Frog!
on February 5, 2012
I got this for my two in a half year old son for Christmas, and he absolutely loves it. It has so many different functions to it and definitely keeps him entertained. The only bad thing (which is why I gave the toy an overall 4) is that the graphics isn't bright enough (in my opinion) and the screen is a tad bit too small. That's an adult review though. My son loves it though and doesn't even care about the screen or the graphics so I think that's all that counts. I would definitely recommend this toy. Plus the fact that it is very durable. He will sling it all over the apartment (against walls, floors, and everything) and its still in amazing shape. Definitely would rebuy it if the toy ever went completely dead.
on October 30, 2013
My granddaughter played with this toy at a friends house during a play date and loved it. It helps teach the alphabet, sounds, tells stories, and plays music. The bonus is you can log onto LeapFrog's website and customize it to say your child's name and send them "email." Battery life is great and the pad is lightweight, so throwing it in a diaper bag or child's backpack is easy. I seems durable since my granddaughter has dropped it several times without any effect. This keeps my 2.5 year old entertained in doctors offices and restaurants without being annoying. Great product!
VINE VOICEon January 14, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Until we started calling this our 2-year-old boy's Kindle, he wanted nothing to do with it. A simple name change, and he was interested in it, for a very short while. Still, we couldn't get him engaged in it beyond a minute or two. We are quite certain he is not all that enthused with the poor black-only, bitmap-looking, LCD graphics on the screen. Seriously, the graphics on the tiny screen are lousy, and our boy is used to playing with our iPhones. By comparison, this is just a toy. OK, well it is a toy, I guess, but kids these days expect more. I asked my wife why they made the screen so small, and she agreed it seems too small to really get kids interested.
VINE VOICEon October 22, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I ordered the LeapFrog My Own Story Time Pad for my two year old son. He enjoys playing with the Story Time Pad but it's hard for him to navigate between the different features. I think the pad will get more use as he gets older.

There is a USB connection on the pad that allows you to connect the pad to your computer and customize the stories and emails for your child. The customization process is very easy for anyone who has ever used a computer.

The only draw back to the pad is the lack of a color screen. If LeapFrog upgraded the screen I think it would hold a toddlers attention longer.

Overall, for the sub $30 price the LeapFrog My Own Story Time Pad is an extremely durable and fun toy.
VINE VOICEon November 23, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I have a 3 year old and a 4 and a half year old that play with this toy. The 3 year old doesn't do a very good job at navigating around in it yet and mainly just pushes the letter buttons to hear the letters over and over again. The older boy does some of the more advances things such as the stories from time to time but seems to grow somewhat bored with it rather quickly. With so many cartoons and graphic intense children's video games on the computer and other gaming systems it's asking a lot for a kid to sit and play with a small black and white screen for very long I think, but it's still nice to have choices sometimes in case they get tired of other things.