5.0 out of 5 stars Great Video, worth every penny!
Published on January 2, 2012 by Mom of three boys

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay
Published on February 9, 2012 by Jennifer Bardsley

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Video, worth every penny!, January 2, 2012
This review is from: LeapFrog: Phonics Farm (DVD)
I will only show educational video's to my kids and I love almost all of the Leap Frog video's and this is one of the best ones yet. I used to be the typical parent and play Shrek, Tangled and all those video's in the car cuz the kids love them and keeps them quite for long rides. In preschool, my 3 year old and was having alot of difficulty learning and memorizing the alphabet, colors and numbers. He was one of the lucky ones who got into the town preschool via the lottery. I was told that she would suggest holding him back from kindergarten until he was 6. I got rid of all those worthless DVD's and invested a ton on money on these DVD as well as Rock to Learn and many others. I would only show these video's in the car, every day, and my now 4 year old knows more than most kids his age and going to kindergarten at age 5. He knows upper case, lower case, numbers, all shapes, sizes, and have been working on phonics cuz he is ready. My favorite DVD's for those on a budget are anything by Leap Frog & Rock to Learn are Letter Sounds, Colors Shapes & Counting (age group says 4 but all appropriate for every age). For those with younger kids, I showed these video's to my now just turned 3 year old, and he knows everything backwards and forwards from just watching them in the car. I started my collection of DVD's in April of last year when he was just over 2, and he knew everything by summer. He is also doing sight words and this is all from just watching these awsome video's in the car. His preschool teacher would be shocked and so excited to tell me when I picked him up, that he knows his colors, oh, he knows all his letters, and I sent him to preschool when he was 2 & half cuz his birthday. I cannot emphasize how valuable these DVD's are in your childs learning. I have a 1 year old and he now is watching them too, and he is starting to say colors, some alphabet. Love them. Other good ones that are worth every penny are all the Preschool prep DVD's, I just purchased the phonics series, all very good. Munchkin Math ones are good, but expensive and short. Fundamentals DVD (2) are good, but fast paced. My kids did not care for the Baby Genius series, Brainy baby, Galloping Minds (all for younger 1-2 years old) Cedarmount Kids but all get excellent reviews. I just purchased Baby Bumblebee, and they don't care for those, but the opposites one is good. The Hooked on Phonics learn to read by HOB, not good. Also great show on PBS is Word World. My kids love it and we DVR it, and now that we are learning phonics, I have learned how valuable this show is. I hope this review is helpful to you. I cannot tell you how these DVDs have changed my kids lives, and how I look at other kids and watch how much they know, and how much better my kids are and its all cuz of these DVD's. Its worth your hard earned money.

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay, February 9, 2012
This review is from: LeapFrog: Phonics Farm (DVD)
I have a confession to make. When my six year old son is at school, my two and a half year old daughter and I sometimes fire up his Kindle Fire without his knowledge. One of the videos I have downloaded on the Kindle for my daughter to watch is "Leap Frog Phonics Farm". I think it is mind-numbingly boring, but my daughter likes it a lot. It covers the same topics as "Leap Frog's Letter Factory," but in a less entertaining way. The upper and lower case letters are introduced along with their corresponding sounds, and there is also a song about vowels. It is probably good for my daughter to learn the same information in a different format. But if you were only going to choose one video, "Letter Factory" would be a better pick.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good, better than I expected, September 15, 2012
This review is from: LeapFrog: Phonics Farm (DVD)
We are a Leap Frog family. We don't watch much TV- just the occasional DVD and when my kids were 2 and 3, just educational videos. We LOVE the Leap Frog "Letter Factory" DVD series (different than this series) and I encourage you all to check it out. Letter Factory is the PERFECT starting phonics video for kids at age 2 1/2-4 who do not know their letters yet. My 8 year old still thinks it's fun to watch with his brother. Letter Factory introduces all 26 letters in Capitals only (important- not too much information to confuse at first) and only the single, short sound. Little kids don't immediately need to recognize lower case or that the letter "E" may sound like "eh", "ee", or silent e. It's just too much. They just need to know it says "eh" which is the short and most common "E" sound in Phonics. They will build on it later. The Letter Factory DVD keeps it simple and engaging- your child, along with Tad, will visit a room in the factory where each letter is being trained to make its sound, like the letter K's are dressed in Karate Uniform and kicking their lower legs making the sound "K! K!" And the song is very catchy throughout. Both of my boys- one a visual learner and one auditory, both completely mastered all 26 letters and short sounds and recognition of each letter within two weeks, and about 7 viewings. They were both under 3. The video is that good. They are smart, but it was the video that gave them the edge, better than me by myself. I watched with them, and stopped every four letters to discuss. My auditory child needed the added tool of holding and selecting letter magnets (added a physical element)during the video, otherwise, he just memorized the sounds and couldn't recognize.
Okay, so back to my review of THIS video....
I liked it! We watched it for free on Netflix. I thought it was a great 2nd step in Phonics learning AFTER the "Letter Factory," even though they are from a different Leap Frog series. Most of the other Leap Frog videos outside of the Letter Factory and Math Circus series (with the Frog character "Tad") were kind of lame. So Phonics Farm was cute and it worked well. My 3 year old has just been learning that those letter sounds he's so good at actually have to do with words! He didn't need to know that right away. We have been talking about how "A" says "ah (short)" for "apple." This video involved a group of animals greeting a train bringing new animals to their farm Each car had a different letter on the side. In the "B" car, out came a Bear, and it said "I am a B-B-Bouncing Bear"- nothing further to add, but used the short letter sound only and gave an adjective and an animal to relate to it. The upper case and lower case letters were on the car, but we ignored the lower case and can work on that later. My son recognized the capitals so he was right with them. I thought the songs were not great, but I nothing compares to the work done on "Letter Factory," so I'm biased. I thought some of the animals were creative. We didn't just have a Cat for "C" we had a "Colorful Camel." And have you ever come up with an animal for "U" or "X"? The "U" animal was an "Umbrella Bird" and it was just fine. For "X" I figured they'd make the common mistake and come up with some exotic animal that started with "X" but sounded like "Z" (think Xylophone!) But they instead chose an Ox and said that the "X" was at the end of his name. It was a great idea, AND they kept the Phonics sounds correct as "cs." Overall, a good video. Not my favorite, but we will definitely watch again becuase it builds on the sounds my child already knows and applies them to words he is not yet ready to build, and the characters are cute.
--The second video in the "Letter Factory" series is also wonderful, but is building words in the "Talking Words Factory" and the kids will be building "CAT" from "C" and "AT", "MAT", "BAT", etc. This is kind of the glue in between those first two videos and our teaching at home and preschool for my child to see how it all fits together. My 3rd grader reads at a 5th grade level and he jumped off into reading with "Letter Factory" series, so I can attest to it's greatness. And I think this one is a good one too as a supportive video after initial phonics learning. Hope my incredibly long review helped someone!!

5.0 out of 5 stars It's a good one!, November 9, 2011
Lauren Bentrup (Pelham, Alabama United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: LeapFrog: Phonics Farm (DVD)
We regularly buy any Leapfrog DVDs that come out, and this one kept both of our kids' (son is 4, daughter is almost 2) attention better than most of the other ones that have come out recently! Glad to see the dogs (Scout & Violet) rather than frogs all the time. It's a fun & educational DVD, and the songs aren't annoying! :)

2.0 out of 5 stars Competent but focused on producing consumers instead of phonics., February 18, 2013
sonya (United States) - See all my reviews
I had the advantage of renting both this and Leapfrog: Letter Factory one after the other, and the differences are stark. Leapfrog: Phonics Farm has catchy songs, bright colorful characters, and a plot.... that are devoid of learning material. And some bits about phonics thrown in there for the parents. When me and my son finished watching this one, my son kept humming the theme song (about the leapfrog branded characters) and couldn't remember anything about actual letters.

On the other hand, after we watched Leapfrog: Letter Factory, my son couldn't stop quoting, "Is this the 'E' room"? to me. (Appropriate response: Ehhh??".

In short, if you're looking for a Leapfrog DVD about phonics, get the Letter Factory and leave this one alone. Where the Letter Factory is about teaching letters, this DVD is about getting kids hooked on Leapfrog DVDs. (on the other hand, DO buy Letter Factory - it's freaking brilliant.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Bravo, Leapfrog!, January 31, 2012
This review is from: LeapFrog: Phonics Farm (DVD)
Okay, this video is a MUST HAVE for parents of toddlers! I am quite the fan of Leapfrog (we have just about every product they have) and believe it or not - this is by far my favorite just because of how much my son has learned over the course of a WEEK!

It blows my mind that my son has watched this 6, maybe 7 times and can read the letter off the screen before they say anything. For such a small investment, these videos are worth it - I will definitely be purchasing the rest of them!

5.0 out of 5 stars My daughter LOVES her" ABC's", January 13, 2013
This review is from: LeapFrog: Phonics Farm (DVD)
This movie is great. My 2 year old girl loves it!!
We first saw it on Netflix and she is obsessed over the Phonics Farm. (She calls it "ABC's")
She can say the Vowels and numbers easy because of this.
Penny's voice is kinda annoying, I wish they didn't automatically use high pitched voices for kids. But that doesn't affect my review. She loves it, it's educational, and has great songs!!
She even says stuff like "B makes the Buh sound". It's great. Can't wait for more of Scout and Violet since she seems not as interested in the frog ones like Letter Factory. I guess those are for the next step. I recommend this to anyone with a toddler!

5.0 out of 5 stars "I'm with you SCOUT!", February 6, 2012
This review is from: LeapFrog: Phonics Farm (DVD)
I have tried a few educational videos but this one is one of my toddlers favorites! You learn the sound of the letter by hearing the letter, the sound and then an animal doing something with that letter as well. There is a Colorful Camel and a Zipping Zibra! Fun and we love the letter review song at the end. This is a great tool for reinforcing letters and sounds! Take it from a former elemenarty teacher this is a wonderful way to learn!

5.0 out of 5 stars Education at it's best, July 29, 2013
Jose N Ramirez (Oro Valley, AZ, US) - See all my reviews
Leap frog, what a great product I have purchased several of these DVD's to give to all of my grandkids, I have even sat there and watched them along side of them, they do not lose focus they actually go along with the DVD's and get involved.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very cute., November 25, 2012
This review is from: LeapFrog: Phonics Farm (DVD)
My 2 yr old likes this a lot and will repeat the letters. It's very repetitive so they hear the letters over and over. The songs are catchy.

LeapFrog: Phonics Farm
LeapFrog: Phonics Farm by Ron Myrick (DVD - 2011)
$14.98 $5.00