Amazon.com: Customer Reviews:
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Jake Owen Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

• Customer Reviews

on August 31, 2009
I just got 2 of these for my 4 year old and letter-excited 2 and 1/2 year old. Since the boxes have been opened, they have both been enamored for over an hour. The letter instruction is accurate and straightforward. The eraser is easy to use and the stylus is at least more accurate than the one at Target where I bought these. My 2 year old loves to write letters, so I know it would be a hit for him. But my 4 year old fights writing and drawing, so it's super exciting to see him get all excited about it AND actually write decent looking letters and lines. Get it! You'll be glad you did! Perfect back to school, starting school toy/tool for your youngster!
0Comment| 339 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 7, 2009
This was an Amazon gift from the grandparents to my 4 year old. He LOVES this! It teaches your child the proper way to make their letters. (My 8 year old needs one LOL!)He loves tracing the dots and sliding the eraser. It cheers the kids on after they push the paw print. He will sneak to play with it when he is suppose to be sleeping. It is currently at show and tell at his pre-k, he loves it that much. One week of use and he is going all over the house writing the first letter of his name. He has shown off his letter writing skills at the Drs. office. He now writes his letters better than his big brother in 3rd grade!
0Comment| 163 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 3, 2009
My 3 year old is starting to write and draw and this is really helping with her learning to write her ABC's and shapes. She really loves the dog Scout and the cute audio. The size of it is right on the money and is easy to take along in the car. Every letter brings out some cute responses too.

Good Stuff...
0Comment| 164 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 10, 2012
I have twin 3 year olds, boy and girl. I got this for my daughter because she is very interested in learning letters, drawing, and tracing. She has used this every day for the last month, and now is getting very good at tracing. She can draw the "A" all by herself now (that's what her name starts with).

Her twin brother, won't even try it because he gets too frustrated that he can't do it. He's still a scribbler with crayons, not drawing lines and circles independently yet.

So just know your target kid. For the price, this is an excellent educational tool your child can use independent of help from you.

Con: The eraser is a little stick that moves back and forth under the pad, and already gets stuck frequently on one side. We just have to wiggle it for her until it comes loose, and she tries not to get it stuck there the next time.

But otherwise it seems very durable. We have a 16 month old who has dropped it a couple times, and the kids swing it by the pen on a string, and it's still holding together well after a month of daily torture.
review image
on November 9, 2009
My just-turned-3 daughter loves this toy - we bought it in advance of a long car trip and it was helpful in keeping her attention. She calls it her "Leapster" and loves the fact that she has something electronic and portable like her older sisters have. She's a smart cookie, but due to her age, she's not really able to really follow tracing letters. I can see this being increasingly fun and interesting to her later this year. There are lots of different play features so fortunately not all of it is beyond her. She's able to turn it on and off by herself which is great for battery life, and is able to put the stylus back in it's place too. It's lightweight but not flimsy and a perfect size for preschoolers to carry around. The volume level is not obnoxious if it's on the lower setting - it doesn't drive the adults crazy. Recommended.

Update: March 2011: My now 4.5 year old still plays with this! She loves it! At this age, she is able to use her big sisters' Leapsters but she continues to come back to the Scribble and Write to trace letters and play the other games. It will probably travel on Spring Break with us again this year too. It's going on year 2 of play value (pretty impressive for a toy), so I continue to recommend it. Thanks, LeapFrog!
on November 21, 2009
Let me start by saying my 4 year old, hates to write. He will do anything in his power not to do the letters both at school and at home. I have workbooks and he will do everything but the letter tracing. He thinks he is not as good as the kids in his pre-school class and doesn't want to be embarrassed.
I will say the prices now listed are a bit high, they were going for under twenty when I bought mine.
I had purchase this for Christmas, when I showed my husband he asked I give it to my son right away. I am so happy we did. The first two days, my son that has a very short attention span, played with this for 4 hours at a time. It was unbelievable to me. It also has a reward where after you draw the letter it has you draw things like turtles, butterflies and a house. My son really loved that.
The next week at school, my son's pre-school teacher was surprised and thrilled he finished his letter tracing. I know I have the LeapFrog Scribble and Write to thank for that.
I really love leap frog products, this one will help your child prepare for school and life.
on December 30, 2009
Based on the positive reviews, I bought this for my 4 1/2 year old son. I wish I'd listened to the 3 star reviews. This is more like a magnadoodle with a suggestion on what to draw. It doesn't give any feedback as to whether the child follows the drawing or letter correctly. What's more is that if you don't press hard enough, your drawing won't be made. I wish I'd passed on this purchase.
55 comments| 161 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 10, 2010
Great educational toy. One thing I would like to see get improved is the part you write on. It is a cheap plastic and when you write on it you can barely see what you wrote. I can see this part breaking or getting ruined somehow so easily. Those scribble pads that use a magnet are way better in this one aspect. Also the slide bar that you use to "erase" is completely open at the bottom so once you get any type of dirt, grime, food in there it will interfere with the writing.
on July 29, 2011
I'm not sure if they've changed the design of this toy in recent months, but I was expecting it to help my son learn to write letters. It doesn't do that at all! He could scribble all over it when it asks him to write an "X" and it will still tell him, "good job!!". I was under the impression that you had to follow the pattern of the letter in order to get positive feedback... which doesn't exactly help my son learn anything. As another reviewer said, it's just a talking etch-a-sketch.

If your goal is to teach your kid to write letters, I think you're MUCH better off getting a book of letters to trace. This toy was a huge disappointment.
33 comments| 62 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 14, 2009
Received this as a gift for my 3 year old daughter's birthday. She likes it, but my 5 year old son loves it! My 3 year old scribbles, presses the buttons, and will sometimes follow the directions. It will be a great toy for her as she gets a little older. I was surprised how much my 5 year old likes it....took to it immediately, is practicing his letters, sounds, etc. I would definately recommend for an older 3 year old to maybe a 5 or 6 year old.