Published on December 28, 2007 by Amy L

3.0 out of 5 stars simple but fun!
I bought this game for my 3 year old and he absolutely loved it! It may be simple without many levels or other exciting features/graphics, but we are not into xbox or playstation, etc. I bought this knowing it would be just a fun, easy way of introducing basic concepts to pre-schoolers and that's exactly what it does.
Published on November 11, 2007 by mary jane

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good - not the most educational, but fun for toddlers and good for computer skills, December 28, 2007
Amy L (Blacksburg, VA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Leapfrog Clickstart Educational Software: Thomas and Friends - Learning Destinations (Toy)
We bought the ClickStart computer along with this Thomas game as a Christmas gift for my 2 1/2 year old son. He had started showing an interest in our computer and had already learned how to find letters on the keyboard and use the mouse, so we thought he would enjoy having his "own" little computer and that it would also help keep him from going on ours all the time. Thomas the Tank Engine (and all of Thomas' friends) are his favorite toys, so he absolutely loves this software, and it keeps him focused and engaged for a long time. It only comes with 3 games, all of which are fairly simple; this was somewhat disappointing, since for $20 I would have thought there would be more games included. Each game does have 2 skill levels, so I suppose you could say there are 6 games included, even though it is really only 3. The graphics are OK but not spectacular, though of course our son does not care or know the difference so that really doesn't matter. He has fun with the games and they are appropriately matched to his skill level; after a short amount of time playing the games with him (prompting him what to do) he is now able to start up the computer, select a game and play it totally on his own (without our help). He also enjoys the "in between game" activities such as clicking on as many tickets as possible within a certain time frame, to earn extra points, and I think these are particularly good for helping him master control of the mouse. It does have some educational value with games centered around letters, spelling words, finding shapes and numbers, counting, etc. but I think the most valuable skills he is learning are using the mouse and keyboard. The audio voice is sometimes a little difficult to hear above the music, so I think that sometimes he clicks around and gets the right answer by trial and error rather than by listening to the audio instructions and following them. Overall, we are happy with the purchase, though it does not have quite as much educational value as I had originally hoped.

3.0 out of 5 stars simple but fun!, November 11, 2007
= Durability:5.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:4.0 out of 5 stars

3.0 out of 5 stars OK, but better choices out there, November 8, 2008
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:3.0 out of 5 stars
My son is a big Thomas fan so this is one of the first cartridges I bought for his new ClickStart.

The games do feature the Thomas characters in believable settings, and the activities are generally educational. Sir Top'em Hat is the narrator and is difficult to understand at times. Also the audio instructions are frequently difficult to hear over the music.

Lastly, maybe I'm expecting too much, but the player gets the same "well done" message even if they didn't do anything. My son quickly caught onto this.

If your kid is a Thomas buff this is a good game. If you are only getting a couple for your ClickStart I think there are better choices.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun Learning Adventure!, December 4, 2007
Simple games which contain numbers, letters, and shapes, and winning the 'tickets' through correct answers is the treat.

Great educational tool for children in this stage of learning, ( or for remembering ), all the while enjoying Thomas & Friends!

5.0 out of 5 stars A+!, January 3, 2008
Ashley Alexander (Raceland, Louisiana United States) - See all my reviews
The clickstart and this game was one of my son's favorite Christmas presents. My son & I both enjoying playing this game together. He has learned so much already! Thank you so much! I look forward to buying the rest of the games very soon!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good stepping stone for a 3 year old (prior to the Wii), February 8, 2009
Ram|bunc|tious (visiting slick deals dot net) - See all my reviews
Very pleased with this purchase! Yesterday was the first day our 3 year old had played with it and it was the first thing he asked to play with when he got up and after his nap. Looking to purchase some games for him right now (the out of the box ones are only good for ~10-20 minutes ... then again, not bad considering children's attention span).

The graphics were as good "as expected" on our 50" LCD. Graphics not as good as Wii and certainly could be better, but our son is more thrilled about the fact that this is "his" and he can control it.

4.0 out of 5 stars For very young Thomas fans, January 9, 2009
My little two year old Thomas fan gets a kick out of this game, despite not knowing what he is doing. He enjoys watching me try to teach him how to use the mouse and keyboard, he is not quite ready for a computer. The games on this cartridge will definately help him with that. The game, however, is intended for 3-6 year olds and therefore I think there is very little educational value. My son already recognizes most of the letters and sounds. The word game is not challenging at all as there is only one choice, the correct letter.

5.0 out of 5 stars ClickStart Games, March 4, 2009
I bought this game for my 4 year old daughter. She does a good job playing the educational games and she is learning how to use a computer keyboard and mouse without using our "real laptops". I would recommend this system and the games to any parent who wants to get their kids involved in computer skills and educational software. Oh ya, and the graphics are better than my Atari!

4.0 out of 5 stars Sons first keyboard., April 24, 2010
My four year old loves to play with his first keyboard. It has been great as far as getting him used to a mouse. Now that he can navigate this product pretty well, he can now handle playing some more educational games on the computer. It's great for their first experience with a keyboard/mouse. He has lots of fun, but I wish the games were more educational.

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid Product, July 22, 2013
Game seems to fit description, packaging was solid, shipping was accurate. My nephew seems to enjoy the game. I only give it 4 stars though because the minute someone puts Thomas the Train on something it jacks the price up substantially which drives me bonkers.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›