Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Elizabeth Cook Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

Format: Amazon Video|Change
Price:$2.99

on January 28, 2011
The reviews for the other math Leapfrog videos (Math Circus, Math Adventure to the Moon) were mixed so I decided to give this one a try the day it came out and I am glad I did. This DVD is ideal for toddlers and preschoolers who are learning to count and recognize numbers. My daughter (who recently turned 2) was having a hard time learning 13-20 and this DVD helped her a lot--in just a week she has gone from mixing up all of the "teens" to reliably counting to 20. It also introduces the concept of 0 and early math skills like relative size and estimating (small/medium/large) and that when you have two groups of 10 it all adds up to 20 when you count it out.

The DVD extras were great for this title too. It has all 4 songs available as stand alone sing-alongs which is great because your child hears the number, sees it counted out, sees the numeral in the background, and sees the numbers and words to the song spelled out at the bottom of the screen. It also includes an extra song sung by Scout the Puppy, two cute read-along sing-along vowel shorts (short a and short i) and a great song about rhyming from Alphabet Amusement Park.

I strongly disagree with the review that said this video was up to par with other leapfrog videos. My daughter likes it just as much as the Letter and Word Factory DVDs. I don't think it's the MOST upbeat Leapfrog title but it is fun and the songs are great. She loves the Fish Counting song and sings it all the time now. The story and songs are also interesting enough that I think even a more advanced preschooler who can already count to 20 would still enjoy watching it, especially with a younger sibling or friend.
VINE VOICEon January 22, 2011
If you are your kids don't like the new redesign and style for these videos that began with LeapFrog: Let's Go to School, then feel free to skip. If, however, you or your kids still enjoy these videos then, "Numbers Ahoy" is another excellent release with a lot to love.

"Numbers Ahoy" was released along with LeapFrog: The Amazing Alphabet Amusement Park. As far as bonus content goes, everything included on this DVD is pretty much the same as "Amusement Park" and I already reviewed it for that one, so I'll just note that this DVD also includes its own set of useful commentaries by one of LeapFrog's educational consultants and also heavily features the new character, Scout the puppy.

In this DVD, Tad & Lily want to play a board game called Numbers Ahoy, but find it problematic because it requires a lot of counting. Their big brother Leap teaches them the basics of the game, but they're still in trouble because they only know a bit of basic counting. So Edison uses his green learning stone to take them under the sea, where there are fun opportunities for counting fish and more.

Unfortunately, there are also pirates floating about the sea, one of them being Pirate Pythagoras, who is scooping up any animal from the sea he can find in order to count them. When Scout ends up being one of the animals scooped up, Tad, Lily and Edison launch a mission to rescue him and encounter some surprising help.

Along the way, they learn to count as high as twenty. They also learn about things such as estimation and about developing an instinctive "number sense" to tell them whether a particular number is higher or lower than other numbers. Much of it is presented through song, generally pretty catchy. The video also teaches other more general, pro-social skills as well (i.e. playing games fairly.)
on January 20, 2011
My 2 year old loves leapfrog..
Numbers Ahoy really wasn't as upbeat as the rest
and doesn't get his attention as much as the rest.
The 3 best ones you really should get and I HIGHLY recommend.
Let's Go To School - Letter Factory - Talking Word Factory.
44 comments|40 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 22, 2011
This Leap Frog production attempts to do three things: 1) overview how to count to 20; 2) touch on the concept of "more" and "less" and; 3) spend a lot of time on a meandering, silly plot.

1) Within the course of this 30min -ish video, Tad and Lilly (the main characters) count to 10 six times (at least in a remotely memorable way) and count to 20 once. In the course of this there is a song, quite cute, counting fish, which I think would be useful for toddlers to develop counting skills. This song comprises one of the times they count. The other 5 are merely counting and, while obviously intended to be a helpful part of the video, they do not strike me as being something a small child might "latch on to" since they are merely spoken plainly. They count to 20 in the same manner. This is disappointing for me since in the Letter and Word Factory Videos (Highly Recommend!) the respective skills are emphasized with song, something universally acknowledged as helpful to early education.

2) I was surprised that the concept of "more and less" was bothered with. It was a pleasant surprise, yet it is briefly done and without much emphasis. The way this is introduced, as far as I can foresee, is neither very helpful nor at all bad...just there.

3) On this third point, Leap Frog was successful. Tad and Lilly magically go to the bottom of the sea with a fly, "Einstein" and their puppy, "Scout" to learn to count. There they meet some sharks and pursue a pirate "Pirate Pythagoras" whose ship floats beneath the water. Much time is wasted, in my opinion, in trying to make this seem logical. I'm not necessarily of the opinion that children's videos must be strictly realistic. It is good to foster imagination. Yet, since Leap Frog chose such a disjointed plot, they spend quite some time trying to make it make sense. Time that could be better spent... counting.

In the end, I would say this video is not a serious educational media.
on January 21, 2015
We really enjoy the Letter Factory series. This is too distracting with the story/plot, rather than focusing on the counting. I was also disappointed that they had to have a "bad guy". For little kids who have conservative, minimal tv watching and are not regularly exposed to what's on today's tv cartoons, it was very scary for my 4 1/2 year old (he was also scared of the big 'monster' snowman on Frozen - if that gives you an idea of what disturbs him). He was even disturbed by the sharks and their teeth falling out.

I wish there was a similar counting dvd as the Letter Factory - where an elaborate mix of story line is not needed. Wish they would just COUNT in this dvd. We also tried the Space Math/Counting dvd, which we found more able to tolerable than the pirates (I had to take the pirate dvd out as it was too upsetting to my son before we finished it). The space one has a "star storm" where the characters became panicked, which was also upsetting to my son. He cannot determined what is real or made up at his age, especially when what he's exposed so far in life has been simple/real life experiences or nature in general.
on September 10, 2013
We purchased the other learning factory videos and my daughter loved them and learned the entire alphabet. This video showed promise until the scary octopus came on. We have to fast forward when he came on and he unfortunately is in most of the video.
on November 5, 2011
This is our first Leapfrog DVD and we are very eager to purchase more after the success of this one! She seemed more in tune with the counting in the books that we daily read together after watching the DVD. I may have become more counting-oriented due to this purchase, so there is more to it than merely setting your child down in front of the tube.

The special features have the music portions listed, in case you merely want to visit the counting portions of the 30 minute show. We limit TV watching to DVDs and it is nice to simply allow for a few minutes as a treat as opposed to the entire show every now and then. The counting is then reiterated, which is a valuable tool for any small child on the learning path.

We have a few Leap Frog products (Violet and their reading pads) and have been very satisfied with them all. The characters and format that this brand has created has been all very likable and approachable to our daughter.
on April 14, 2014
Unlike any of the other Leap Frog videos, this one does not keep my son's interest the whole way through. I think it is a cute movie but some of the songs are not that engaging. He already knows a lot of numbers but this one has not taught him anything new.
on May 27, 2014
My 3 year old loves all the leap frog videos and has seen them a million times and actually learns her numbers and letters from them (as well as from me of course) and she loves to sing along to this one in the car. Very well done.
on January 17, 2014
I should have written a eview for this long ago. It's must have for your youngsters even if they go to pre school. Ours still uses it and it helped very much for her to learn her numbers. She love the Leap Frog and sometimes watches it even though she has masters her numbers