Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Leapfrog: Phonics Farm
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Fire TV Stick Melvins Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

Format: Amazon Video|Change
Price:$2.99

on January 2, 2012
I will only show educational video's to my kids and I love almost all of the Leap Frog video's and this is one of the best ones yet. I used to be the typical parent and play Shrek, Tangled and all those video's in the car cuz the kids love them and keeps them quite for long rides. In preschool, my 3 year old and was having alot of difficulty learning and memorizing the alphabet, colors and numbers. He was one of the lucky ones who got into the town preschool via the lottery. I was told that she would suggest holding him back from kindergarten until he was 6. I got rid of all those worthless DVD's and invested a ton on money on these DVD as well as Rock to Learn and many others. I would only show these video's in the car, every day, and my now 4 year old knows more than most kids his age and going to kindergarten at age 5. He knows upper case, lower case, numbers, all shapes, sizes, and have been working on phonics cuz he is ready. My favorite DVD's for those on a budget are anything by Leap Frog & Rock to Learn are Letter Sounds, Colors Shapes & Counting (age group says 4 but all appropriate for every age). For those with younger kids, I showed these video's to my now just turned 3 year old, and he knows everything backwards and forwards from just watching them in the car. I started my collection of DVD's in April of last year when he was just over 2, and he knew everything by summer. He is also doing sight words and this is all from just watching these awsome video's in the car. His preschool teacher would be shocked and so excited to tell me when I picked him up, that he knows his colors, oh, he knows all his letters, and I sent him to preschool when he was 2 & half cuz his birthday. I cannot emphasize how valuable these DVD's are in your childs learning. I have a 1 year old and he now is watching them too, and he is starting to say colors, some alphabet. Love them. Other good ones that are worth every penny are all the Preschool prep DVD's, I just purchased the phonics series, all very good. Munchkin Math ones are good, but expensive and short. Fundamentals DVD (2) are good, but fast paced. My kids did not care for the Baby Genius series, Brainy baby, Galloping Minds (all for younger 1-2 years old) Cedarmount Kids but all get excellent reviews. I just purchased Baby Bumblebee, and they don't care for those, but the opposites one is good. The Hooked on Phonics learn to read by HOB, not good. Also great show on PBS is Word World. My kids love it and we DVR it, and now that we are learning phonics, I have learned how valuable this show is. I hope this review is helpful to you. I cannot tell you how these DVDs have changed my kids lives, and how I look at other kids and watch how much they know, and how much better my kids are and its all cuz of these DVD's. Its worth your hard earned money.
44 comments|125 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 9, 2012
I have a confession to make. When my six year old son is at school, my two and a half year old daughter and I sometimes fire up his Kindle Fire without his knowledge. One of the videos I have downloaded on the Kindle for my daughter to watch is "Leap Frog Phonics Farm". I think it is mind-numbingly boring, but my daughter likes it a lot. It covers the same topics as "Leap Frog's Letter Factory," but in a less entertaining way. The upper and lower case letters are introduced along with their corresponding sounds, and there is also a song about vowels. It is probably good for my daughter to learn the same information in a different format. But if you were only going to choose one video, "Letter Factory" would be a better pick.
11 comment|74 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 15, 2012
We are a Leap Frog family. We don't watch much TV- just the occasional DVD and when my kids were 2 and 3, just educational videos. We LOVE the Leap Frog "Letter Factory" DVD series (different than this series) and I encourage you all to check it out. Letter Factory is the PERFECT starting phonics video for kids at age 2 1/2-4 who do not know their letters yet. My 8 year old still thinks it's fun to watch with his brother. Letter Factory introduces all 26 letters in Capitals only (important- not too much information to confuse at first) and only the single, short sound. Little kids don't immediately need to recognize lower case or that the letter "E" may sound like "eh", "ee", or silent e. It's just too much. They just need to know it says "eh" which is the short and most common "E" sound in Phonics. They will build on it later. The Letter Factory DVD keeps it simple and engaging- your child, along with Tad, will visit a room in the factory where each letter is being trained to make its sound, like the letter K's are dressed in Karate Uniform and kicking their lower legs making the sound "K! K!" And the song is very catchy throughout. Both of my boys- one a visual learner and one auditory, both completely mastered all 26 letters and short sounds and recognition of each letter within two weeks, and about 7 viewings. They were both under 3. The video is that good. They are smart, but it was the video that gave them the edge, better than me by myself. I watched with them, and stopped every four letters to discuss. My auditory child needed the added tool of holding and selecting letter magnets (added a physical element)during the video, otherwise, he just memorized the sounds and couldn't recognize.
Okay, so back to my review of THIS video....
I liked it! We watched it for free on Netflix. I thought it was a great 2nd step in Phonics learning AFTER the "Letter Factory," even though they are from a different Leap Frog series. Most of the other Leap Frog videos outside of the Letter Factory and Math Circus series (with the Frog character "Tad") were kind of lame. So Phonics Farm was cute and it worked well. My 3 year old has just been learning that those letter sounds he's so good at actually have to do with words! He didn't need to know that right away. We have been talking about how "A" says "ah (short)" for "apple." This video involved a group of animals greeting a train bringing new animals to their farm Each car had a different letter on the side. In the "B" car, out came a Bear, and it said "I am a B-B-Bouncing Bear"- nothing further to add, but used the short letter sound only and gave an adjective and an animal to relate to it. The upper case and lower case letters were on the car, but we ignored the lower case and can work on that later. My son recognized the capitals so he was right with them. I thought the songs were not great, but I nothing compares to the work done on "Letter Factory," so I'm biased. I thought some of the animals were creative. We didn't just have a Cat for "C" we had a "Colorful Camel." And have you ever come up with an animal for "U" or "X"? The "U" animal was an "Umbrella Bird" and it was just fine. For "X" I figured they'd make the common mistake and come up with some exotic animal that started with "X" but sounded like "Z" (think Xylophone!) But they instead chose an Ox and said that the "X" was at the end of his name. It was a great idea, AND they kept the Phonics sounds correct as "cs." Overall, a good video. Not my favorite, but we will definitely watch again becuase it builds on the sounds my child already knows and applies them to words he is not yet ready to build, and the characters are cute.
--The second video in the "Letter Factory" series is also wonderful, but is building words in the "Talking Words Factory" and the kids will be building "CAT" from "C" and "AT", "MAT", "BAT", etc. This is kind of the glue in between those first two videos and our teaching at home and preschool for my child to see how it all fits together. My 3rd grader reads at a 5th grade level and he jumped off into reading with "Letter Factory" series, so I can attest to it's greatness. And I think this one is a good one too as a supportive video after initial phonics learning. Hope my incredibly long review helped someone!!
on November 9, 2011
We regularly buy any Leapfrog DVDs that come out, and this one kept both of our kids' (son is 4, daughter is almost 2) attention better than most of the other ones that have come out recently! Glad to see the dogs (Scout & Violet) rather than frogs all the time. It's a fun & educational DVD, and the songs aren't annoying! :)
on February 18, 2013
I had the advantage of renting both this and Leapfrog: Letter Factory one after the other, and the differences are stark. Leapfrog: Phonics Farm has catchy songs, bright colorful characters, and a plot.... that are devoid of learning material. And some bits about phonics thrown in there for the parents. When me and my son finished watching this one, my son kept humming the theme song (about the leapfrog branded characters) and couldn't remember anything about actual letters.

On the other hand, after we watched Leapfrog: Letter Factory, my son couldn't stop quoting, "Is this the 'E' room"? to me. (Appropriate response: Ehhh??".

In short, if you're looking for a Leapfrog DVD about phonics, get the Letter Factory and leave this one alone. Where the Letter Factory is about teaching letters, this DVD is about getting kids hooked on Leapfrog DVDs. (on the other hand, DO buy Letter Factory - it's freaking brilliant.)
on June 22, 2016
Personally, I want to give this video a 1-star review, because as a principle I'm unimpressed by the cloying songs, the gendered animation, and false principle that a show has to be overtly "educational" to teach kids something.

But then my child requested the "green and purple puppies" on Netflix, and I couldn't refuse. He quickly became sufficiently obsessed that, on a long flight, we downloaded Phonics Farm on Amazon Video. Totally worth the price to keep a little guy entertained cross country.

The purchase is worth a little travel distraction alone, but an added bonus is that my toddler keeps running around our house singing about vowels.
on May 21, 2016
We do enjoy the Leap Frog movie series. However, I feel that the shows are too addictive for my child. The next day after viewing one he will throw a tantrum if I suggest doing something else besides watching the Leap Frog movies. I find this extremely frustrating. Also, he has watched the series repeatedly and they don't seem to really be helping him to learn his letters, numbers, shapes, etc. So I've decided to cut him off and just go back to a more hands on approach for learning. Also, the sound of the characters voices is a little abrasive to me. They are overly squeaky and it is grating.
on May 30, 2016
My girl love leapfrog so I bought this for her so that she can learn some phonics and it had proved once again that she love it. She is able to sit down throughout the show and even learnt some of the animal names which I haven't taught her before.

Disclaimer : I received the item at a discounted price in exchange for my honest review
on May 16, 2016
This video is an excellent learning source for kids! It really holds their attention and they love watching it. Makes me feel good that they love to watch it and are learning at the same time! I would highly recommend this to anyone who is thinking about purchasing it.
on February 19, 2014
I have written a few reviews related to the Leap Frog videos out there. I have yet to come across one that I didn't like - this one included. I feel that Leap Frog does an excellent job putting these videos together. They seem to genuinely care about finding the best way to teach young children different lessons.

That being said, I still think Letter Factory is the best one, followed by Words Factory. They just seem to really click with my son.

Phonics Farm is very similar in terms of the lesson being taught when compared to Letter Factory, but Phonics farm doesn't do as good of a job in my opinion. Both videos are aimed at teach children their letter sounds. The one advantage that Phonics farm does have is that it acknowledges both the short and long vowel sounds. There is also an actually point made about vowels which was nice.

All that being said, you probably won't be disappointed with many of the Leap Frog purchases. My son genuinely learns from them and enjoys them as well.