Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Learn French the Fast and Fun Way
Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on November 8, 2008
I found this book to be an EXCELLENT resource for the beginning French student. It lives up to its subtitle fast and fun. In other words, it exceeds in its objective which is to give the absolute beginner the very basic grammar, vocabulary and phrases they need to develop confidence and competence in probable real-life situations. In short, it will not overwhelm even the most timid and is an excellent launch pad to further study. Is it comprehensive.... absolutely not.... but it delivers on a very good introduction to basic french.

Along with this book, I would also consider buying Easy French Step-by-Step. This is a book for the more serious student and includes vocabulary introduced by order of frequency used, grammar, graded reading material, etc. If I was only going to buy ONE book... this would be the one and it will last most people a long time. I also recommend.... Easy French Reader. This is a popular, inexpensive, entertaining and useful reader to help integrate knowledge.

A difficulty for many people with french is pronunciation. I have found Pronounce It Perfectly in French with Audio CDs (Pronounce It Perfectly CD Packages) to be very helpful in this area. Another good audio program for pronunciation is SmartFrench Audio CDs Beginner Level. There are several levels of these and they are all very good. The more advanced you get the more you will appreciate the organization of the information.

Last, but certainly not least.... I HIGHLY recommend French I, Conversational: Learn to Speak and Understand French with Pimsleur Language Programs (Pimsleur Instant Conversation). There are many variations of this that contain more material, but this is the least expensive. Pimsleur was brilliant and if you really want to load things into long-term memory... dollar-for-dollar this will get the job done and improve your pronunciation and listening at conversational speeds.

Lastly, although it is QUITE expensive [[ASIN:B001AFD20E Rosetta Stone Version 3: French Level 1, 2 & 3 Set with Audio Companion] is a very fine resource. In my opinion, it's worth the expensive because it works... it works quickly and it is one of the most painless ways to get a new language under your belt. They also sell Level 1 and 2 separately and as a set, but I don't feel these are as good a value as the set. Also... I would try Pimsleur and seeing if you stick with it before you make this kind of investment.
on October 15, 2008
I had two semesters or so of French in college years ago. This set has proven to help me pick up where I left off. If I had never had French at all, I can see that it would still be very helpful, though. Yes, it is for those who know only a bit of, or no, French. You really can learn in 15 min. or so a day, or learn more quickly if you choose to do so by going farther. It's a great start, but don't expect something very advanced at all and you won't be disappointed. It uses different modes of learning to help one retain what is being taught. Very helpful. You may be able to check it out at the library first to see if you like it. That's what made me want to buy it.
on September 14, 2009
It must be the colorful pages that pull a student into the French language. You'll be reading and writing basic French in no time, if you work with French the Fast and Fun Way. Most important is the treatment of regular and irregular verbs. Plenty of opportunities to practice their definitions and conjugations. Also comes with illustrated flashcards and a handy dictionary. Perfect for the beginner!
on May 12, 2016
i'm a volunteer French Instructor at a senior center. This book makes it fun to learn the language. We have not yet started to use it in class because I felt it necessary to lay groundwork in pronunciation and grammar. I looked at it again last night and was thrilled to find that the entire book is in the present tense because my class is definitely not ready for any other tense. Love it.
on May 11, 2015
I learned French in high school, and am returning to it now. I'm using this book in a weekly class I'm taking, but I really like the explanation of the pronunciation rules, which I never learned before. It makes more sense than I thought!
on January 19, 2008
This is a cute book for beginning French students. As an intermediate French self-study student wanting to review some vocabulary and basic grammar, I found it very easy to go through. I finished the book easily in a few days.

It's cute because it includes several humourous illustrations that allow you to associate words with their French equivalent. One benefit of this book is that it introduces you into basic conversation dialogues, which is a richer way to learn, as opposed to learning words or grammar only. There are also lots of exercises. I agree that this book eases you into grammar, but more serious students of the language should consider other sources for more background. (I like the Ultimate French Review Book, and French Reference Grammar).

Also, each word has a pronunciation guide printed above the word, which was useful since I didn't have the tapes (so I cannot speak on the quality of the audio tapes). It wasn't my favorite comprehensive book, but if you want a no-brainer beginning French text with lots of vocabulary, it fits the bill.
on December 9, 2014
This book was written well. the book shows in detail how to learn French fast an fun and easy.I love it because it was written by Barrons and I have a lot of books written by Barrons and they now how to teach really well
on December 10, 2012
This book is fantastic. It was recommended by my Spanish instructor. I am a senior, and my class is in a senior center. This book is so thorough. It covers almost everything I want to know at this point.
on May 14, 2014
The local community college uses this book in their French for travel course. I had studied French decades ago, and wanted a clear, quick way to refresh my language skills, which had been completely forgotten! The worksheets, and straightforward way that the language is presented gave me a solid refresher before my trip to France this year.
on July 14, 2013
If your looking for a good french learning book this is the book for you. It is written in a very easy style for almost anyone to be able to easily understand. The 2 bonus items are the flash cards and, the French to English Dictionary with a Menu of Food items for you to get additional learning.