Professional restaurant supplies Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Sixx AM Fire TV Stick Beauty Gifts Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now STEM

Format: Spiral-bound|Change

This book is for students who are serious about learning Hindi language.It is not designed to help learn Hindi to simply survive during a short visit to Hindi speaking region.This book can serve as a text, teaching tool, or even a reference for non- as well as Hindi speaking students.It is a unique book for, it includes various aspects of grammar and explanations of the grammar rules written very clearly in English.It also includes the rules for gender application, which may even interest the Hindi speaking students.At the end of each chapter there are related exercises to facilitate the learning process.Good numbers of vocabulary words are included in each chapter. I find this book one of its kinds and recommend it very highly for learning,teaching as well as a reference book for family library.
on May 1, 2001
Learning Hindi from this book is akin to a non-English speaker learning Latin grammar before coming to the U.S. and expecting to understand/be understood by Americans! The book is needlessly pedantic and clearly (to me) pursuing a language "purification" agenda, which flies in the face of actual Hindi usage, be it in Bollywood, Kolkata or Dilli.
Whether the author and her ilk like it or not, today's Hindi is a rich, polyglot language, with perhaps half of its word count (esp. in spoken Hindi...more than 50% when sung in Mumbai film songs!) coming from "Videshi" sources e.g. Persian, Arabic, English. Not only does the author not acknowledge this, there is too self-conscious an effort to use retrograde Sanskrit words and forms, resulting in a language that would sound archaic/pedantic/quaint to most Indian ears, if not downright unintelligible.
For instance, most Indians would commonly use the Persian/Arabic/Urdu words duniya, kitab,jaanwar, zamin instead of the author's preferred prithvee, pustak, pashu,bhoomi (Sanskrit)for earth/world, book, animal and land respectively. An even more egregious case(which could cause real weird problems for the reader)is her attempted distinction between "ma'in" and "hum" for the first person pronoun "I". Pretty basic, no? Why she idio(syncra)tically reserves the first form for "I" and the second form for "we"is beyond me... when ALL Indians use them interchangeably for "I"!!!
The author does her readers a disservice in not pointing out more common forms, which generally happen to be Urdu...I wonder if this is the root of the real problem here? If so, she should have made it clear in the Introduction that this book was Hindi for Hindus, to be used by those who yearn for a return to a "sacred" Sadhubhasa, but virtually useless for communicating with the vast majority of Hindi-speaking Indians who cherish the dynamism and diversity of their mother tongue.
The grammar sections are fine, though, as could be expected, with some outmoded formalisms. An appendix on adjectives would be welcome for most learners, as the main section contains mainly a list of Hindi words without translation.
All in all, this is not a book for the general purpose Hindi learner. While the author says this book is for "reading, writing and comprehension", I believe its scope is even more limited: to "traditional" Hindi literature and literateurs. Which is fine, but then you wouldn't be able to communicate with your cab driver or rickshawalla, read today's authors and newspapers, definitely not be able to follow most Hindi movies or TV shows, and worst of all, never be able to enjoy the ineffable beauty of a Lata or Rafi song..."Chaudvin ka Chaand ho, ya aaftab ho" or "Jiya beqaraar hai, chhaai bahaar hai, aaja more baalmaa, tera intezaar hai."
22 comments|96 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 18, 1999
This is an excellent book to use as a reference for Hindi grammar. It would be more useful if it came with a cassette in order to see how the letters and words are pronounced. A bonus is the use of the devanagari script throughout the book. Probably the best Hindi language book available.
on July 9, 2001
I have read all the reviews of Learn Hindi by readers of the book. I was specially amazed at the comments made by mqshakes. I do not think the auther has any political agenda. A language does not belong to any particular religion. This book is not for people who want to learn a few Hindi phrases or words before going to India in order to get by there. The book is meant for people who want to teach or learn Hindilanguage. The book explains the rules of grammer in detail in very simple English with many examples in Hindi with English meanings. This makes it easier to understand the rules or to explain them to students. Pure Hindi words as jal or pustak as well as the words used in day to day life from other languages i.e. pani or kitab are included in the book. Another plus point of this book is that the author has also written a Primer based on this book.
on February 10, 1999
I have been learning Hindi for about a year, both in a classroom and on my own. Dr. Khare's book is a great reference tool. She has done an excellent job laying out Hindi's grammatical structure. It's easy to look up topics that may be giving you trouble, and there are plenty of example sentences to reinforce Dr. Khare's points. This book would also be wonderful for native speakers teaching their children the language or for adults who may speak but can't write or don't understand the grammar. The script is also very easy to read. Given the other materials on the market, I highly recommend this book.
on September 6, 2000
An extraordinary reference book for teachers as well as the students of Hindi language. The rules of grammar are easy to understand and there are plenty of relevant examples that reinforce the rules as well as exceptions to these rules.
on February 5, 2002
As an Indian born and raised in America, I have always had a faint familiarity with the spoken Hindi language as I gleaned bits and pieces from the conversations between my parents. I had also learned the basics of reading and writing the Hindi script as a young child. Presently a college student, I have desired to become proficient in Hindi and reconnect to the country of my family. I purchased Dr. Khare's book in order to learn the proper way to translate and write Hindi text. Learn Hindi and Hindi Primer part 1 are two of the best tools I could have purchased for this purpose. I am the kind of person that is not satisfied with simply knowing how a phrase is commonly written or translated. I want to know why. I want to know the methodology and rules behind the grammar. To me, that is the best way to learn. Dr. Khare's books taught me how to approach translating sentences into Hindi with a clear and effective set of rules while other books can only hope the reader makes connections after going through the chapters three or four times. These two books complement one another so well. While one provides the conventions of grammar to translate virtually any thought into and out of Hindi, the other provides chapters devoted to steadily building your vocabulary and using those new words in simple sentences. There is plenty of repetition to make sure the reader masters a concept before moving on. Overall, I must say that these books provided the structure a disciplined person needs to really learn how to read, write, and translate Hindi. I wholeheartedly recommend it to beginners and those who have a faint knowledge of the script and I look forward to continuing my studies with these very books and hopefully mastering their concepts eventually.