5.0 out of 5 stars Update to "the" beginners text for Perl
Learning Perl, 6th Edition is an update to the classic beginner's text for the Perl language. Perl version 5.14 features are introduced, although older versions of Perl will suffice for most of the content.

Published on July 3, 2011 by John Brady

3.0 out of 5 stars Learning Perl but how?
Very comprehensive but I felt it missed many simple tips and tricks. Many time s the author jumps right into the fine dining of Perl instead of clarifying the simple things first
Published 17 months ago by Porvoonian

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Update to "the" beginners text for Perl, July 3, 2011
This review is from: Learning Perl (Paperback)

The book is intended to introduce the basic elements of Perl in a tutorial fashion. It does not teach programming, and essentially provides the reader with enough language tools to create short Perl scripts. Most examples are straightforward and easily absorbed, although they are somewhat artificial (Flintstones characters aren't usually the subjects of Perl scripts).

Each chapter ends with exercises, which are really essential for the beginner to complete - this is where you actually use the language elements and learn to incorporate them into a larger program.

Users who do best working through a single example and building it into a working program may not enjoy this book, due to it's "bottom-up" approach to Perl. Without prior Perl experience, you will finish the book having a strong grasp of the building blocks used by the language ( variables, loops, etc .), but will need further reading to round out your education and produce more complex programs. That is not a negative reflection on the book or it's context, just a recognition that the approach used is not for everyone.

Overall, excellent work from a highly respected and experienced team of Perl trainers, well worth the time invested by the reader.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent introduction to Perl, even for non-programmers., January 13, 2012
Justin B. "J" (Falls Church, VA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Learning Perl (Paperback)
I am a computer professional, but not a programmer. I took a C++ course in college, 10 years ago, and in the last couple years I have taken up Bash scripting. I figured I could probably do more if I learned a real language, instead of just playing with Bash.

This book did not disappoint. It's been excellent. It takes a very practical approach to educating the reader on the mechanics of Perl, focusing on cumulative knowledge as the chapters move along. The text is reasonably engaging, and the material moves at a good pace - not too fast and not too slow. The exercises at the end of the chapters help reinforce the material, and even includes estimates of how long the programming should take. It clearly articulates differences between Perl versions without droning on incessantly about tiny nuances. It is riddled with footnotes for more advanced users to help them understand more and more exceptions to basic rules, as they are initially taught by the text.

To be clear, this book isn't a book that teaches how to program. If you're looking for something that covers procedural logic, this is not the book for you. However, I would suspect that even someone without a deep computer background, but just a strong willingness to learn, would find this book beneficial.

If you ARE a programmer, you might find it a bit novice, and the pace a little slow - maybe not though, maybe you should just absorb the material faster and fly through the chapters. It's hard for me to say.

It was exactly what I was looking for, and after some more practice, I believe I may be moving on to Intermediate Perl.

5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite programming book of all time, May 28, 2012
This review is from: Learning Perl (Paperback)
I initially bought this 1st edition book in 1997 and read every page on my bus ride to work. This is the only programming book I have read every page of and thoroughly enjoyed reading. I do have the other O'Reilly Perl books ( Programming Perl, Perl Cookbook, Regular Expressions ) and enjoy them but they are just too heavy to lug around and so they get left at home while I love to carry my lightweight Learning Perl book for a quick 15 min read at bus stop or coffee shop. This book makes Learning Perl a breeze and I highly recommend it. Buying the 6th edition will be my 3rd purchase of this book. This is the only tech book I have purchased multiple times due to getting the updates and due to book getting worn out by myself carrying it around.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for beginners, February 7, 2013
This review is from: Learning Perl (Paperback)
The authors caution that their intended audience are folks with programming experience who are new to perl. I had essentially no programming background, yet found the book for the most part to be a clear and consise introduction to the basic features of perl (scalars, arrays, subroutines, regular expressions, hashes, etc.) The exercises at the end of the chapters, along with their detailed explanations, clarified the concepts in the chapter. I strongly recommend this book to anyone new to perl.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, very comprehensive, February 12, 2014
This review is from: Learning Perl (Kindle Edition)
I have programmed in Python and a little bit in C and I think this book is great - and so is perl. I already knew a little bit about perl from reading a Wikipedia article and looking at the perldoc documentation, but Learning Perl taught my some very useful things that I would have never found alone (splicing, nongreedy regexes, just to name a few).
perl has amazing support for I/O, and the book helped me understand regexes and file I/O. I found both perl and this book to be good for other things, too. I wrote a logging program that wrote logs with timestamps, for example. Other things I used this book and perl for included a calculator, a text-to-HTML conversion program, and a password cracker.
Learning Perl helped me uncover some bugs in my programs, taught me many new things, and was also just a fun read. The only thing I would add would be more about OOP (Object Oriented Programming).
I found the TOC (Table of Contents) to be very well done and the e-book version had links to the proper sections. I could find anything quite quickly with the excellent TOC.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for beginners, January 29, 2014
This review is from: Learning Perl (Paperback)
I was looking for a place to start my Perl programming learning. This book was highly recommended by my peers. It was perfect. I was writing useful programs before I was done.

5.0 out of 5 stars just what is said, January 4, 2014
This review is from: Learning Perl (Paperback)
this is a great book for people coming to perl from other languages. They make the quirks and traps of perl very obvious so you don't spend 8 or 9 chapters smacking your forehead going, "That is the dumb, why do they do that?"

5.0 out of 5 stars First book to go through for learning Perl, December 1, 2013
This review is from: Learning Perl (Paperback)
This is a small concise book unlike the Programming <language_books>. Learning Perl is a 17 chapter book with lucid, detailed explanations. There are lot of exercises and a whole section at the end devoted to answers. There are chapters specific to regular expressions which is a pillar in Perl. Lot of text processing tricks are also in the book.

A useful book aimed at high school and above level. Can be used by industry professionals for variety of scripting jobs. As a note, Perl is deemed as a complicated language compared to Python. Lot of industry is moving to Python, but Perl has a large installed base and will continue for some time. This book debunks the complexity and tries to explain in simple terms. Definitely one of the first book for anyone aspiring to learn Perl.

4.0 out of 5 stars Well worth its classic status, September 21, 2013
This review is from: Learning Perl (Paperback)
It's no wonder this book is a classic and listed in almost every resource I've seen online as the go to book for learning Perl from the beginning. The book is well laid out, very well detailed without being overly complicated and cryptic, and covers enough material to really get going on most simple, but effective, perl scripts. The authors' over use of the Flintstones is a bit annoying and unnecessary. Nevertheless, the concepts are clearly described and laid out and then nicely reinforced by a few exercises at the end of each chapter. My only complaint in that regard is that I would have liked to see more exercises that I could use to sharpen my teeth included. Despite that, though, I think the book is a perfect start for anyone looking to learn the structure and utility of perl programming, and gives a very nice foundation that one can use to go further into the language with more complex data structures and programs.

5.0 out of 5 stars I like it!, September 17, 2013
This review is from: Learning Perl (Paperback)
I buy so many electronics from Amazon I feel like I need to review the book for its construction. Like "Excellent binding, pages were not torn."
As for actual content it is complete, has several advances topics and is worded nicely. It doesn't measure up to some of the other O'Reilly books in some spots. Most notably it doesn't hilight how to install Perl (I normally have the stuff installed beforehand, I just noticed it wasn't there this time around).
I'd recommend this book to anyone who wants to learn Perl, its clear, and it uses a realatively recent version of Perl as compared with its competitors and has some fallow-up books by the same publisher, should you want to further your learning.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Learning Perl
Learning Perl by Randal Schwartz (Paperback - July 4, 2011)
$39.99 $24.29