Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Learning Rails 3
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Adele Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

Format: Paperback|Change

on August 17, 2012
I'm just really diving into Rails, and I've been finding most books a quite dated. While most Rails 3 books were based on the beta release, or early Rails 3.0.0 era builds - this book is up to date as of Rails 3.2.3 (which is already outdated 3.2.8 released on 8/9/2012).

It's a very well written Rails book, along with some chapters covering SASS and CoffeeScript which is helpful since they both ship with Rails now.

Highly recommend.
on May 13, 2014
Although this book is getting a little long in the teeth now, it's still one of the better books for learning Ruby on Rails 3, and I've used it numerous times to help me get through some arcane part of the development process that I glossed over the first time. The text is well written and easy to understand, and uses good real-world examples to put things in perspective. It's hard to get a comprehensive text on Rails because the topic is so big, but this book at least does the job for anyone looking to get started. There are other books that go into more detail for specific use cases, but as an intro, I think this is one of the better texts. If I had any criticism, it's that Rails changes so quickly that some of this can get out of date fast. However, there's no reason not to start with Rails 3 and work up from there. The basics will serve you well in the future, and for later learning and growth.

The version I used was the Kindle text, and one great thing about O'Reilly electronic books is that they are faithful to the printed version, and the examples are both readable and useful. Some Kindle versions of other technical topics are near unreadable, but that is not the case here. I generally prefer to leaf through a printed version for my first "learning" books, because it gives me a chance to absorb the material by osmosis, going from chapter to chapter, and that's not quite as easy with ebooks. In the case of this book, I was already familiar with Rails and Ruby, and was looking for Learning Rails 3 to be as much a reference text (available on my tablet) as a learning book. From that perspective, it worked perfectly for me. If you're new to Rails and starting with this book, I might recommend you get the printed version instead, though.
on January 8, 2015
I am a part time community college instructor and used this book in one of my classes to teach rails. In all of my classes, generally students complain about the book. However, the students unanimously liked this book. You are methodically walked through MVC, with smatterings of assets, javascript and popular gems. The only problem is its becoming outdated as Rails 4 is now the standard. I would love to see the same content and structure only updated to Rails 4. However, IMO as of January 2015 still a good read for new Rails converts.
on April 22, 2013
While I am still working through the book, I've found the pace and information understandable. I had trouble finding the sample data, but in corresponding with the authors, it was easily accessible. If you need it, please refer to the following URL. [...]
on July 15, 2013
I really like this book. I have it in Kindle format, but I've just ordered the paperback, not because there is anything wrong with Kindle, but because I find myself referring back to this book often. It's just easier to flip through pages of a book then to look up things on Kindle.

This book has been super helpful to my rails education. It's written well, explains thoroughly, and has great examples.
on November 16, 2012
I picked up a copy of this book because the pragmatic programmer agile dev with rails latest edition is getting bag rap from reviewers. You're supposed to use 'bad rap' when the reputation isn't justified and to be fair, I didn't purchase the pragmatic book so I don't really know. As for "Learning Rails 3", let me give you my feedback: Basically, this is a very confusing book. The text and the examples are very hard to follow. As for the style, let's take a simple example early in the book (chapter 3) to illustrate my point:

Page 33: Example 3-12 shows a modified template (included in ch03/hello07) that creates a numbered list HTML fragment that the layout in Example 3-13 will include separately -- actually, before -- it includes the main template output. The structure created by the <% content_for(:list do %> code in Example 3-12 is called upon by the <%= yield :name %> tag in Example 3-13.

As you noticed, file names are not given a file location so you are always wondering what the heck the author is referring to when he mentions this or that file.

At this moment in the reading, I realized I wouldn't be able to return my copy as the binding got damaged after I had thrown it across the room. If anyone can make sense of this gibberish, feel free to leave a comment on my review. I mean it. I don't want to plagiarize the author any longer giving away more convoluted snippets of his horrendous literate style so I'll stop right here. I started developing a headache already.

My suspicion is that, like myself, the author's first language is not English. My other suspicion is that the English speaking editor was on vacation when the publisher decided to rush the copy out of the doors. Once more, quality suffers, And once more, this falls on the customer.

If you are into mind binding type of reading or need something healthier than sleeping pills and earplugs in order to fall asleep quickly, buy this book. If on the other hand, you are seeking a tutorial on RoR, look somewhere else. In my case, I went back to the pragmatic programmer 2nd edition complemented by some additional material for Rails 3.x I found online.
on March 18, 2013
This was a good book. It is good for referencing different sections. Authentication, migrations, associations, and in general the "rails way"
on July 30, 2012
If you're a designer who wants to move towards application development or programming, this book is for you. This title is for those who know HTML but lack the umph to create beautiful designs. Rails is for you!

Before you pick up this title, you have to know HTML! This is a must! And, how programming is done. Ruby/rails code is inserted in HTML and having a working knowledge of it is necessary. It's also good to be familiar with Cascading Style Sheets, too.

The book is not for those who think that HTML is a pain. There are programs out there that can build things without basic knowledge of HTML, Sheets and/or etc. Ruby and Rails is not for those who are satisfied with HTML in building web applications and sites. And, it is not for those who are afraid to learn new web programs and applications. But, for those who are willing, this title is a good choice to improve your web applications and everything else you may want to try to contribute to the betterment of the Internet...
on September 7, 2013
This is a good book but this is not a book for who is starting programming but for someone who already knows. I think in some themes is it a little superficial.
on November 25, 2012
From an Irishman's point of view - a great book for understanding the basics (and power) of rails!
Buy it!!