4.0 out of 5 stars Great alternative to a 10x magnifying loupe.
Published 15 months ago by keobooks

2.0 out of 5 stars Works for PC but not for Mac
If you own a Mac you have experienced compatibly issues. I have spent time trying to get accessories to talk to a Mac and given up frustrated. That is why I always check the reviews before buying an accessory for my Mac. This is the review warning you that the Zoomy may not work with your Mac and definitely does not work with Mac Mini running OS 10.6
The Zoomy does...
Published on February 15, 2012 by Mr. Electric

4.0 out of 5 stars Great alternative to a 10x magnifying loupe., May 6, 2013
This review is from: Learning Resources Zoomy Handheld Digital Microscope (Toy)
The zoomy came fast and was incredibly easy to install. I didn't bother with the disc. I just went straight to the website and downloaded the software. Even before I got the software up and running, both my Mac and my PC recognized it as a digital camera and integrated it into my pre-existing digital software. I didn't install the software on the Mac because I am primarily using it on a tablet PC.

The zoomy is very durable and easy to use. My two year old daughter can play with it and I don't have to worry about her breaking it. She runs it across the table and takes tons of pictures. She doesn't really know what she's doing, but I guess that a year from now, she'll be using it like a pro.

Sometimes it's a pain to hold, focus AND look at the monitor at the same time. I am too uncoordinated to get a movie made, as my hand shakes too much to keep in focus. I have seen movies made by a seven year old girl -- so I don't blame zoomy for the problem I have. I think I'm just too clumsy.

The only serious issue I have is with the claimed magnification. This isn't just a complaint I have with the zoomy. I have it with all USB microscopes. They make their magnification claims based on how big you can get something to look on a screen -- NOT based on how much detail and magnification you get from the optical magnifier. The optical magnification on this is 10x tops. The difference between 10x and 40x is pretty big. Its the difference between a magnifying glass and a dissecting microscope. It's the difference between seeing water bears as white pixilated specs and actually seeing their little body parts and tracking their movements.

I figured this out about Zoomy before I bought it by analyzing pics taken by others with the camera. I wasn't surprised that it didn't magnify at 43 when I got it. I was expecting a good 10x and that's what I got. It's nice to have the 10x magnification on the big screen so I don't have to squint. But I would hate to see someone buy this, thinking it was the equivalent to buying a 40x optical microscope and being disappointed.

All and all, it's a very fun little device, and I am satisfied with the product. I just wish USB microscopes would be a little more forthcoming about what their optical magnification was instead of claiming high magnifications they just don't actually have. With the zoomy, its only a 40x vs 10x claim. With some of the Celestron scopes, they will claim to have 400x when the optical magnification looks more like 20x.

5.0 out of 5 stars Zoomy is an excellent kid's microscope, September 5, 2011
This review is from: Learning Resources Zoomy Handheld Digital Microscope (Toy)
The Zoomy microscope is easy to load software for and starts up with no problem. My ten-year-old uses it as part of home school, to look at, identify & record all sorts of cool bugs. I think it well worth the $50 we spent. The USB connection is convenient and the pictures can be saved in .jpg format, the same as photos.

2.0 out of 5 stars Works for PC but not for Mac, February 15, 2012
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Learning Resources Zoomy Handheld Digital Microscope (Toy)
The Zoomy does work well with my PC but the software and the person who wrote the software both suck.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is so awesome!, March 15, 2013
This review is from: Learning Resources Zoomy Handheld Digital Microscope (Toy)
This product does what is says. It takes very clear, detailed pictures and videos. It has a preview setting. This means it has a "live view" screen to focus your picture, and allow for hours (!?!) of entertainment. If I thought this would be so much fun for my kids, I would have bought one sooner!

We bought it to correctly identify insects and spiders in the gardens, which it allows me to do wonderfully, but we have found so many other uses for it! My two children (2yo and 4yo) are in love with this little machine. They are exploring a whole new world! The first day we received it the kids looked at everything from their toe nails (ew!), lined paper, a house fly, a pencil tip, the dog's fur, the cat's ear, and we even located and pulled out a sliver in mommy's finger! They have more fun just watching the preview screen, and don't take alot of pictures with it. They are usually too involved, and move on to the next item without taking any.

For my purposes, I use it to correctly identify insects and spiders in the house and garden. It is essential to know what pest (or beneficial) you are dealing with to know if, when, and how to kill. Many nymphs, and instars of insects look similar if not identical to the naked eye. I now know that the brown beetle I thought was a common stink bug, it actually the fourth instar of the marmolated stink bug. This is an invasive, foreign species that is just now spreading to my area. It's the first time I've seen one, and he got the flush instead of being carried outside to freedom. I also know to look for more of them. It will also help me identify lacewing, ladybug, and parasitic wasp larvae. These are all beneficial insects that should NOT be destroyed, and will help, or completely control a pest insect in the garden. Bugs like thrips, gnats, and ants are no longer difficult to identify!

It has few options. For example the focus is not labeled like a standard microscope, so you can't tell what magnification setting is being used. But it's because of the low options that make it so kid friendly. It's easy to hold (smaller than a standard computer mouse), operate (single button push for picture taking), and the focus is easy to manipulate (turn left and right). Once I get it plugged into the computer and pull up the program, they can use the zoomy without any input from me, all I do is watch them wonder at the picture they see on the screen. This is going to be lots of fun this summer when we get pond water and garden worms to look at!

It does need to be connected to the computer to work, but for the tiny area focused, that's not a big deal. I use it with a laptop, and it has no problem. The program used with it loads fast, and the zoomy itself is quickly and easily recognized by any computer I've plugged it into. We have used it with Windows 7, vista, and XP with no problems. This little machine is durable (dropped by my kids several times), easy to use, and dependably works. Well worth the money I spent on it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really fun and educational, great for all ages., December 29, 2011
This review is from: Learning Resources Zoomy Handheld Digital Microscope (Toy)
This can be used as a toy, at school, for photos and for movies. I could see the inside of my nose and my ear. We used it to see our dogs skin (yuke). My dad is having as much fun with it as I am.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for young science buffs, March 7, 2013
This review is from: Learning Resources Zoomy Handheld Digital Microscope (Toy)
I bought this for my 6yr old son and he loves it. It is easy enough for him to operate on his own, including the multiple clicks it takes to snap, and save pics on his netbook. He made a great slide show presentation of the lifecycle of a mealworm and his teacher was so impressed that she ran out and got one for the classworm. The picture quality is great for the level of magnification and price point of the item. I would say this is appropiate for the prek-3nd grade student and it is fun to watch them explore, giggle, or even get grossed out by what they examine. It is small enough to take anywhere and he plans to take it camping with us to explore some creatures, plants, etc more upclose. This is a great and inexpensive way to intoduce or further enhance the love of science with a child. I would say the younger child will need help to save their images, but would be able to manipulate it with ease other than that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Whole family loves this!, April 27, 2012
L. Pearson (Jacksonville, FL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Learning Resources Zoomy Handheld Digital Microscope (Toy)
My 10 y.o. son got this for his birthday and the whole family is enjoying it! We've examined bugs, hair, fingerprints, money, leaves, clothing and anything else we can find! The magnification and resulting details are amazing. Device is incredibly easy to use and focus and you can take still photos and videos with one click. Someone commented about compatibility issues with the Mac but that's what we're using and haven't had any problems. Can't really comment on durability since we've only had it for 2 days but it seems to be well built and since it's so simple to use, I don't foresee any problems.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, January 20, 2012
This review is from: Learning Resources Zoomy Handheld Digital Microscope (Toy)
We love our zoomy! I was very impressed at how detailed the images were. It is very easy to focus and takes high quality pictures. I bought the zoomy for our kids, but am actually thinking of getting one for work. They would be great in the classroom too.

1.0 out of 5 stars Does not work with Mac OS 10.9, February 8, 2014
This review is from: Learning Resources Zoomy Handheld Digital Microscope (Toy)
I could not install Zoomy on a Mac, even after downloading the latest software from their website. I contacted the company and was told that it is not yet compatible with Mac OS 10.9 (Mavericks) and that it might be six months before it is compatible. I can understand the difficulty in keeping up with new operating systems, but I think it is terrible that the company does not clearly state on their website that it is not compatible with all Macs. They are disappointing a lot of children whose parents got this as a gift for them.

1.0 out of 5 stars Does not work with MAC OSX 10.8.2, January 13, 2013
Ryan B Hughes (Knoxville, TN United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Learning Resources Zoomy Handheld Digital Microscope (Toy)
Returned, would not show up on my laptop with the most up to date software for the mac as of January 2013.

Learning Resources Zoomy Handheld Digital Microscope