5.0 out of 5 stars Counting Cookies are Great
Published on February 13, 2006 by J. Green

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun but potentially dangerous
The manufacturer actually lists this toy as being for 2-5 yrs. Our 20 mo. old and 3 yr. old both enjoy putting cookies in and taking them out of the cookie jar. They like naming the numbers and counting the M&M chips. They like pretending to bake the cookies.

Published on May 2, 2007 by cam

5.0 out of 5 stars Counting Cookies are Great, February 13, 2006
This review is from: Learning Resources Counting Cookies (Toy)
These were given to my 2 1/2 year old as a gift and I will admit that, at first, I thought it was a rather dull gift. My daughter LOVES it, though. She uses the cookies for counting (and sometimes counts the M&Ms on top). She also has fun playing with them in her kitchen. She cooks the cookies and feeds them to her stuffed animals. She counts how many cookies each doll gets. She spends a lot of time arranging the cookies (and other foods) in the cookie jar.

It's really a great toy. We like a lot of the Learning Resources products.

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun but potentially dangerous, May 2, 2007
cam (Lexington, KY USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Learning Resources Counting Cookies (Toy)

Great right, wrong! The cookies are small enough to fit entirely into a 3 yr. old mouth and big enough to gag her. Luckily I was right next to her to help get it out fast. Age should be older than two unless they make the cookies too big to fit in a mouth.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great learning fun, February 24, 2010
This review is from: Learning Resources Counting Cookies (Toy)
I bought this toy to use at home for practicing numbers. My 6-year-old loves it! She knows her numbers but sometimes has trouble recognizing them in isolation, which is why I bought this toy. We have a few games we like to play using the cookies, which I thought I would share with you all in case you're looking for ideas. We put all of the cookies in the jar and then we take turns choosing one, when I choose a cookie, she has to tell me the number by looking at the numeral. If she doesn't recognize the number or she gets it wrong, we turn the cookie over and she counts the little M&Ms to tell me what the number is. Then I tell her something she has to do that many times. Then we repeat and she chooses a cookie, tells me what the number is, and I have to do that thing x many times. Some examples: jump, stick your tongue out, sit and stand up, spin around, go up x many steps, run to the bathroom and back, open and shut the refrigerator door, etc. After each turn, we lay our cookie down on the floor and then I ask her to tell me all of the previous numbers we have lying on the floor (for review). After we've done all of the cookies, I have her put the cookies in order. As a variation, before the last turn I'll ask her to put the cookies in order and she has to tell me which number is missing and then we check the jar. Although this game is extremely basic to an adult, do not estimate how much it will tickle your little one. My child was overcome with the giggles throughout the whole game and wants to play it over and over because she likes to think of funny things she can make her mommy do (like smell inside stinky shoes).

Another game: hide one of the cookies and ask your child to put the cookies in order. They have to tell you what cookie is missing and then they have to find that cookie. This game is great because if you hide the cookie well you can check your email or empty your dishwasher while they search.

Only downsides to this toy: the lid doesn't fit great and the product is made in China. Also, you may need to keep it out of reach of smaller children if you don't want to lose your mind trying to find missing numbers. That's the voice of experience.

P.S. Another great idea is to use the cookies to teach counting and numbers in a foreign language.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cute, simple toy!, December 12, 2006
This review is from: Learning Resources Counting Cookies (Toy)
I thought this toy was adorable. It's a great learning toy for math, but it's also fun for dramatic play! Two toys in one! This toy is also great for practicing fine motor skills. All of the cookies have a big white number on the bottom, directly correlated to the number of M&M's on top. So, you can count the top M&M's or work on number recognition by using the bottoms. My 18 month old daughter is also still obssessed with "put & take." So she spends lots of time just doing this with the cookies.

I have one slight issue with this toy - the top of the cookie jar doesn't fit on as well as I'd like. It never truly sits in place correctly, although it does sit on top of the cookie jar. I'm not sure if this is a manufacturing problem or if it's a shipping problem. It looks like the jar is VERY slightly bent into an oblong shape, which is why I think the top won't fit on. This could simply be a shipping issue just for me though. I've tried bending it back, but haven't had any luck.

Either way, educational and fun toy!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good cookies bad smell, October 3, 2010
This review is from: Learning Resources Counting Cookies (Toy)
The cookies are fun and my son likes to count the chips and put them in and out of the jar but the cookies and the overall plastic smell are horrible.

5.0 out of 5 stars Educational, April 9, 2012
This review is from: Learning Resources Counting Cookies (Toy)
I bought this toy to use in my classroom with special needs children. It is bright and colourful and as well as showing the numbers it provides sensory input for my young students counting the smarties on top. I would recommend it for young learners.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very happy, February 9, 2012
This review is from: Learning Resources Counting Cookies (Toy)
My daughter enjoys counting & playing with this toy in her play kitchen. In addition to helping her learn her numbers, it helps with teaching her how to clean up & put the cookies back in the jar. It's very durable, as she has dropped the jar & the cookies multiple times without any damage. Very satisfied, especially for the price (cheaper than at Target).

5.0 out of 5 stars Taught my son to count, July 12, 2010
This review is from: Learning Resources Counting Cookies (Toy)
This toy taught my son to count around 18 months without much prompting on my part. He has loved playing with it a various stages too - emptying and refilling, recognizing numbers, counting, pretend cooking, etc.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very cheaply made, September 11, 2012
This review is from: Learning Resources Counting Cookies (Toy)
My son is two years old and can already count to 10, but I thought he would have fun putting cookies in the jar and having it make noise. This toy makes no noise at all, its simply a cheap plastic jar and ten cheap plastic cookies. The cookies are so flimsy that you can bend them in half. For nearly $20 I feel this toy is a rip off. Save yourself the $20 and draw your child out 10 "cookies" made out of paper and turn a coffee can into a "cookie jar"- it will have just as much educational value and will likely last as long.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor quality, cheap plastic, toxic feeling..., March 26, 2011
This review is from: Learning Resources Counting Cookies (Toy)
This toy is horribly made! This is something you would expect to see in a dollar store. It feels very cheap. Even the packaging made me cringe. I am sending it back immediately. Go for Fisher-Price instead if you are looking for this type of toy.

Learning Resources Counting Cookies