4.0 out of 5 stars Fun For An Asperger's Child
My 5 year old son with Asperger's enjoys this toy. He likes to put puzzles together and this satisfies his need to put together and pull apart. While not as challenging as puzzle, the flashing lights hold his attention longer than I think it would without lights and the spiral/design stickers. What is also a plus is that my 7 month old loves to watch her brothers put...
Published on January 1, 2008 by Tammy L. Sibert

2.0 out of 5 stars A let down.
The pieces do not allow much flexibility in how the gears can go together. The plates allow only a standard grid arrangement. The vertical pieces allow the gears to interact at right angles, but this does not work at all as well as one would hope. The larger gears cannot interact with the smaller gears using the grid arrangement of the base plates - they simply do...
Published on August 4, 2011 by Matt Kizer

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Great toy for 7 year old boy, March 15, 2009
A Kid's Review
This review is from: Learning Resources Gears Lights and Action Building Set (Toy)
One thing that was pretty nice about this toy is that it is easy for you to copy the things from the cover. After about a week, I got a little bit bored of it, because my baby brother got into it and spread the pieces all over the house. The coolest thing was that I could make a fake UFO out of the motor when I put on a blinker light.

5.0 out of 5 stars great great gears, October 23, 2013
hours and hours of work and fun building various projects again not for children with short attention spans and low frustration tolerance would recommend for other children over ten years old

5.0 out of 5 stars Hit at birthday party, September 16, 2012
We gave this toy to our Grandson for his birthday. All the kids at the birthday party were playing with it. It was a BIG hit!0

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, fun and promotes thinking and creativity., March 9, 2014
The whole family (adults and children) loves building with this set of gears. This is a toy that will teach your child fundamental principles of mechanical engineering.

4.0 out of 5 stars Neat set of gears for my pre-schooler, but..., January 24, 2014
Paul A Andrews (Lansdale, PA United States) - See all my reviews
This is the motorized set, but the motor in this one was dead. Fresh batteries, and no movement at all from the motor.
I emailed LR, and they very graciously sent a new one. Which also did not work. It moved a little bit, if I held the gear with my finger, but then it would stop. I have not heard from them after I sent another email.
I would skip the motorized sets.

Update 2-5-2014:
I did hear back from LR, and they tested and sent a new motor. This one works! They were willing to send 2 replacement units with no hassle, so that counts for a lot with me.

3.0 out of 5 stars gears spin around and around, December 15, 2010
It's not really a toy to teach about gears. About all you can do is connect the base plates and chain gears together. They give you parts to make vertical elements but I didn't succeed in doing much. There are a few parts that came with no instructions and I can't figure out how to do much with them. They have a few parts to make different ratios but again, you can't do very much. I wish there were more instructions.

It's a great toy if you have a little one who likes motors and spinny things - they can put the gears down and make them spin. Just don't expect to be able to teach anything about gears.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT building set!, September 8, 2010
Karen Sharp (Parsons,kansas) - See all my reviews
Our 5 year old gradaughter loved this sets...as did Grandpa and Daddy! Wonderful things can be built, moved by the little "engine"..and the lights flashing off and on! The stickers were easy to put on...she did them all, and it's great fun to see all the different structures that can be built. HIGHLY recommend this toy! Gears fit together great!

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor design disappoints, January 4, 2009
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:3.0 out of 5 stars
My 9-year-old son got this for Christmas. The simple stuff is easy to make using small gears lying flat. We tinkered together for a while to make some of the complex systems displayed on the box, but frankly, they are impossible to make. I believe another reviewer for a version of this toy said that it would require adults using superglue to hold pieces together to make the cool stuff. I agree. The pieces do not fit together in a predictable or stable way to allow gears to turn as you build a tower (well all but the simplest tower with the small gears). I'd build a tower only to have it not work, or have it fall apart because the gears would only mesh if the pieces were not firmly fit together. The brief instructions don't help. The instructions crucially lack drawings of sample set ups. My son gave up after 15 minutes and I did a half hour later.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but not quite great., January 1, 2012
BazoDee (TX United States) - See all my reviews
I purchased this for my almost 5 year old son. My hubby and I are both engineers and we knew we would have fun with these gears. And they are fun to lay out and turn the gears and there are even gears that allow you to transfer the rotation to a 90* action. We will have fun with these. We've only been playing with it for a week -so these are just my initial impressions. However I was disappointed in a few things:
*I was really disappointed that the lights are battery operated -I had thought they would contain a gyroscope that would power the lights as they gears turned.
*The control for the motor came pulled away from the motor pretty easily -it stripped the wires. It should be easy enough to fix -I haven't opened up the control unit yet.
*The gears are of different sizes but the grid is fixed and so once you lay out a larger size gear, you can't really get another normal gear to connect because you have to have them centered on the grid pins.

Still it will be a lot of fun, but because of these limitations I think it is geared towards those really new to gears and maybe a bit younger, because it doesn't really have good gear flexibility.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, September 3, 2014
We only had this toy a day before returning it. The remote broke immediately. The gears are limited in how you can attach them. However, my son really liked the light-up features. It looks nice, but there isn't a lot that you can do with it. Most of the gears are the same size, with only a couple of big gears and a couple of medium sized gears. We went with the Quercetti set instead, and it has worked out much better than this one.

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›