Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now SnS

Product Packaging: Standard PackagingChange

Learning Resources Prepared Slides Combination Set, 48 Specimens provides young scientists the opportunity to view the world in a new and different way. For a reasonable cost ($16 for me...) I'm able to share something fun and interesting with my daughter which elicits "look at this Mom..." and "what do you think a 'blank' looks like under the microscope?"

Upon close examination these are glass prepared slides. Originally I thought they weren't, but after using them a bit I noted that there is a lightweight cardboard cover over the slide to identify the specimens on each slide. Not 'excellent' slides with regards to clarity, but certainly a great starter set: easy to use, simple things to view under any magnification.

In all you receive two boxes (set one and two) which include samples labeled as follows.

-Animals: cat hair, canary feather, dog hair, sheep hair.
-Pollens & Spore: tulip pollen, leaf spore, pine tree pollen, orange pollen.
-Tiny Creatures: common red sponge, angora rabbit hair, ant, mouse fur.
-Textile Fibers: panya, nylon, wool, handmade paper.
-Insects: dragon-fly wing, worker-bee wing, bee antenna, bee abdomen.
-Plants: stem of corn, leaf of nerium, onion rind, silver berry scaly hair.
-Pollen & Spore: pollen of lily, sunflower pollen, bottle brush spore, fern spore.
-Tiny Creature: plant louse, fruit fly, shrimp egg, silk worm larva (moth)
-Textile Fibers: hemp fiber, silk stuff, cotton fibre, bemberg.
-Insects: leg of butterfly, wing of butterfly, wing of locust, let of honey bee.
-Plants: pine wood, camellia leaf section, bamboo shoot, sponge gourd.
-Animals: goldfish scale, hare hair, camel hair, feather fowl point.
review image review image review image
33 comments163 of 163 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 15, 2007
Couldn't wait to get these, but my daughter and I were very disappointed with them.They're dusty and don't have enough variety.

Who wants to see camel hair, dog hair, cat hair, sheep hair, mouse hair, etc., if there's no real distinction between them?

Also the insect slides consisted of bugs that weren't flattened properly, so what you get to see is a lump that's supposed to be an ant, another lump that's a fruitfly, and so on.

How hard is it to lay the ant flat on the slide? If it's hard for Learning Resources, they shouldn't be in the business of making slides.

I feel completely ripped off, and I feel bad that my kid doesn't get to enjoy what could've been an awesome educational experience.
11 comment180 of 187 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 12, 2009
I was pleasantly surprised with the specimen especially after reading some of the reviews. The specimen are made well, were not dusty, boxed well and labeled nicely. I found that some people did not care for some of the slides. I thought all of them were incredible!! All the hair slides do look different, not all the same as someone stated in their review. If you have a duo-scope microscope (I have a My First Lab Duo-Scope - Love it!) that allows you to view the slides with light from above and light from below you will see major differences in detail. If you look at the slides with the light from below, some look a bit boring. But, if you use the light from above the slides the detail is amazing. My husband and I checked out all the slides before the kids and we were amazed! Even the hair samples looked great. We especially loved the ant slide, what detail!!! I think that the differences in what other reviewers saw have to do with the microscope being used.

The 48 specimens come in two boxes of 6 slides each which are 6 different categories. Each slide contains 4 specimens.

The slides for the first box are as follows:
1)Pollen & Spore - Pollen of lily, Sunflower pollen, Bottle brush spore, Fern spore
2)Tiny Creature - Plant louse, Fruit fly, Shrimp Egg, Silk worm larva (moth)
3)Textile Fibers - Hemp fiber, Silk stuff, Cotton fiber, Bemberg
4)Insects - Leg of butterfly, Wing of butterfly, Wing of locust, Leg of honey bee
5)Plants - Pine Wood, Camellia leaf section, Bamboo shoot, Sponge gourd
6)Animals - Goldfish scale, Hare hair, Camel hair, Feather fowl point

The slides for the second box are as follows:
1)Pollen & Spore - Tulip pollen, Leaf spore, Pine tree pollen, Orange pollen
2)Tiny Creature - Common red sponge, Angora rabbit hair, Ant, Mouse fur
3)Textile Fibers - Panya, Nylon, Wool, Handmade paper
4)Insects - Dragon-Fly wing, Worker Bee wing, Bee antenna, Bee abdomen
5)Plants - Stem of corn, Leaf of nerium, Onion rind, Silver berry scaly hair
6)Animals - Cat hair, Canary feather, Dog hair, Sheep hair

All the specimens for each category is color coded. I am very happy with my purchase.
11 comment65 of 65 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 15, 2007
Great for instructional purposes, a good variety of objects, well-mounted, but the slides are quite dusty. Each specimen looks like it's floating in outer space, surrounded by a field of stars. They were probably created in an environment with poor air quality.
0Comment53 of 55 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 30, 2007
I was a little hesitant to purchase this product after reading some of the other reviews; however I was delighted with the product after it arrived. The samples are good, great variety, and no issues with them being 'dusty'. I would definately recommend these slides to others for the purposes of fun and education.
0Comment32 of 33 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 12, 2010
If you are looking for prepared slides to view under moderate magnification with a microscope, these slides are not for you. They are made by scotch-taping large specimens onto a glass slide. Since they are not thin enough to transmit light, they are more suitable for a dissecting microscope with top illumination. The Konus brand is much better quality.
0Comment30 of 31 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 27, 2008
I purchased this slide set for my 8-year old daughter and she loves it. She has spent alot of time using it. There is a nice assortment of specimens. She is now looking forward to making her own slides. I just asked her how she likes it and she says that "I recommend them for kids who are interested in science or tiny squashed up bugs". Of course they are glass and should be handled with some care.
on March 26, 2009
48 specimens for less than $[...] bucks. That's less than 50 cents a specimen. I wasn't expecting a lot for my money and I didn't get a lot either. There's a reason why these slides are in the "toy" section. They're good enough, for the price, but certain not high quality. The better your microscope (both top and bottom illumination is really necessary for the insect specimens), the better your experience.
on January 14, 2008
These are great! I am glad that we spent the extra money to get these when we decided to purchase the microscope! It was nice to have some premade slides where my son could immediately view insects and other things. I mean, we are in the dead of winter so bugs and pollen and things like that are scarce right now. He will be taking one of these slides along with his microscope to school for show and tell! Very good way to get them introduced and excited about science!!
on March 28, 2009
The inferior quality of the mounting and preparation of the slides made these almost useless with a microscope.

These seemed like they were hastily prepared and never inspected. The educational value is questionable and likely to frustrate any student that uses them.