5.0 out of 5 stars Great Addition to a Busy Classroom!!!!
Published on September 28, 2011 by Teaching Mom

2.0 out of 5 stars Not exactly great
Published on June 14, 2011 by Cynthia Wincel

2.0 out of 5 stars Not exactly great, June 14, 2011
Cynthia Wincel "CW" (Indianapolis, Indiana United States) - See all my reviews
= Durability:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Learning Resources Time Tracker Mini (Toy)
I purchased this item to help my Autistic son with waiting. The biggest draw back is that it can ONLY be set in 5 minute incriments. The dial does not move to indicate how much time is left. And if the start button is pushed more than once (Kids) it resets the timer. I never saw the light change to yellow. Only blink red when time was almost up. Hope this helps. I am returning it to the store.

3.0 out of 5 stars Effective but confusing, August 31, 2012
= Durability:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Learning Resources Time Tracker Mini (Toy)
We purchased the Mini due to other reviewers commenting on how confusing the larger one was to program. We wanted the timer for our son for this morning school routine (dressing, eating, etc). Now let me say that I am an engineer and reasonably good at problem solving. However, this timer, which has only a green and yellow adjuster really perplexed me for about a week. I eventually sat down with a stop watch to figure this thing out because it does not come with directions. For all of the other parents out there, here is how it works.

The green band sets your total time. If you only want 5 min then the timer will go from green directly to red after 5 min no yellow. For 15 min, the green band is on 15, etc.
That's not so bad, I would have thought that the green band set the time of the green light but nope, green band is the total time.

The yellow band sets the duration of the green light. So illogical, but if you want 10 min of green and 5 min of yellow you have to set the green band to 15 and the yellow one to 10. Rather than the yellow band setting the duration of the yellow light, you have to do the math and subtract the green band which is really the total time from the yellow band which is really the green light to get the yellow time. Confused? Yep, we were too.

I hope this helps lessen the confusion, it really is a great tool and works wonders, but is so frustratingly illogical to use. I'm happy to have it but wish it were more intuitive.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Addition to a Busy Classroom!!!!, September 28, 2011
This review is from: Learning Resources Time Tracker Mini (Toy)
This timer is very easy to set. Simply twist the green band to the amount of total time that the timer will run, and twist the yellow band to how long after the timer starts that you would like it to show the yellow warning light. The volume is adjustable, which is perfect for a loud/busy classroom or a quiet space such as the library. One of my students does fabulous with transitions when he can see the lights change.... when it turns to yellow, he'll tell me that he only has a little left, and when it turns red, he just gets up and follows the group. Without the light there are arguments and negotiations for more time! Works GREAT! LOVE IT!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I needed!, January 14, 2012
= Durability:4.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Learning Resources Time Tracker Mini (Toy)
I have a four-year old who loves to dally. When she wants to get a task done, it only takes her 3 minutes, but sometimes she can go for 3 hours and still not have it finished. Trying to set limits on her is difficult, because she doesn't really understand the concept of time yet. Using other timers, even cute ones, has always resulted in a major meltdown, because she feels as if her time is almost up from the moment we press start - even after repeated assurance that she has more than enough time to complete the task at hand. This timer has worked miracles in our house. . . she knows she's being timed, and that when her time is up there will be consequences, but as long as the light is green, she stays on task and doesn't freak out about it. Being able to set a warning bell/light is genius - she understands that now is the time to rush to get it done before it goes red, and though from time to time we do have orange-light meltdowns, they've been far less frequent than with our old timers or with no timer at all. It has made a huge difference. Having a concrete thing to mark the end leads to much less arguing and begging for a little bit more time. You might be able to sway mommy with tears, but a timer is a machine - when it turns red she can't plead with it for more time. Life has gone on much more smoothly for us since we got this awesome little timer! You'd think she'd hate it, but she actually really loves it, and ASKS us to set it for things that we wouldn't normally. I DO wish that it could be set for smaller increments - at least that the warning light could be set in single minutes instead of increments of 5 - so that we could use it to mark when it's time to give someone else a turn with a toy, but as it is, I love it and highly recommend it to anyone going through a similar problem. We use it mostly for room cleaning (it doesn't take 4 hours anymore!), getting ready to leave the house (be ready in 15 minutes, shoes and all!), to set limits on time spent on her computer, and to keep her in her room during quiet time - she doesn't come out every 3 minutes anymore, because she can see that it isn't time yet!

5.0 out of 5 stars Not to be dramatic - but this product has changed our lives!, May 8, 2012
This review is from: Learning Resources Time Tracker Mini (Toy)
We were constantly struggling to get our 3 boys ready in the morning. I got so sick of reminding them to get dressed for 45 minutes straight! Now we set the timer, with a warning when there is 5 minutes left, and they are on their own. If the timer is up before they are ready, they will go to bed 15 minutes earlier that night since they are obviously too tired to get dressed. We do the same for breakfast - when the timer goes off, breakfast is over. You can mess around all you want but you're going to be awfully hungry until lunch.

Agree I wish it wasn't automatically 5 minute increments but it works great for us. The reviews I read for the original time tracker seemed like it was hard to program but this one is a piece of cake. Definitely recommend!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not That Great, December 27, 2011
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Learning Resources Time Tracker Mini (Toy)
Though the Time Tracker Mini seems to do exactly what it's supposed to, it doesn't do the one thing I wanted it to do. It DOES count down the time and at the alotted setting, the yellow warning light turns on to indicate the "5 minute warning" or whatever you set the yellow dial to. I wish it counted down the time so that, as the adult, I would know EXACTLY how much time is left. My son loves it though. I would suggest on the next update of this product to have it show how much time is left. All and all, it serves it's purpose.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for home use., January 16, 2013
This review is from: Learning Resources Time Tracker Mini (Toy)
We bought this timer to use for video games, homework time, showers, and more. I love that it gives a warning sound and changes color so that my kids can prepare themselves to end the activity they are doing. One of my children is autistic, so it helps him to transition much more smoothly.

The green timer you set for the overall time. The yellow timer is set as the warning alarm. Be sure you set the warning alarm with the amount of time you want to pass before it goes off, vs. how much warning time you want to give. For instance, let's say you set the overall time for 30 min. of video game time. If you would like to give your child a 5 minute warning, set the yellow timer for 25 min. Then hit the start button.

A great feature of the timer is that you can adjust the timer volume. My autistic son is sometimes startled by the timer if it is on the loudest setting. If you would rather have a timer that can be set to the minute, Learning Resources makes a timer with that feature. It's harder to set than this one, so I prefer the mini.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great timer for kids!, September 22, 2011
This review is from: Learning Resources Time Tracker Mini (Toy)
With the Learning Resources Time Tracker Mini I can easily set the timer in five minute increments up to two hours, and push start. It is not at all complicated to use, just turn the Green dial to the time limit and push Start. You can even turn the yellow dial to a warning time which is great since kids sometimes can get lost in activities.

The Time Tracker Mini is about five inches tall and made of a durable plastic. With 360 audio and visual alarms, it is great for kids to see at any angle. It would be perfect for home or classroom use! There is also volume control on the back. It does require 3 AAA batteries, which are not included, but I like that it takes batteries rather than trying to plug it in somewhere. The only problem I had with it is once I set it and push Start, if my boys push Start again it resets it. My solution though has been to just keep it up on the counter where they can see it but know not to touch it. Overall though it has been great for tv time limits, time outs, and outside time. It is easier for them to look at the tracker than try to figure out a regular clock at their ages of 3 and 4. They know when the timer (or warning) goes off that their time is up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quite possibly the best timer ever, June 20, 2012
This review is from: Learning Resources Time Tracker Mini (Toy)
Unlike other reviewers here, I bought this for an office environment. I am training myself to follow the "pomodoro" technique of time management (you work in 25-minute focused increments, followed by 5-minute breaks) and I needed a timer that I could set quickly and repeatedly. I also needed something that didn't have an annoying ticking that I'd have to listen to all day nor an alarm that would undoubtedly disturb (if not alarm!) my office mates.

This fits the bill perfectly. The ring to set the timer interval spins smoothly, but securely. The yellow ring you set for when you want to have a "warning" light. In my case, I set the timer ring for 30 and the yellow warning ring for 25. At minute 25, the yellow light begins flashing, telling me it's time for a break. I step back from my work for five minutes. At the end of my break, the light turns red, at which point I press the green start button and the next cycle begins. Couldn't be more perfect for what I needed.

I experimented with the best placement of the timer so it would be visible without being distracting (there's no way to control the light's brightness). I've received several comments and questions (someone - a Doctor Who fan apparently - asked me what the glowing "Dalek" was on my desk!), including some folks who said they'd need to buy one for themselves.

4.0 out of 5 stars Mini Time tracker from Learning Resources..very useful! (and better than model w/ power adapter), June 14, 2011
Yogesh Godbole (Walnut Creek, CA, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Learning Resources Time Tracker Mini (Toy)
This mini tracker is great improvement over earlier model by Learning Resources. No need of AC power adapter! The earlier bigger model as reviewed by others was bit difficult and complex to set time. This mini tracker has only two rotating dials to set time, volume adjustment button and start button....very easy to setup in just 5 seconds! Most important, It has 360 degrees visibility of Green/Yellow/Red light which was not for the earlier bigger model.

Product looks to be durable and just 50% of price of bigger model (w/ power adapter). My rating is 4 out 5.

Learning Resources Time Tracker Mini