Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: e-Learning and the Science of Instruction: Proven Guidelines for Consumers and Designers of Multimedia Learning
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer angrybirds angrybirds angrybirds  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports STEM

on February 1, 2012
I just finished reading the book "e-Learning and the Science of Instruction" from cover to cover. I can't say that I read many books that comprehensively nor as carefully. My highlighter was busy!
What makes this book so very good? First, it is based on scientific facts and studies, not just opinions and theories. Second, it dispels myths about e-Learning. And third, it is written in an easy to follow style.
This book has been updated, now in its 3rd Edition. I read the 3rd Edition, and the author carefully explains what has been updated. Primarily the updates are because more research has been done in regards to what is effective, and what isn't.
This is not a beginners guide to e-Learning, but an advanced level book with even a bit of statistics (which are well explained). Each chapter has a section on "what we don't know" and this shows that the field of e-Learning design and development are not a fully mature field of study.
I've already put into practice some of the things I read in this book!
Highly recommended!
David Richards, web-master,[...]
on November 5, 2011
I am an M.Ed. student in Learning and Technology and I have been purchasing and reading just about everything I can get my hands on about Instructional Design and e-Learning. This is hands-down the best comprehensive resource I've read to date and is so timely to include new research supporting the principles presented. I have other Ruth Clark and Richard Mayer books (Graphics for Learning, Multimedia Principle etc.) and I can see that there is information pulled from those books and consolidated into this one. I am so appreciating how the information has been combined and integrated together which has really helped me plan for repurposing an 8-hour intructor-led course into an e-learning course, using their well presented ideas. I had skimmed the 2nd edition at work and still decided to purchase this 3rd edition and I'm glad I did. Five years is a long time in this industry for changes and learning about new research.
on February 25, 2013
Returning to academia after a few years of being out of the game for a few years.
I needed a book to update my educational technology and e-learning knowledge without proclaiming technology is the answer to elearning vs solid instructional design principles.

The book adheres sound instructional technology and design while providing the reader with updated information on Web 2.0 as it relates to elearning. The book was a good read, the references back and forth on how to use, design and facilitate elearning was very useful.
I was able to quickly bring my knowledge back into the current decade/year and make good use of the information as I designed faculty development modules for our professors as we expand our online, social media and blackboard integration into the classroom and across the learning spectrum.
on January 1, 2014
I used this book as text for my Master's program. I have over 15 years of instructional design and teaching experience and I was skeptical that I would learn more from this book. This book exceeded my expectations and I have recommended it to my colleagues. It provides realistic techniques and proven methods of creating clear and relevant course materials. In fact, I have cited information from this book to help prove the designs to my internal staff and our clients. The results were great.

It is well worth your time.
on August 5, 2013
Very well written and evidence-based, the kind of book that I would like to read and share with my students. This is an excellent resource to add either to beginner classes or advanced programs.

It is not only helpful for those doing online design, there are also a lot of pointers applicable for authors of powerpoint slides for instructor led programs. Don't go without this book if you are thinking of doing online instructional design. Highly recommended.
on November 15, 2015
The info in here is such common sense, I can't believe it constitutes a college textbook... especially a graduate level class.

The author is very repetitive. Info is repeated at least twice throughout the chapter, as well as later in other chapters.

A lot of pages are spent mentioning what was in previous editions of the book (who cares?!), as well as what is *not* known about specific subjects (how does this help?).

Overall, it's a nice overview of info, but doesn't nearly provide enough information to warrant being a graduate college textbook.

As a side note: the font is huge, and it's an easy read.
on January 2, 2015
Required reading for my M.Ed. That said it's a good read. Mayer and Clark take loads of research and formulate it into the multimedia theory of learning. They writing style is clear and not overly academic or wordy. This book would be a benefit to anyone who is involved in designing or producing multimedia education or training products. Even if you are not the one responsible for producing the video, audio, storyline, or captivate projects, it still contains info that would be helpful in writing storyboards, meeting with stakeholders, and reviewing or evaluating multimedia training. I'd also recommend it for educators who are considering adding multimedia to their curriculum, or any faculty who is teaching and online class.
on August 4, 2015
After years of working in the e-learning industry and having read thousands of articles about so-called e-learning best practices that are often (but not always) trendy and opinionated, I was very happy to pick up a copy of this book. It's full of practical recommendations that are based on empirical research of how people actually learn through e-learning and multimedia courses. A great foundational resource for anyone starting in this industry. For industry veterans, it offers us opportunity to audit our e-learning content to see whether we designed it correctly, and to ensure we're doing it right going forward.
on September 5, 2013
For any Instructional Designer just starting out this book has a lot of great information!! Too bad the class I bought it for chose not to have any assignments that corresponded with the information. I'm going to keep it for my future reference, I'm that big of a nerd.
on May 28, 2013
I have just started this book in a graduate class. it is very interesting even if you are not in the teaching profession. It reads easily and simple to follow. Just with the first chapter have found it helpful in developing training for adults where I work.