5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!, July 9, 2003
Adam Chen (Mercer Island, WA USA) - See all my reviews
I totally disagree with the "library journal" review. Not only was this book inspiring, heartwarming, and unique, it told a tale of a woman who defied so many odds by transforming her suffering into the desire to help others move forward into peace. I have read many books by Buddhist scholars before, but none as simple and biographical as this. It was heartbreaking at times; hearing about killings, learning about lost loved ones, learning true love, all of this is conveyed in such a way that you feel you're actually there.
There is no broken English in this book, I don't know what the review is talking about. There's only one typo that I found in the entire book, and it was typing error, not a grammatical one. This book should be on your priority list: if you give it a try, you'll find that you want to keep it in your collection forever. It's a priceless concentration of thoughts that move and inspire you, both to touch suffering and not to despair when faced with challenges.

4.0 out of 5 stars A very fine autobiography, November 6, 2002
Wyote (a planet rich in iron and water) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This is the autobiography of a Vietnamese Buddhist nun who spent her life trying to help people whose lives were devastated by the wars. Because of her close association with Thich Nhat Hanh, it is to some degree an informal history of his activities as well. One of the most interesting aspects of the book is her frustration with the American peace movement. Her life (and his) are both quite inspiring, so this is a challenging and uplifting book. I would happily recommend this book to anyone interested in Vietnamese Buddhism, the war and the peace movements, or Vietnam in general.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring, beyond words, September 13, 2007
This review is from: Learning True Love: Practicing Buddhism in a Time of War (Paperback)
Sister Chan Kong is truly a living bodhisattva. Her selflessness, generosity, and meritous actions shine through the words of her autobiography. In adversity, she tirelessly sought to improve the conditions of others and ease their suffering. The book left me wanting to know more of her life. Each picture that I have been able to find of her is a face of serenity, peace, and calm. I have a greater understanding of the suffering of the Vietnamese people.

5.0 out of 5 stars beautiful and inspiring, June 29, 2000
By A Customer
This book was so inspiring to me. It is the life story of a woman that has stood in the face of the storm and has emerged with clarity, compassion, and hope. It teaches every one of us who is seeking to build a better world how to give everything we have, and if our work is destroyed tomorrow to begin to rebuild with faith, again and again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tragic, Beautiful, Uplifting, Heartrending Love, September 24, 2012
This is a book of many purposes. You may be interested in the peace movement, practical Buddhism, the Vietnam War, neutrality, or a hundred other human topics, and this book will do more than just meet your interest. It will inform, but it will also inspire. It will teach, but it will also motivate. It will calm, but it will also kindle. Why? You will find here the first-person perspective and journey of the author through the difficulties of not only the Vietnam War, but personal relationships and choices and commitments. In such essential and groundbreaking work, there are wonderful seasons of success and painful times of disappointment. This book teaches in three ways: through what is written, by personal example, and by the larger unfolding story of how people and events intersect with life choices. I did not find it hard to take the author's experiences and apply some of the insights to my own life. Some have commented negatively on the writing, but I was so carried by the telling that I did not notice. Although parts of the story itself may be difficult to read through, the narrative is easy to follow and digest as you proceed. I found the book true to its title; you also can learn something of true love by reading and reflecting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful book, March 29, 2007
I had the amazing pleasure to meet Sr. Chan Khong and her prescence and life has definitely been an inspiration to me.

The book is highly recommneded!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Book, July 23, 2013
Sister Chan is not a writer by trade, but her straightforward, honest prose makes this book an inspiring and compelling read. Underlying her amazing story is the message that any person, no matter how seemingly insignificant, is capable of effecting positive change in our world. Beautiful words that challenged me to make changes in my own life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love every page !, January 9, 2013
Through her book, I came to know of the struggles, pains that the ordinary Vietnames suffered during the difficult years. And the sacrifices and heroic stories of the many boddhisattvas like Sister Chan Kong, Master Thich Nhat Hanh and many many others. I salute them for their courage in stepping outside of orthodox buddhism to put it into practice. I cried through many of the pages. Thank you so much for showing the world especially buddhists how to put compassion and understanding into action and what true love is all about. Great BOOK! It is my first kindle book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Heartwarming and inspiring, December 9, 2011
Very inspiring book. Sister Chan Khong's radiant energy and the true love she feels for humanity permeate this book. She shows us one of the beautiful lessons of Buddhism, that we are all capable of being bodhisattvas in our own lives. We each have the power to help others in need and help ourselves. A heartwarming reminder of how wonderful the present moment really is.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Very Lovely and Heartwarming book!, September 4, 2014
This is a beautiful and heart warming Memoir! I used it a lot for my Masters Thesis! It is extremely touching, and highly recommended!

Learning True Love: Practicing Buddhism in a Time of War
Learning True Love: Practicing Buddhism in a Time of War by Thich Nhat Hanh (Paperback - April 26, 2007)
$21.95 $15.48