Customer Discussions > Java Concurrency in Practice forum

Lea's 3rd Edition?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 21, 2006 9:12:59 AM PST
Lee Rhodes says:
Since Doug Lea is a co-author of this book, is this the expected 3rd edition of Lea's Concurrent Programming in Java?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 26, 2006 8:48:46 PM PST
Brian Goetz says:
I can't answer for Doug, but...

This book is not derived from Concurrent Programming in Java, and it takes an entirely different approach. Where Concurrent Programming in Java is an encyclopaedia of "All Things Concurrency", Java Concurrency in Practice is more of a practical tutorial, addressing design principles, mental models, and practical rules that should make it easier to write safe and performant concurrent programs. It also covers the new concurrency features in Java 5.0 and Java 6.

That said, you can bet that many of the things on Doug's "Things to say in CPJ/3e" list were addressed in some way in this book. (Number one on this list is, of course, how to use the classes in the java.util.concurrent packages.)

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 17, 2006 5:12:19 PM PDT
H. Kabutz says:
The quest for the holy grail of correct Java concurrency code has ended with this book.

As much as I enjoyed Doug Lea's book, this one is far superior in that it covers the modern approaches to concurrency.

My recommendation would be to get both Brian's and Doug's books, but start with Brian's book, since you will find it more digestible.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 28, 2006 12:56:14 PM PDT
When will this book be available?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 30, 2006 3:03:52 PM PDT
At JavaOne, which is May 16-19, 2006, Moscone Center, San Francisco. Presumably Amazon will have it shortly thereafter.

In reply to an earlier post on May 12, 2006 8:57:01 PM PDT
I pre-ordered this book in December 2005 and was wondering when will it be shipped. Joshua I thoroughly enjoy your columns. Thanks for keeping us informed.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 22, 2006 10:50:54 PM PDT
I am aware of Joshua's Bloch's books (which are superb of course), but not of the columns you refer to. Where do you read them?
Thanks,
sb
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  6
Total posts:  7
Initial post:  Mar 21, 2006
Latest post:  Aug 22, 2006

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Java Concurrency in Practice
Java Concurrency in Practice by Brian Goetz (Paperback - May 19, 2006)
4.7 out of 5 stars   (120)