Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Segway miniPro

VINE VOICEon October 14, 2009
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I have been a hands-on landlord for 17 years and a specialty real estate lawyer for 11 years. It is from this perspective that I review "Leases & Rental Agreements".

If you are a new landlord or contemplating becoming a landlord, this is a good book to read and own.

Chapter 2: The lease agreements, written for a nationwide audience, are basic but a good start. I do like the way the authors break down each lease paragraph and explain the logic behind the language.

Chapter 3: Choosing Tenants: Your Most Important Decision. This chapter is well written and contains great information. My only complaint is that it only explains credit reports and doesn't give other options if the landlord is unable to obtain a credit report because the landlord can't qualify to pull credit reports. A paragraph or two on "social security traces" should have been included in this chapter.

Chapter 4: Getting the Tenant Moved in: Excellent & useful chapter.

Chapter 5: Changing or Ending a Tenancy: Excellent & useful chapter.

Appenix A: State Landlord-Tenant Law Charts: Nice information to compile into one book, but keep in mind that laws are not static. Be sure to keep yourself updated on your state & local landlord/tenant laws & case law. A good landlord's organization will be helpful in this area.

Appendix B: How to Use the Landlord Rental Forms/CD-ROM - not sure why this chapter is in the book since most people know how to open files that are on a CD

Appendix C: Tear Out Landlord Forms: Some forms are useful and some just are not practical at all. The forms are generally ok. The lead paint form & brochure are federal forms and available on-line in a pdf format. My biggest complaint is about the Rental Application Form. The rental application form is the form that you will use the most, and, at 5 pages long, it is just not practical to hand out to prospective tenants. Your local landlord organization is also a helpful resource for landlord forms.

All in all, this is a very good book for a new landlord or a landlord to be. I recommend the book mostly because it explains the language in the lease paragraphs & tells you why they are important. I cannot recommend all of the forms.
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I own a four plex in New Orleans. It's the first rental property I've owned, so I've had to get up-to-speed with contracts, tenants rights, landlord rights and the rest very quickly. I had been jumping around on the internet trying to piece together a coherent rental management strategy, but the information on so many sites is incomplete, geared towards the laws in other states, or just plain wrong. I have muddled through for over a year, but one particularly bad experience with a deadbeat renter made me realize that I have to step-up my game.

I am so glad I found this book, it is exactly what I've needed! It takes you through the things you should know and even breaks down certain things, like deposit laws and required landlord disclosures by state. Deposit laws and disclosures are a good example of things that I previously didn't realize I am required by law to handle in a certain way.

The book is straight-forward and well-organized. It's written in a "just-the-facts, ma'am" way that gets to the core of the issue without a lot of chatter. A CD is included with boilerplate contracts and forms and the book gives you clear instructions about how and when to use each document. If you lose the CD, the book includes "tear-out" versions of each of the documents on the disc as a back-up.

Leases & Rental Agreements stops short of any discussion of how to evict a tenant, but that's a separate issue and NOLO has an entire book on just that subject. Unfortunately, the eviction book is just for California Every Landlord's Legal Guide so it won't help me in New Orleans.

I couldn't be happier with this great resource.

PS - It always makes my day to know that people find these reviews helpful. I usually respond to comments the same day, so if you have a question or comment (even if it's just to say, Hi!") feel free to post it below.

Thanks, Claire
on June 11, 2007
I actually thought I was purchasing the software which would have typed up many of the sections for me - which would have been nice, but I was very impressed with how well organized and informative the book is.

Many items include the actual state laws regarding rental property which is very helpful because many of the websites are not easy to navigate.
on April 24, 2001
Leases & Rental Agreements provides owners of real estate with a quick do-it-yourself handbook for renting out a property, including tear-out legal forms and tips on preparing different types of rental or lease agreements. From making disclosures on hazards to complying with laws covering security deposits and privacy, this provides all the details necessary.
on October 30, 2006
I will be a first time landlord and have done alot of research online as well as other books and had continued to come up short as far as detailed explanations and suggestions. This book is it! It has literally everything you need and is extremely thorough. I borrowed it from the library and have come here to purchase it. I can't do without out it.
VINE VOICEon October 15, 2009
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
As a rental property owner, and a REALTOR who often helps answer questions for my clients when it comes to property ownership, I thought this would be a useful book. It turns out I was correct.

One of the things that impressed me the most was the state by state information regarding state statutes and Landlord Tenant law. It's easy to see what is the maximum security deposit you can charge, when the deposit needs to be returned, and other items that you need to know.

The book goes through finding a tenant, with applications and references forms, as well as the actual lease. They have a chapter that walks you step by step through the clauses of the lease, tells you why they are there, and how to fill them in. They provide blank forms that you can fill in, as well as a CD with the forms included.

Living in Alaska this isn't much use to me, but all the forms are in an English and Spanish version (I'm sure this is very helpful in some of the Lower 48 states).

I have a lease I've been using for quite a while, but I used this book to add some clauses and to reword clauses I was already using. We just had a new tenant move in, and I'm happy to know my updated lease is good quality and full of the legal clauses that we need to protect ourselves.
on September 3, 2003
I was very satisfied with this book. It was so comprehensive and easy to read -- even for a non-business-oriented, non-real estate-trained person like me. There are examples, thorough explanations, form examples, and perforated, blank forms.
I think this book is must-have for every landlord or recommended for those thinking of becoming a property mgr. or landlord.
VINE VOICEon October 15, 2009
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is a helpful compilation of information for "landlords." You can probably find a lot of it on the internet, but this book makes it easy and guarantees accuracy. There is information specific for different states, too, since state laws vary so much.

This is especially helpful for my situation -- I bought a new house before selling the old one just before the market tanked. I got stuck with the old one and rented it out. I had never been a landlord before, and didn't have much time to put into learning the ropes. This will make things much easier for me!
on November 1, 2009
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This reference guide is an easy tool to use. The book has sample forms (in the book and on a CD-ROM) to get you started in customizing your own lease/rental agreement that complies with laws in the state you reside in. Writing my own leases from scratch was the most difficult part to have ready before renting to a tenant. The forms in the book are thorough and easy to adjust. It includes a landlord-tenant checklist that inventories the condition of the rental property at the time of occupancy. This is important documentation to have when the tenant moves out and you must return the deposit. It's a great guide for any landlord new to renting and for those who just want to be sure they are in compliance legally.

With the way information becomes rapidly outdated, I especially like the free legal updates that Nola will provide. How much better can it get?
on June 21, 2013
This book is a toolbox. It’s what I hoped to have when I bought The Rental Property Manager’s Toolbox I’ve now thrown into my recycle bin hoping the paper might find more productive use. The title suggests that it offers only forms, but it tells the reasoning behind the forms and gives down to earth reasonable advice on how to deal with tenants in the event of their not complying and how to use the forms to select tenants least likely to fail to comply. That “toolbox” doesn’t provide a lease, the form a landlord is most likely to need, but this one provides that and all other essential on a CD in PDF format and RTF format you can import directly into Word for editing. And it provides tables to tell you how to edit the lease and other forms to meet requirements particular to each of the fifty states. I expect this and Tax Guide for Rental Properties 2013 to be all the guidance I need to avoid foreseeable trouble. And I’m a first-time landlord with a four-apartment historic mansion and no attorney or accountant.