Published on May 8, 2011 by StevenWayne1206

3.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, but subject to a serious caveat
The good:

I was a little skeptical -- how can you not be? -- but this did live up to the hype: it really renewed my leather easy chair, with no odor, and not all that much work (I used a regular paint brush rather than a rag, which saved me lots of time). So it definitely works, and works well.

The not-so-good, perhaps, depending on your tastes and...
Published on April 14, 2011 by Village Idiot Savant

5.0 out of 5 stars Used it on five products, and now going to buy more used leather!, May 8, 2011
This review is from: Leather Honey Leather Conditioner, the Best Leather Conditioner Since 1968, 16 Oz Bottle. (Automotive)
Leather Honey. I mean, who would have thunk it. This stuff, and there is an official website for Leather Honey, but it doesn't give much more information about it than here in the reviews... for instance, what is it? It's not honey, but it feels like honey. It's not a cleaner, as you have to clean the leather before using it (unscented, disposable baby wipes are touted by professionals, and guess what, they work fantastically!). It is a leather conditioner, ah, I see said the blind man.

I recently bought a few used leather items, a couple of Coach messenger bags, a jacket, etc., from eBay. They were in reasonable shape when I bought them, but just drizzling on some LH, which does feel thick like bee's honey but is perfectly clear, made the leather supple and natural and it felt great. I threw on two or three coats, and although I thought I overdid it with the last one, as the leather was very slippery feeling, like a snake's leathery skin, I just left it overnight and the honey was absorbed (or evaporated, I can't tell) and the bag was supple as a baby's buttocks. Even the LH website says it can;t be overused, but that the excess just needs to be wiped off. I use a dedicated rag for this job, and it is sort of oily on your hands and things, so get ready for that. I did it on my granite kitchen countertop, and it looked like an oily mess when I was done, but cleaned up well.

If your leather item is with scuff spots, like on the piping or the bottom or such, this will make it look "fixed" when it's wet, but once it dried, no dice. You'll need some leather dye to get that sort of thing out, which works fantastically, really, and I have written a review of that hereTandy Leather Fiebings Chocolate Brown Dye 4 oz 2100-02 (I don't know if I reviewed this color of not, but that Feibings stuff is good stuff).

So, if you really want to order a set of leather restoration stuff, right here and now, you'd get a 16 ouncer of this (I did about five items, twice each, and still have 1/3 of this bottle left), and a small bottle of Fieblings (sorry, I can;t help you with colors that you need, I'll just say the Feiblings runs darker than you;d think), and some disposable baby wipesCottonelle Fresh Folded Moist Wipes Tub 42, something like this with no scent and no shay butter or aloe (if you can get it that way, but aloe won;t hurt much), and you'd have the complete set of leather restoration products.

Thank you.

3.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, but subject to a serious caveat, April 14, 2011
The good:

The not-so-good, perhaps, depending on your tastes and expectations, and why I gave it three stars instead of four or five:

Caveat emptor, in a major way.

This *really* darkens the leather -- not just a little, but a *lot*. The original color may return with time, but right now my chair is *several* shades darker than it was. I don't mind, but I didn't expect it at all, and in fact the manufacturer hedges the point. So I do caution folks out there who might mind having their leather darkened considerably. Try it on a small patch of the item that won't be visible, if that's possible, such as under a chair. If it's not -- e.g., you're thinking of a briefcase, or something where all the leather is exposed -- this probably isn't for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars All these great reviews are NOT hype!, February 28, 2011
I know the seats in my wife and I's cars have likely been ignored since day 1. They're not abused and we don't have children, but the Mercedes is 16 years old, the Lexus 9. We plan on keeping both until we cannot stand looking at them any longer, and interior condition is a HUGE part of making it feel 'right'. I know for a fact, the second owner of the Mercedes, I'm #3, was both a slob and lazy about upkeep. I've wiped the Lexus's interior down a couple of times with leather 'wipes', but I've never treated them properly.

If you have one, you know leather vehicle interiors are not at all inexpensive to repair/replace, so it's in your best interest to keep them in good shape from the start rather than trying to save them as they deteriorate.

Before diving in, first was a test on my wallet, which I've carried for 4+ years in a back pocket. I have done positively nothing to as it pertains to leather care, other than I do my best to not let it get wet, i.e. drop it in the sink.

Cleaning and Leather Honey...wow! Just...WOW!

After a thorough cleaning with Lexol, to get the dirt out of the leather, I brushed on some Leather Honey. It has an odd feel to it...almost beeswaxy. It's not at all oily or slippery, like it appears. The next day, with my wallet feeling as if it were new...looks are another thing, but I don't care about look as much as feel...the cars were next.

I read about people expecting Leather Honey to 'heal' cracks and restore color. That's not what this is for, and it's not touted as such a product (which would be magic if it could, 'cause cracks are physical damage). Now, had it changed my wallet's leather from the color black to say, fuschia, I'd have an issue. This will not restore color to worn spots nor will it fix existing cracks. That's what dyes and repair guys are for.

The cars took some time, and I wish it were warmer so the Honey may be better absorbed into the leather, but I'll tell you what, the difference in feel is amazing. The seats in my wife's 9 year old Lexus weren't this soft when the car was two years old!

Now, be aware, this isn't a simple brush-on, wipe-off kinda thing. You've *gotta* follow directions, and I think it's better to apply too little rather than too much, as you can't really recover excess. If using a foam sponge as an applicator, you can squeeze excess out, however.

Tips: USE A LINT-FREE CLOTH! Heed the advice on the bottle! I thought the rag I was using wouldn't leave lint, but I'll be picking fuzz off the passenger's seat in my car for the next week. Applying with a foam sponge is perfect. Foam paintbrushes aren't sturdy enough, but the material is just right. I think removing with heavy-duty paper towels may be the way to go, too.

Get the 16 ounce bottle. It has no expiration date, and after you use it on a couple of items, you'll be surprised how many leather goods you have which you want to bring back to feeling new. I'm eyeballing our large L-shaped sofa, and while it'll be quite a bit of work, it'll be worth it.

Make certain you remove the excess a couple of times. I was tired and in a rush when I wiped down the 16 year old seats in my car, and I can see/feel I didn't remove all of the excess. It takes some arm strength, 'cause this stuff is quite viscous. My seats have a little bit of residue, but it's not oily, like I stated above, it's almost like wax. This is 100% my error. I should have taken more time. The good, no GREAT, thing is, a light leftover residue doesn't appear to stain clothes.

I parked my car in the sun, today, thinking maybe heat may help a bit of the excess soak into the leather. We'll see. In fact, I'll go check, now...

Nope, sunlight/heat (at least a nice late-February day in north Texas) doesn't help.

Let it soak in overnight, if possible. You can't rush it. Even with 16 year old car seats which have been in Texas their entire lives, a second coat is unnecessary. I might put a second on my wallet's exterior, just to see if there's a noticeable difference.

One other VERY important thing to remember. If you like 'slippery' leather, DO NOT USE THIS. It makes leather almost a bit 'tacky'. At least initially. After a few days of contact with clothes/skin, it feels pretty normal, but not dried-out and polished.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best leather conditioner that I have ever tried!, August 8, 2010
Ryan Pedigo (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
I can see why in 25 years they have not had a single complaint-- it's honestly that good. I have a lot of leather things, including wallets, shoes, and upholstery, and it has been working fabulously on all of them. You apply the leather honey to dry, clean leather (can be cleaned with gentle soap) and wait a few hours for it to be absorbed by the leather. My new Santoni shoes sucked up all the leather honey very quickly, but I waited the full two hours anyway. I have only used it on black leather, and it made the blacks deeper and less dried out, and am happy knowing that my leather is being well-cared for. This 16oz bottle seems like the best deal because the 8oz bottle is much more expensive per ounce when you factor in the shipping-- and it won't expire and you will eventually use it all. I look forward to using this leather conditioner for years to come! Thanks for a great product. The only way to make it better would be to have Amazon free Super Saver Shipping or be Amazon Prime eligible for free 2-day shipping.

10/22/2010: as of the initial writing of my review, they have rolled the shipping cost into the product cost and made the shipping free; with that adjustment, the 16oz is still the better deal (two 8oz bottles would be [...]). Still using this on my shoes and other leather goods with great results.

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing!, January 25, 2012
I purchase a gallon of this to condition a [once] super expensive aniline dyed glove leather sectional sofa. The original color was a light mauvy-flesh tone but the leather had faded and dried to 4 or 5 shades lighter in some areas. And it had become so dry I was afraid it would crack at the seams. Other products which were labeled 'cleaners and conditioners' did nothing more than remove some surface dirt and then dried up to nothing. Then I tried Leather Honey.

WOW! What a difference! I tested it on one small area of the sofa first and let it dry for about 10 days. It darkened the leather but not enough to really notice. The end result was admittedly darker but definitely more supple. There was no oily residue but some of the scratches and stains were still visible. Overall I was satisfied with the test.

So I held my breath and took the plunge. I purchased a small paint roller (non-foam) and started going to town. It took an entire day but I managed to put a good coat on every leather surface. It was shocking at first because it turned the leather almost black in seconds after I applied it. After I was done the sofa looked like it had been hosed down with dark brown paint. But it slowly dried and now it looks amazing! And best of all I have enough left over in the gallon jug to put a second coat on.

Beware! This WILL darken your leather. I'd say my sofa went from light beige to medium beige. But that was a good thing and it probably added 10 years to the life of it.

Be careful to apply it evenly. Forget about trying to rub it on with a cloth. !!!Use a fuzzy paint roller!!! It will go on much faster and will cut your work time down to minutes rather than hours.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, January 15, 2012
I applied Leather Honey to my leather ottoman. I cleaned it with Murphy's Oil Soap, as they advise. When it dried, I used a paintbrush to cover the ottoman with Leather Honey. The next morning, I wiped it thoroughly. Though it is not sticky, it has big splotchy discolorations all over it. I contacted them twice for advice and never received a reply. Their website says they have "never received a complaint." I know why--they ignore them.

1.0 out of 5 stars Ruined my brown leather, November 26, 2011
amofpers (Santa Fe, NM) - See all my reviews
Be extra careful with brown leather. It forever ruined my favorite brown leather and I am very frustrated. It does not apply evenly and darkens the leather significantly. This is ridiculous!! If anybody knows how to get it out or lighten the leather please contact me.

1.0 out of 5 stars Conditions leather but at a price, January 28, 2012
This does condition leather, but at a price. As others have said it darkens leather but that is the least of my concerns. First of all I found it very difficult to apply. The directions say to use a brush or lint free cloth and it applies easier if warm. So, I warmed it and broke out my lint free cloth. Even though the leather honey was warmed it was still like applying, well thick honey to my furniture. It did not go on easy at all and was super sticky. It took me forever to apply to the entire couch and in the end it actually started to collect dust and dirt particles making the couch a mess. I could see how this might be a useful product for very small projects but do NOT use for furniture. It is extremely hard to apply, makes your furniture sticky and dirty and takes forever. I only used my 16 oz bottle once before I threw the rest away, it was that bad.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good stuff, but not for Autos., July 2, 2011
DSO (San Jose, CA) - See all my reviews
I'm sure this product works spectacularly on traditional leather items. However as times have changed and leather processes have changed I would say that this product is probably not the product you want to use in your newer automobile. Go to any new car dealership and you will notice that the leather has a nice matte finish in it that keeps the seat nice, comfortable, and smooth. After application of Leather Honey on my car's interior and even after wiping it off, it made the leather a little bit shinier and more sticky. Really not the effect I wanted.

I'm sure it restores the life of other types of leather, but be careful on use in your newer automobile.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worked great on Natuzzi sofa, May 14, 2011
I used this on my black Natuzzi sofa. The sofa is about 5 years, and in good shape, but definitely didn't look as good as it did new. I was a bit worried about damaging the sofa, but this conditioner worked very well. The leather no longer looks dry; it looks slightly moist/shiny. I was also worried that the leather would become too shiny or would become sticky. Happily, neither of these things happened. I applied it with a cloth, and after it dried (2 hours), there was no excess to wipe off. I felt like I was applying a lot, but I was surprised that I only used about half of the 16 oz bottle. I couldn't be happier--the sofa now looks new. I highly recommend this leather conditioner.

$49.95 $28.95