on October 8, 2012
Verified Purchase
I was worried about this product because there was only one review, (albeit a very good one) and it was cheaper than a few others out there. But I am very pleased with it. It looks nice, it's much lighter than I expected, the keyboard is smaller (which is expected) but easy to get used to. There are two slots for the cable and a stylus, and even though the slots are very small, if your stylus has a clippy part, it can easily clip on. I also like how secure the nexus seems in the case.

Only things I wished it also had was the automatic turn on/off function that some cases have and a button clasp as opposed to a magnetic one because those make me feel like it's more secure. It also doesn't connect through bluetooth so it uses up the mini usb hub.

But those functions weren't listed as part of its description, and really just personal preferences, so all in all... good product!
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 26, 2012
Verified Purchase
This keyboard worked immediately without any bugs nor need to install an application. Although I feel that I got a bargain, a few things began to annoy me after a couple days of use.

1. the power and volume buttons on the nexus 7 end up in awkward to reach positions when the tablet is mounted (no matter how you mount it).

2. you must press relatively hard on the buttons for a response compared to a typical keyboard (takes getting used to).

3. the size of the keyboard means you cant type well without looking at the keys.

4. the tablet is held in case/keyboard stands at an angle that is not the most comfortable for viewing. I would do better with a more laptop like angle.

5. I really though I would not mind the fact that this keyboard shared a microUSB port with the power cable. After getting the tablet, I realized I was wrong.

Even with all these annoyances, I would not pay 60$ for some of the tablet keyboards and cases available.
Verified Purchase
First of all, I received the item in just a few days, which was MUCH faster than the arrival date shown when I ordered it.
But the main thing I want to say about it is the remarkable quality for the price. I'm using it to type this review and the keyboard is amazingly high quality. And I've been in the computer industry for over 45 years, so I've used a few keyboards. Obviously it's smaller than a full sized keyboard, but it's infinitely better than the onscreen keyboard.
The case is very well made - my Nexus 7 fits very securely.
Would highly recommend this case to others.
on November 29, 2012
Verified Purchase
You might be thinking to yourself: "A _wired_ keyboard? How janky is that?" But actually it's not so bad! It means you don't have to charge the keyboard, and you don't have to fuss with pairing, or deal with dropouts or interference issues -- you just plug it in and it's ready to go, thanks to the N7's good USB host mode support. The keyboard itself is less bulky than comparable Bluetooth units. It _does_ mean you have to unplug the keyboard to charge the tablet. Also, you have a wire hanging around looking cheesy. (They try their best to make it a well sized, stylish wire.)

Like many other tablet keyboards, this is a soft folio case. That means that unlike a laptop, it doesn't have a stiff hinge to hold the screen at your preferred angle -- that hinge is floppy (faux) leather stuff. Instead, there is a little kickstand to prop up the screen. It holds it to one specific angle -- hope you like that angle. Using this on your lap (in bed, on a couch, ...) is workable, but a little fiddly. The spring clamp mechanism used to hold the tablet in place works quite nicely, and makes it a cinch to install or remove the tablet (you also have to hook up the wire of course). Other folio cases envelop the tablet in material, making it a lot harder to swap in and out.

The keyboard itself is O.K.. It's small of course! That's what you wanted, right? Something the size of your N7, not the size of a full blown laptop? But some people are surprised by that. I haven't had any issues with sticking keys or keys falling off, not yet at least. The keys are flat square wodges of plastic, not quite as nice as some other mini keyboards. For me that means an increasing error rate while I acclimate to the keyboard.

The keyboard was obviously _not_ designed with Android in mind. There's a whole row wasted on useless F1-F10, PrtSc/SysRq, etc. keys that do nothing on Android. Meanwhile there are no Android specific home/search/menu keys. Otherwise, it does have the keys you'd want (Alt, Tab, etc). The quote key is in a super stupid place next to the spacebar and I keep tripping over that.

That all said, of the many N7 keyboards I've tried, this is my favorite so far, despite its flaws.

Wrap up:
- Wired keyboard has pros and cons.
- Soft folio case isn't quite as handy as a laptop hinge.
- Keyboard itself is of middling quality, and not Android-optimized.
on December 21, 2012
Verified Purchase
Because of the storage location of the micro USB plug and how the case folds, it put excessive pressure on my screen and cracked it. The case that was supposed to protect my tablet actually destroyed it. When I first got the case I was a little concerned about the plug location and how the case folded. I should have trusted my intuition.

The tablet was fine when I put it back into the case in the car before walking into work. I folded the case shut and walked into the office. At no time was the device subjected to any stresses other than simply being carried in my hand. When I opened the case at my desk, the screen was shattered. The vertex of all the radial lines traced precisely to where the micro USB plug was stored. By refolding the case shut I could see that if it wasn't closed just right, the plug would leverage itself between the spine and the tablet screen.

In this day and age, I don't expect the manufacturer will make good on the cost of my Nexus 7, but I'll definitely be returning the case and will expect a full refund. Caveat emptor not only for this case but for a manufacturer that would let this get past design and testing.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 14, 2012
Verified Purchase
I really do like this product despite a few minor issues. I do recommend the product. It's a great price too!

PROS:
-It has a plastic clip which actually holds the tablet it really well.
-The keyboard works awesome. Feels responsive when you type and isn't too heavy. Getting used to the small size of it isn't too much of an adjustment either.
-The kickstand on the back works great. You can press against the tablet and not have to worry about it collapsing.
-Has two (what I assume to be) stylus holders in the spine.

CONS:
-The faux leather seems really...cheap. It is padded but it doesn't feel nice to hold.
-The magnet clip is not as strong as I think it should be. Makes me fear it will unbutton itself.
-There is no place to put the microUSB cord for the keyboard. I have to make sure it is in the spine when I fold it up so that it doesn't sandwich itself between the keyboard and screen.
on December 14, 2012
Verified Purchase
The keyboard is terrible. Even with a light typing touch it adds extra key strokes and is basically worthless. I don't use the keyboard, so basically have a heavy case for my Nexus Tablet.
on December 10, 2012
Verified Purchase
The price point is hard to beat for a durable case and a sturdy, tactile keyboard. I feel it would protect the Nexus nicely, especially with a screen protector to keep the keys off the screen when closed.

Unfortunately, the keyboard is too small for full-fingered typists. I frequently hit multiple keys, and it's hard to find the home row and float there without all of my fingers touching. Also, rather than remove keys, the company shrank and moved keys to make everything fit the smaller form factor. Unfortunately that means a reduced space bar (which my right thumb always misses) and a moved shift key (which my right pinky always misses).

I also don't trust the USB plug. The thin ribbon cable and the way the plug sticks out from the side could easily become damaged while traveling in a bag. At the very least, the plug should be molded for 90° connection to reduce the chances of stresses and bending.

Finally, it's hard to use as an e-reader without just taking the tablet out of the case. It makes it too bulky, and you'd have to unplug the keyboard every time. If you're planning on doing a lot more typing than reading, I would just spring for a netbook instead. Otherwise you're going to be removing the Nexus from the case constantly.
on November 24, 2012
Verified Purchase
while the case itself fits the nexus 7 beautifully, the design is suspect. This is a hook up via the mini usb cable connection, and the connection does not seem to be designed to be moved around much. i think as designed the cable will come loose from the connection to the keyboard and rendering it useless after moving it around (like you would have to do naturally to charge the tablet) mine stopped working in a week. (i think its just a matter of a wire being connected to a circuit board and probably easy to fix and make better, but the design of this thing makes that hard to do without tearing the thing up, and who wants to go thru all that mess anyway?)
on November 25, 2012
Verified Purchase
Pros:
1) Easy to connect using microUSB cord. Don't have to mess with Bluetooth, which can be erratic and takes time to set up each time.
2) Folds into nice compact cover.
3) Stand works well for viewing at an angle

Cons:
1) The keyboard is too narrow for me to touch type. However, I still find hunting and pecking on the keyboard is quicker than typing on the Nexus 7 screen.

Overall, it's a good value.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations