Leatherman 64010103K Micra Multitool
Color Name: GrayChange
Price:$22.73 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on September 13, 2005
Color Name: GrayVerified Purchase
I recently ordered the Leatherman Wave for my toolkit and received this little beauty for free as part of a promotion. I had never seen this item and certainly would not have purchased on its own. For that matter, upon receiving it I simply tossed it in my desk thinking it was along the lines of those little marketing pocket knives that companies give out at conferences. Boy, was I wrong.

I happened to grab tool one day when I couldn't find a wire cutter I thought had in my desk. I needed to snip a couple of wires and didn't want to go to get my toolbox so I thought I'd give this a shot - I'm glad I did. Not only did the scissors easily cut the wires, I ended up using it to strip the wires and re-attach everything with the screwdriver. After that, the tool immediately replaced the mini pocket knife on my keychain.

This unit is so small and unobtrusive that I don't even notice it on my keychain yet it does so much more than the knife I carried. The scissors are great - no, they aren't going to replace your Fiskars for paper cutting but they are sharp and sturdy and have done a great job on every thing I've cut with them.

Both the scissors and the knife blade hold their edge and sharpen very well and that from a guy who is not very skilled at knife sharpening. I have used both edges repeatedly for months and have only had to do minor re-sharpening on each twice.

I was a little upset that the tool did not include a Phillips head but the flat Phillips it does include has worked perfectly on every Phillips screw I've tried it on. Both the Phillips and the slotted blades are sturdy and the handle arrangement makes them very easy to use - even in tight situations.

I use this little beauty every day and am very happy I stumbled across it. It is very surprising how useful it is given its size. I've used this one hundreds of times while the Wave that I ordered has only been used once or twice. Despite that, I'm glad I bought the Wave - otherwise I would have never found this tool.

In response to another comment, no you can not take this on a plane (on your person or in your carry on) but you can stow it in your checked baggage. I hope I never forget to check this because I would hate to give it up to security. Just in case, I ordered a 2nd one as a backup.

Great little tool!
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 10, 2005
Color Name: GrayVerified Purchase
As a business traveler I learned early on to cut down on excess baggage. I use a moneyclip that holds my license and a few cards, I carry the Fisher Space Pen, and when not flying, I carry this. 3 things that take up so little pocket space that they feel nonexistant until the moment you need them. As a side note, carrying your money in your front pocket is not only harder to pick, it makes sitting more comfortable and many "Dockers" style pants have zippers now on the front pocket.

I've used several other micro-multis that I've bought or received as a gift. They are all sitting around in drawers. In fact, I lost one of these and bought the same thing to replace it when I have probably $150 worth of optional stand-ins. It's that good.

Obviously, there are tradeoffs between size, weight, robustness and functionality for multis, so YMMV. The SOG and other 4-tool style ones are well built, but don't offer many functions. The Schrage has the tools, but the size is a little much. The Gerber "lipstick" model is too bulky and has only a few tools, even if it's very solid. After carrying (and using!) at least 10 models from other companies, this became my favorite and I don't use any tools that aren't quality and I don't give out 5's without any reason.

This thing is tiny, but not fragile and still fits your hand. Fits in the pocket without you realizing it's there, has a great "hand" as a tailor would say and doesn't cut into your palm (although you really aren't cranking or applying a great deal of pressure when using the small scissors).

All blades are sharp and all of the components useful. I've found that in this form factor that pliers are generally useless. You need a larger multi in order to apply any real pressure, and the less surface area, the easier it is to strip something. Plus, for the most part, you don't need to crank out bolts every day. While, this set of tools will come in handy almost every single day. I carry it instead of a pocket knife now.

Buy one now and don't look back.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Color Name: GrayVerified Purchase
I was surprised when I got this tool. It's very well constructed and even after reading the reviews praising it I was still impressed with its sturdiness. The Micra folds up to under 2 inches and half inch across and you can put it on your keychain. I carry it in my purse on a loop as its small but a little heavy for the already crowded car keys. It has already proven useful so many times that I think it's the best thing I got myself this year! That is just as well, I probably wouldn't have received it as a gift as no one ever gifts things like this to women...

I recommend this tool for everyone - men and women alike. Buy it as a gift too, especially if you like to give gifts that are useful and will never be given away. This tool does not look impressive at first sight, especially concealed inside the clear package. Chances are you won't hear effusive thankyou's when you first give it to someone, if they don't know Leatherman. But they'll be impressed when they take it out of the package and then a week or so later they'll come singing its praises. The Leatherman has a 25 yr warranty on this tool which alone speaks of the quality.

The plier like scissors are very sharp and cut through thin wire easily. The knife and bottle opener are also very useful. I found a neat use for the mini tweezer. Something fell into my laptop keyboard and a key started to stick, the tweezer was the only thing thin enough to slide in there and lift it out. The small screw drivers are flat head but can be used on Philips head screws too. The smallest screw driver saved the day during a vacation, as I used it to fix my friend's eyeglasses. Without this tool we would have had a hard time getting his glasses repaired in the middle of nowhere! I haven't used the file yet but it will come in handy some time. It's neat that I can have all this in a very compact package in my purse, and it's smaller than a tube of lipstick. Nothing beats having all these tools on hand all the time, people do a double take when I hand it to them out of my little purse!!
Color Name: Gray
I've been the happy owner of a Leatherman Micra Multitool for over a dozen years now, and can easily say that this is one of the handiest gadgets that I've owned. Mine is the original version, the classic 100% stainless steel model, a bit scratched now, but every bit as good as it was the day I got it. There are newer versions, some with aluminum handles and others with an assortment of colored thermal plastic coatings, such as the Leatherman 64250103K Micra Clad with Green Polycarbonate Handles. Whichever one you pick, you're getting a proven pocket multi-tool that will offer you years of great service.

This small multi-tool opens up to expose the spring-loaded scissors (see the photos). The right handle has a small inch/metric ruler, and encases the clip-point knife blade, a medium flat blade screwdriver, and a nail file with a nail cleaner tip. The left handle holds a bottle opener, an extra-small flat blade screwdriver, tweezers, and a flat Phillips screwdriver blade. A lanyard (keychain) attachment is on the base of this handle. I have mine attached to a Micro LED Clear Keychain Light, a handy combination for just about anything.

The scissors are quite sharp, and I've only had to sharpen them once after using them to cut and strip some wires in an emergency condition dealing with a large midrange computer that had gone down. They have been used to cut everything from paper to bandages to gasket material to plastic... the list could go on and on. The various "blades" have proven to be quite useful over the years. The nail file is surprisingly good. The tweezers have come in handy for holding small items, removing splinters from my son's finger and even a small piece of broken glass from mine. Most recently the Phillips blade was used to tighten a screw in my glasses when the lens fell out in the woods.

As with any small multi-tool, one must be careful to use it in a firm but gentle manner as to not bend its components beyond its real limits. I've held the handle of the Micra at 90 degrees to give it some extra torque when when loosening and tightening screws, but be very careful to not force it. Gentle but firm is the point to remember.

Another interesting point is that the Micra has been the subject of some interesting DIY projects. Just see the photos for examples.

For those who prefer a pocket multi-tool with pliers over scissors, there's the Leatherman Squirt P4 Multitool with Small Pliers, which is also available in a variety of colors. Also quite worthy of consideration is the reasonably-priced Gerber Clutch Mini Pliers Tool, an exceptionally good pocket multi-tool that is also supplied in an array of colors.

Whichever one you choose, remember that these are small, pocketable multi-tools, better suited to be on a lanyard or keyring that in a belt pouch or case. Their true versatility comes from the fact that they are so small, compact and handy. They're still made in the USA, and all Leatherman products are covered by a 25-year limited warranty. It makes an excellent gift for just about anyone, as so many others have noted.

And no, there's no sheath required with this one.
review image review image review image review image
on December 12, 2012
Color Name: Gray
I've owned Leatherman Micras, Squirts, Waves, and half dozen swiss army knives over the last 15 years. The Micra is a true classic, by far the best small multi-tool and probably the best multi-tool period.

The first thing to understand about the Micra is that it's centered around scissors instead of pliers. This is the right choice. Pliers simply aren't useful at this size. On the other hand these scissors are remarkably good - not good for their size - they are simply good. Because they're designed be compact the blades are narrower than standalone scissors, even small ones. This makes them uniquely useful for small tasks (I've cut my fingernails with nothing else for 15 years). The spring action is smooth and reliable. Given how often you need to cut things, and how useless the foldout swiss army type scissors are you'll quickly come to appreciate the choice of scissors over pliers.

Next, you have the choices of all the other tools and their attention to detail. They nailed the screwdrivers - no it doesn't have a true phillips, it won't fit, but don't underestimate the flat philips. I've succeeded with this flat phillips where a "real" one let me down. It's size is well chosen to work in multiple sizes of phillips screws. The small screwdriver is excellent and will get you into all but the smallest screws (even small philips sometimes).

The tweezers, file and bottle opener are standards and well executed here. Having attached tweezers instead of the removeable swiss army ones is generally good. They can't get lost. As a great bonus there is a small metric and english ruler included.

Finally the knife; there is nothing particularly special about the knife itself, however if you close the tool back up you'll realize that the knife is locked - it can't snap closed on your fingers. Some people complain because it's not accessible from the "outside" but safety is the advantage of it being on the inside. Personally I think this is a huge advantage.

Amazingly these tools fit together into a useable whole. Unlike larger multi-tools whose size make them laughably cumbersome for many uses the Micra is sized perfectly for tools that are in it. If you've actually tried you use the small screwdriver or tiny scissors stuffed into a larger leatherman you'll appreciate the small body of this one. The small size isn't always a compromise, it's often an advantage. It's also incredibly flexible. When using the screwdrivers you can snap the body open straight giving you 6" of reach and a narrow shape for turning in your fingertips. If you stare at it further you'll appreciate the simple reliable mechanisms that snap the scissors in place, how the size of the metal pieces were chosen to mark the end of the second inch and beginning of the 3rd on the ruler, and how the scissors can be snapped out and used with one hand.

The final measure of a tool like this is how often do you use it, how often do you use it even when "real" tools are nearby, and how often do you drop a real tool and pick up this because it's actually better? Simply put, the answer for this tool is often. Competitors? Not as much.

Swiss army knives are useless. Enough said. Consider them only as christmas presents for people you don't like. Large Leatherman's, I've had a Wave for 10 years, have great pliers but are to be avoided for almost any other use. Yes, when I'm hiking and know I'll have nothing else I want the Wave on hand, but in regular life it just doesn't get touched.

The Micra on the other hand has a great choice of tools and puts them in a package that doesn't hinder their use. It can do the things you need most and it can do them well. Few other tools compare. In my opinion it's an everyday masterpiece.

Further Comments:
The one downside to the Micra, similar to other leatherman is rust. As you should know, stainless steel is a relative term and there are lots of variants. The variant used here doesn't resist rust very well. Don't put it away wet. That said rust usually doesn't go deep although I still find it disappointing. Also, don't be tempted by colors, get the plain stainless version. The coatings add nothing and can only wear off and leave the tool looking worse.

Also if you find yourself using and losing these as much as I do it can get expensive. Consider the used market which has many available for cheap (confiscated airport security knives have to go somewhere).
on May 30, 2005
Color Name: Gray
What can I say of something that I find is so invaluable that I never put it away. The Leatherman Micra is an incredibly useful little tool for the home. It folds to less than three inches in length, is made from high quality stainless steel and costs less than $30. Unlike other pocket multi tools, this is not a gadget. Each of the attachments on the Micra actually works and the thing is incredibly sturdy. I've owned mine for three years now and it's as good as the day I bought it, with no warping or damage due to constant use. In particular, I frequently use the screw driver heads. I recently even used the blade when I was caught up a ladder and needed to strip some wires.

Its small size makes it useful to pack for travel too. I usually pack a medical kit for long travels and the scissors & tweezers on this device make it a perfect addition. And it opens bottles of beer! Though be warned that you'd have to pack it in your check in items if you don't want it confiscated when flying.
on November 8, 2006
Color Name: Gray
I used both the Micra and the Squirt. Right now I have the Squirt attached to my keys for about 3 years and it is still going strong. I have the "S4" version with the scissors instead of pliers. When I saw that someone said the Micra was a better value, I had to come to the defense of the Squirt. Take it from someone who knows, the Squirt far surpasses the value of the Micra. I had gone through 2 Micras before I found the Squirt.

--Scissors Spring--

Micra - After a month or two it was so gummed up that the scissors would stay shut and would not open on their own. This was the main reason I went through them so fast.

Squirt - Still springing after years, much more force behind this one.

--Scissors Grip--

Micra - When doing some serious cutting (or using the pliers), the sharp metal frame and tools will start to slice into your hand.

Squirt - Thicker frame to house the tools on the outside lessens so it will not hurt your hand.

--Paint--

Micra - Start to flake and chip off after a month or so. (If you had to get one, get the stainless steel finish)

Squirt - Storm gray paint has scratched off but no big flakes like the Micra. The paint is bound to go through some serious wear and tear when on a keychain so some scratches are to be expected.

--Size--

Micra - Small

Squirt - Smaller

If you were thinking of getting the Micra, spend the extra 5 bucks and get a knife that is 5 times better.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 11, 2007
Color Name: GrayVerified Purchase
I needed the scissors. Could never find a pair at work when I needed them and was always whipping out my big knife to try and cut things with. I've got the big multitool too by Gerber, the switch pliers, which I absolutely love and use it alot as well. But this little guy fits. It fits my pants, it fits for cutting, slicing, and cleaning my fingernails. And the tweezers have been incredibly handy. The knife blade; I chuckled when I first saw how small it is, but the joke was on me, this little blade is sharp and so far has stood up to boxes at work better than my pocketblade, which I've begun to carry less often not needing the extra weight in my pocket. I agree with some other reviewers in that it would be nice if the tools opened out from the side while closed, but it's well worth the inconvience using this little guy. The price is right, and the tool if you get it, you'll wonder how you ever managed to live without it.
on January 6, 2006
Color Name: Gray
This was actually an amazing find - literally! I found this amazing tool about two years ago on the street. I have a modest collection of specialty items and this one was my favorite. I'll explain what I mean by 'was my favorite' in a moment. In any event, since finding this little gem, I was never without it. Initially, I carried it with along with my Spyderco C11BK Delica. As a result on heightened security awareness, I was not able to carry my Spyderco as easily hence my Micra became my sole accompaniment.

It is a well-constructed quality piece where form and function are unsurpassed. Its appearance and micro size exude precision as well as make it very attractive, unobtrusive and easy to carry. Inversely proportional to its size, it functions masterfully. I have used it at various times and have always been pleased with its ability to perform and its durability. Advertised as a personal care item, it performs equally as well for general purpose use. The knife and scissor blades hold their edge well and leverage is not a problem. The tweezers grip action is sure, and the ability to position the handle to provide more torque to the screwdriver blades is nothing short of insightful.

All-in-all, a well-designed tool which expands the owner's resources and enhances his/her capabilities.

Now as to what I meant by 'was my favorite', I recently had to abandon my Micra. While checking-in at Logan Airport, I forgot that I had it with me and TSA security would not allow me through the gate with it. Having no time to return to my vehicle, I sadly had to abandon my Micra. Despite having made no initial monetary investment in acquiring my Micra, became quite attached to it and now feel naked without it - but not for long. I have just ordered a new one to replace my abandoned gem and I can assure you that TSA will never acquire this one as they had the previous.

Get one.
on April 16, 2007
Color Name: Gray
When I first saw this item in a store I was not impressed and wondered who would buy one. A friend gave me one for my birthday. Now I carry it in my pocket all of the time. Though small, it is more than adequate for most things. With this one tool I can open my desktop computer and change any component.

I have had to tap the scissors rivet with a ball peen hammer to tighten it up again after long use. The little eyelet for the lanyard does fold into the tool so it does not wear a hole in your pocket. The ruler on the back is a little harder to use than the ruler on the back of a Leatherman PST because the markings are often interrupeted by the works of the tool. The knife blade is small, but adequate for every need I have had.

All in all, it is one of the best things a person can put into his pocket.