5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome tool
Published on November 12, 2006 by MD Handyman

3.0 out of 5 stars Variations in sheath
Published on July 31, 2012 by Robert J. Wagner

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome tool, November 12, 2006
This review is from: Leatherman 830656 Wave with Leather Sheath and 6-Bit Set (Tools & Home Improvement)
I'm a handyman and this is the first Leatherman I've owned. I now feel naked without it. I use it every day. I recomend it to anyone who needs to be able to grab the most common tools without carrying a tool box around. Often I can walk into a situation, pull out my Leatherman and fix things on the spot. Most commonly used items: screwdrivers, pliers, knife and saw blades.

3.0 out of 5 stars Variations in sheath, July 31, 2012
Robert J. Wagner (Newburgh, IN United States) - See all my reviews
Leatherman Wave is a great tool. But note. I ordered one w/the sheath. The sheath with the 1st one was great - sleeve for the tool inserts, sleave for the extension. So I ordered another sheath as a backup. Should have been exactly the same as the 1st, but it came w/no bit sleave or exrension sleave. I decided to get another Wave. I assumed the sheath would be the same as the 1st one. Wrong. The one that came with the knife had the sleave forthe bits, but the sleave for the extension is so loose I won't use it and expect the extension will just fall out w/moderate use/wearing. It is also so tight I can barely snap it shut. The newest one also doesn't have the perpendicular slots to wear it parallel to your belt like the 1st one does. Bottom line: Leatherman must be farming out the sheaths to a joint in China that can't make the same item the same way twice. Again, teh tool is great, but don't be surprised if you get a sheath that has feature missing or poor QC.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Tool Worth the Money %100 Percent, July 1, 2009
You really can't top this tool, it has everything! Leatherman really means quality. Pro Source shipped quickly. I ordered on Friday it came Wednesday the next week!

UPDATE July,14,09:
I have used it for a couple weeks now and never leave without. I can really speak to the quality knives because I just keep them as backups. However I used the saw and file they both work great. The saw it nice and aggressive but not overly so. The file has both a crosscut wood/plastic side and a smooth diamond metal file. BUT the pry bar broke prying a pine crate apart. I guess I pushed it a little much and need a POCKET WIDGY® PRY BAR. I'll send to Leatherman and have then fix it...hopeful...never tried before. BTW I saw one guy didn't get a bit kit with his. I did don't really use it but it's good to know it's there.
Update:

UPDATE December,19,10:
I found out that the tool I thought was a mini prybar is really a large flathead screwdriver. So I should have never used it for prying anyways. I never sent it back to Leatherman because I didn't want to part with it for any length of time! Many other friends on Youtube have reported excellent "no questions asked" warranty service. In August of this year I lost my original Wave during travel. I liked it so much I bought another one to replace it! I feel like I have used the knives enough that I can not way they are excellent. They come with the nice sharp grind that is easy to sharpen. The lock up tight and open and close with one hand. I carry a lot of things but if I could only take one thing it would be this tool.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good and practical; still some opportunity for improvement, April 26, 2009
hi, this is indeed a well designed tool, practical and compact. I am especially impressed by the quality of the blades, the saw and the files. The one hand access to the blades is a plus.

One aspect I feel can be further improved is the rust like stains on the body and the screw driver material. They seem to require oiling to prevent the tool from staining.....Else, it an excellent tool. The tool feels solid in your hands.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome. There is a bit of a learning curve., January 17, 2014
I have owned a Leatherman since the first generation came out maybe 20 years ago. While I still have that first Leatherman (and it's still in GREAT shape) I was in the market for another one to keep at my office. This Leatherman fits the bill and saves me from carrying hex keys, scissors, etc. This makes this tool very handy for I.T. people, who often need to perform a range of repair functions from disassembling a P.C. to setting up monitor stands to pulling out paper jammed in the shredder (for the 10th time! Jeez - don't folks get it that you shouldn't jam 40 sheets of paper into a machine meant for 5!!!)

It has a more comprehensive set of safety locks that took me some time to get used to. For example, the knife blades won't swing out unless you completely close the Leatherman. Once open, the blade is rigidly locked in place so it won't accidentally close on your fingers if you put some force behind it. Release pressure and press the safety, and the blades close smoothly.

The carrying sheath is hard core. This is heavy gauge leather and includes a handy-dandy holder for your bits.

You won't go boar hunting with them, but the blades are sharp and just the right size for a lot of ordinary tasks.

Overall this is now my go-to tool for most stuff around the office. Now if I can just convince TSA that I'm harmless and that this tool is an essential part of my gear when I travel...

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Tool, April 3, 2007
Bought this tool and I am very pleased with it. I use it while fishing, hunting and everyday use. What impressed me the mose was when I used it to cut thru a 1/8 inch screw. Knife blade sharpens up easy, though the tip seemed a little weak when it first arrived. The sheath is good enough, not excellent but good. The bits work well. All in all I see myself using this tool for a long, long time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, October 15, 2009
Bought five of these as groomsman gifts. They all love and use them. My other jerk friends are even more jealous that they weren't in my wedding! Jerks!

5.0 out of 5 stars Must have!!!!, February 15, 2014
What can I say? Well since the day I got my wave I can't put it down. I've been procrastinating on writing a review and it's been about 6 months since I got it. I use this tool every day. It's durable, compact and the blades keep a sharp edge. This is a must have in my book. Leatherman tools are usually on the more pricey side but the wave Is more reasonable and worth every penny. S & H was excellent, I placed my order and within just a couple of days it was in my mailbox.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fairly helpful, January 3, 2007
I keep this at my office and it's generally helpful working with small tasks here and there.

I'm not a handyman- so I'll use it for the occasional screw, opening packages and such. It's nice to have around. The blades are very sharp and the implements are all easy to reach.

The leather sheath is kind of cheap, but it gets the job done.

4.0 out of 5 stars genuinely useful, December 28, 2010
I saw the Wave when it was first released back in the '90's, just a few months after I bought my BuckTool. I probably would have bought it then if I'd seen it first. Couldn't justify buying both, but 20 years later, I finally broke the main blade on the BuckTool (my own fault) and decided it was time. I never liked the classic Leatherman design since it put thin metal edges against your hand when using the pliers, and the BuckTool design had a very good alternative to this. The Wave design is a decent second-place solution, though, with rolled handle edges in place of the plain edges. It's a much better feel when using the pliers in a serious way and a big improvement over the old design. Another appealing feature is the placement of the four major blades where they can be used without opening the entire tool. They lock, too, though the lock release can put your fingertips in harm's way if you are the inattentive sort. The screwdriver bits are good quality, but it will only hold one standard bit at a time. The others store in a plastic holder that slides into the sheath, but since the sheath is bulky I don't carry it (or the spare bits) with me. (The Wave also has built-in jeweler's-size bits.) The wire cutters seem to be of good quality (I wore out the Bucktool cutters early on), and have sections for hard and soft wire.

In addition to having only one full-size driver bit mounted at a time, the main downside for me is the angle of the grip when opened for pliers use. It's a wide angle and doesn't allow the best leverage for my rather short fingers. All in all, though, I consider it the best general-purpose multitool out there right now, and pretty close to the optimum for size and features.

Note that the sheath for this model is NOT leather as advertised, but is a leather/nylon combo.

Leatherman 830656 Wave with Leather Sheath and 6-Bit Set