Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Sixx AM Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Gifts for Mom to look and feel great Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing May4th

on January 4, 2014
This kit includes a lanyard loop and a pocket clip. They attach to my Wave in the same spot, so I can use one or the either. To be honest, the lanyard loop is pretty useless for me. The pocket clip on the other hand gets more use than the sheath that came with it. I use it to carry in my suit pocket or in my jeans when an unsightly sheath won't due. The clip is firm, and I can ever remember it falling off accidentally once you lock it into place. Even so, it's still easy to remove and add with a quick press of a button. While I don't use the lanyard loop since it attaches in the same spot I wouldn't expect any issues with it, if you use it. I have owned this for over a year now, and after seeing near daily use, it still operates the same as it did when I first used it.
review image review image review image
on December 30, 2014
I really like the purpose that this product serves, even if I wish it came with the Multi-tool in the first place. I have bought 3 of these over the last 3 years. Mostly using the Belt Clip. It works exactly as it should and can be attached and removed very easily from the tool.

My only issue that prevents me giving this a 5 star review is how thin the metal is where is curved from the attachment point. Each of my previous 2 orders have both ended int he same way, with the clip snapping off from where it is attached. It does not take much to do either, just having it catch on something as you sit or walk by.

Overall though, this does exactly what it says it will and pretty well at that. Keeps it out of the way and unobtrusive, unlike most sheaths. So even with the shortcoming, I still recommend it. Though if they ever do a re-design, some thicker or stronger metal would be welcome.
on March 7, 2006
I'm a bit surprised that the clip and ring aren't included with the Waves, but I guess that's the corporate mentality. These may not be value added for all users and they can turn it into a profit instead of increasing the base price of the multitool.

That said, in response to the other reviews, you don't want to oil the blades so they slip open at the slightest movement. That was the the problem most likely. The other problem is that the clip isn't meant to have the tool on your belt or exposed. It's supposed to go inside your pocket where it has a modicum of protection and the clip only allows it to ride at the top. It's not meant to carry the full weight outside of a pocket or on a belt. The pocket also provides protection of sorts from the blade opening inadvertantly.

I don't use the lanyard ring very often, but when I do, I enjoy the quick release feature. The ring itself is on the sharp and thin side, so over time, it could wear through a lanyard if you don't use a metal connector and just tie it off.

All-in-all, these are a nice compliment to the New Wave, and I recommend them since they aren't that expensive. They do what they are designed to do - if you buy them knowing that, you'll be satisfied.
22 comments|42 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 18, 2006
This clip is perfect if you'd like to keep your leatherman on you, but don't want to have it visible on your belt. The clip's grip is secure. Use it if you want to carry your leatherman with a "lower profile".

I don't use the lanyard ring, so no comment.
on December 21, 2009
First off, I don't or won't be using the lanyard ring (because, then I can't use the pocket clip (the tool I have (Leatherman wave) only has one slot for these quick release things, not sure if other Leatherman tools have more than one slot though), and because it already has a lanyard ring on the tool itself). Therefore, this is really only about the clip.

My fears about it coming out by itself were unfounded (I thought that when I went to use the tool, and pulled out something I needed, the clip might slip out of its place, which hasn't happened yet).

I'm very happy with this, personally, it got so I couldn't be bothered to put the belt case that came with my Leatherman on everyday, so I got this and now I just slip this in my pocket and I'm good to go. Just made the best tool I've ever had even better.
on November 21, 2015
Forst off: I only use the pocket clip, not the ring. The ring works, but I think that I've already misplaced it.

This is the kind of thing that needs to be included with the purchase of the knife, not as an extra purchase. It's only $5, sure, but for a large percentage of people the knife is a lot more handy with it than without it. I'd rather have this than the pouch that came with my knife. I realize the pouch is leatherman's "thing", but I'd rather have the clip included. The pouch just got tossed in a drawer.

With that out of the way, this clip attaches to the BOTTOM of the knife, which is a massive, massive design flaw in my opinion. Every knife I have ever carried in my pocket, be it just a single blade, a Leatherman Skeletool, or anything else going back over the years, has ALWAYS had the clip on the same end of the knife as the blade's hinge. I realize that this is something that Leatherman just can't do because of the way that the wave is designed, the clip has to go on the bottom, but that just comes off as poor planning.

Because the clip is on the other end, I have to re-learn how to pull my knife out without thinking about it. This takes up time, not very much, but reaching for my knife is no longer something that I can do without thinking about.

Okay, the positives:

This clip does install very easily. Takes a couple seconds, and it is secure. Sure, it installs on the wrong end, but I've already discussed that.

The clip is also made out of a nice thick metal. I don't expect it to bend or lose tension.

Overall, I'm happy the clip can be added to the knife at all, but I wish it were able to be added on to the right end.
on March 23, 2013
I use this with my Surge. I prefer pocket carry over a pouch any day, so this is perfect. Downside is, the way this clips into the Surge it leaves just a little space, so the clip can actually wiggle back and forth a little. Not bad, it still holds tight in the pocket, but just a minor annoyance that should have been fixed back on the drawing board.

I don't have a Wave to test it with, but I hear that wiggle is only with the Surge, and the wave doesn't do that.

Oh one other thing worth noting... On most pocket knives, the clip attaches on the same end of the handle as the blade hinge. This clip however only fits one way, and its on the opposite end from the blade. Picture it that when it's clipped into your pocket, the tip of the closed blade is pointing UP. Again, not really a problem, but drawing and opening the blade now involves an extra twist to spin the tool around to where your thumb needs to be.
on January 30, 2016
I EDC a Charge ALX and I have to replace this clip about once a year. Good thing is I hear it clatter on the floor and the Charge just slips deep into my pocket, then I know I'm out a few bucks to replace this disposable part.
on March 20, 2014
It may be quick-release but hey, it gets hung up on EVERYTHING, wow! Awesome! Especially if it gets hung up and you lose your $99 Leatherman tool over the ocean and it spends the rest of eternity in 15,000 feet of highly corrosive sea water, but hey, relax, the ice cold water highly corrosive sea water at 15,000 feet depth will preserve it for visiting aliens excavating our planet for signs of past civilizations in millennia to come! Or perhaps Davey Jones will find use for it? Perhaps King Neptune? Don't know who those cats are hipsters? Well pull out that iPad or smart phone and Google it, maybe you'll learn something today, for a change. Simply a lovely gift or accessorie! Yay!
on June 19, 2015
I want to preface this review by saying that I love this product. I carry my Wave daily and since I dress business casual for work this clip on my pocket looks much more professional than a leather sheath on my belt. The clip does a great job of holding the tool in place and I've never had one bend. They retain spring tension, even over years. The only reason it's getting four stars instead of five is that I've had to buy it three times now. It seems that about every couple years it just snaps. It almost always happens when I'm hunting or camping and it catches just wrong on something like a camp chair or a stump or a piece of wood when I'm sitting down or getting up. That said, I'd be hard-pressed to find a better way to spend 5 bucks.