Published on June 13, 2010 by B. Griggs

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice little knife
Published on January 11, 2009 by P

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Great Leatherman Product "Multitool that looks like a pocket knife", June 13, 2010
This review is from: Leatherman Expanse e33B Straight Blade Knife (Tools & Home Improvement)
As always high quality and sturdy feel from Leatherman. The 154cm blade is FANTASTIC! Very sharp out of the box and holds edge great. Best blade steel I've ever owned. The E33B is worth the extra $$ just for the blade. It has the same tools as Skeletool except for the pliers. It is also only slightly smaller than the Skeletool but longer if you have the carabiner out. This tool is definitely a little fatter than the average pocket knife (also a little fatter than the Skeletool but lighter). Very portable but you will know you have it on you. The blade and the carabiner both lock into place. The carabiner has to be pushed back straight into the handle to unlock it and then folded(no instructions for that). The screw driver snaps in place with a distinct click but can be folded back by just a good stiff push. The hidden compartment for the extra screwdriver bit is really nice. Comes with one double sided philips and one double sided flat bit. The belt clip is the only part that seems a little weak/flimsy it is removable if you have the tool for it. This is my 2nd favorite multitool next to my Skeletool CX. I got my E33B from Amazon for $40 and would highly recommend at that price. Leatherman made in the USA always a plus. Forgot to mention the "blade launcher". It sounds like assisted opening but is not. There's a bump protruding out of the back of the handle that is part of the blade. You run your finger over it to get the blade out / started. Still need a slight flick of the wrist to get the blade out completely most of the time even after practice.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice little knife, January 11, 2009
Why Leatherman would retire their k503x, I never will know. It impressed me so that I had a whole new respect for the company. Now they've come out with the Expanse series. I was so enamored with the k503x that I had to get one of these smaller versions. I was under the impression it would be smaller in size, yet similar in quality and well-crafted. It's a nice little knife. Although it in no way compares to the k503x in terms of quality. It has somewhat of a cheap feel to it. Having said that, I do find myself grabbing for it first thing in the morning to bring to work as my EDC. The blade size is far less threatening. I do like the liner lock.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nearly Perfect, January 24, 2010
I purchased this knife about a year ago and I am very pleased with it. It has maintained it's razor sharp edge thus far under daily use. No signs of rust as I have regularly gotten in other knives in the Florida humidity. The only two issues I have with this knife is that 1) the spare bit is pretty hard to get out of the handle, 2) it is hard to use the blade launcher without cutting yourself on the back edge of the knife handle (though the thumb stud is just as easy to use with a minor flip of the wrist). I would definitely recommend this knife to anyone, and works wonderful as a daily use pocket knife.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good knife (This review REVISED 3-29-09), March 27, 2009
Diveman (Houston, TX USA) - See all my reviews
My Leatherman Expanse e33b (the straight blade) just arrived today. It seems pretty solid, and I like the minimalist approach. Seems heavier than I expected, and quite solidly built. I like having a blade made of 154 stainless too.

The only complaint so far is that the liner lock is a bit hard to use--I have a similiar knife (a Timberline) with a liner lock that works easier. The liner on the e33b appears to be ever-so-slightly recessed, so that's why I'm giving this tool a rating of "4". But it still works ok.

The knife is a bit pricey, (I paid $60, which is only a shade under the MSRP), so you might want to wait until it drops to $50 (and try to get the free shipping too). I like the screwdriver bits too. Now, if they'd just include a 2nd blade (a utility blade), this would be the perfect knife for me. Still, I'm happy with it so far.

REVISED 3-29-09

Am revising the rating on this knife (Leatherman e33b) from a "4" down to a "3". The liner lock is annoyingly hard to use, as it is flush or recessed to the base of the knife. ...and after you extend/pull out the screwdriver bit, the lock to release it is very difficult to use. Amazing they can build a multi-tool w/17 tools in it that works great (I also own the Wave), but they have two tools in the e33b, and it's hard to use. Still an "ok" knife, wait until the price drops on this one. Worth $40-$50, not $60.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect tool, June 7, 2010
I have always carried a pocket knife and I use it at least once a day for many different things. Lately I have found myself needing my full Leatherman tool but never really liked caring it. I don't like the belt pouches and it is too heavy in my pocket. When I learned about the Leatherman Expanse I had to try it. I reviewed every option Leatherman offered before deciding on the e33B. I have been using this tool for over a month now and have used every tool it includes. The screw driver tips are perfectly sized and work well. The bottle opener is easy to use and the tool as a whole feels robust. The only issue I have found is that the straight blade bits can be over forced into the bit holder during use and can get stuck. There is a back wall to act as a positive stop when a bit is inserted but the flat blade is so thin it can slip over the edge when you press on it during use. Minor issue that has not prevented me from being able to get the bit out yet, but I could see how it could get worse with wear. Over all, fantastic tool that contains 90% of the tools I use everyday.

5.0 out of 5 stars simple leatherman knife, September 25, 2011
Yeah I like this one. It's a great knife, i even use the bottle opener quite frequently (when b4 i'd use just about anything and everything). I like the 'flick of the wrist' opening blade, and having the screw driver and phillups head drivers. It's a little fatty, but incredibly light. Although it has a wide profile, i really don't notice it cliped in my pocket much at all. I like knives and own more than I surely need, but I really do like this one and would recommend it.

If you're a handy-man type like myself, I HIGHLY recommend the Leatherman Wave.. with (32-?) bit replacement/addition. I use this thing soooo much! From the pliers (that don't bend or break like crappy imitations) to torx bits and square head screws, eye-glasses srcrew driver (for my wife) the sissors (I never thought I would use the stickin thing, but it proves to be the most used).. The blades are super sharp and high quality! And.. everything locks in place. Highly reccomend this one! Great gift for someone... or for yourself!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome pocket knife, July 5, 2011
This thing is great to have in your pocket. The blade is made of 154CM and stays very sharp for a long time. I've had a few Benchmades that used this material and it's always been very durable.

To be blunt, I prefer the Benchmade knives (and the Axis lock mechanism) over this, but they are only knives. The screwdriver in this seems to come in handy at the most unusual times, so I tend to carry this more than the others - just in case. I've tried to keep other compact mutli-tools in my pocket or on my keychain, but they always seem to be awkward to use and not worth the hassle. This really is almost as good as an actual screwdriver. And the bottle opener has come in handy a few times, but there are a million solutions for that.