Customer Discussions > Stargate: Continuum forum

Don't Leave Reviews For Something You Haven't Experienced Yet!!!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 28 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 18, 2008 5:12:36 PM PDT
Hectic says:
All right, that does it! I'm getting sick and tired of people that leave REVIEWS for things that aren't even out yet! Who's with me on this?!

If you want to talk about the product in question, but it hasn't been released yet or you don't own it, that is what this DISCUSSION section is for! The REVIEW section is for those who have actually EXPERIENCED a product and want to leave their positive/negative views about it, whether it be movies, music, electronics, etc., so that other potential customers can learn the good and/or bad about the product! How can you leave a true review, unbiased or otherwise, about a product you haven't used, watched, listened to, etc.? You can't! Plain and simple!

Now for some things, it's OK to leave a review, even if it isn't out yet. Like movies that were released in theaters or a TV series season coming to DVD; either of which you could have seen already and can render a legitimate opinion about. But for things like straight-to-DVD movies like Stargate: Continuum or music albums that have yet to be released to the general public and no one has seen or heard yet...NOOOOO! (I'm saying "NOOOOO!" while whacking the offender on the nose with a rolled-up newspaper like the naughty puppy they are!)

You do realize why some people do this of course; especially if they leave a bad review? They are just trying to get a rise out of you, (the fans!) trying to piss off as many people as they can!

So please, if you find a review for a new product (whatever it may be) that offers no real insight into it and hasn't been released yet; do what I do. Report that review as inappropriate. If enough people do, that review will be removed by Amazon!

In reply to an earlier post on May 18, 2008 8:16:57 PM PDT
Jose says:
I agree. Amazon should not allow reviews to be posted on products that haven't been released.

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2008 8:58:03 PM PDT
D. Watt says:
You do realise that you have allowed these people to get "a rise out of you" as you said they wanted...... LOL

Personally i partly agree with the writer though, that some of the postings are useless, and comments on what these people are hoping the movie will contain or who they want to see in it really are not what a reviw is about, nor does it help me to decide whether to buy it myself or not.

On the other hand, there were postings that did inspire me to investigate Stargate: continuum, sooner than i would have otherwise.

One such posting said Richard Dean Anderson was not in it, and another described the plot as involving Baal, travelling back in time to steal the earth stargate.
I was pleased to find on another site i have used to buy DVD's a full description confirming RDA's participation in the acting side of things, and that the plot description i had read was reasonably accurate.

In short, you can't stop people writing rubbish in these forums they don't listen anyway cause they thinnk they are entitled to write whatever they like.

If people don't want to read a review they think doesn''t help, don't!! that's what the scroll function on your mouse is for.

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2008 9:28:44 PM PDT
Hectic says:
D. Watt,

- "You do realise that you have allowed these people to get "a rise out of you" as you said they wanted......"

Yeah, I do realize that. I never said they didn't. That's why I posted this discussion in the first place!

- "If people don't want to read a review they think doesn''t help, don't!! that's what the scroll function on your mouse is for."

Ummm, how can someone deem a review unhelpful...unless they read it first?!

- "In short, you can't stop people writing rubbish in these forums they don't listen anyway cause they thinnk they are entitled to write whatever they like."

Well, you may not be able to stop people from writing and posting "rubbish" reviews, but they can be taken off if enough people think them inappropriate. Case in-point, the 3 reviews that were up at the time I posted this discussion are now gone. I voted all of them inappropriate, as I'm sure other people did, which is the reason they are now gone. People "are entitled to write whatever they like", up to a certain point. When people leave reviews for things they have never used (unreleased items), it gets "a rise out of me" because it isn't helpful. It's not just for what people say, but for the star rating they leave. It doesn't matter if the reviews are good or bad (but especially bad), it's a hinderance to the whole review system because it throws off the actual helpful ratings & reviews of people who HAVE actually experienced the product. (AFTER it's come out.)

In reply to an earlier post on May 29, 2008 9:29:48 PM PDT
D. Watt says:
Fair enough.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2008 4:05:39 PM PDT
Keonyn says:
I completely agree, it's really annoying when you find something that isn't even out yet littered with reviews. I can understand it if it's maybe a season box set of a season that has completed its run, or maybe a movie that someone saw in theaters that isn't out on DVD yet, but in this case it's something they couldn't have seen. Even in the event of something they saw, the presentation on the DVD should still play a factor, so they should still hold off on the review until they have the product.

This is just as annoying as those people who give something they liked a 1 star review because the disc they got was scratched or the delivery was late, that also really annoys me.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 21, 2008 4:53:54 PM PDT
Scotman says:
I could not agree more. I have seen reviews of products where the buyer did or did not like the shipping, heard it was bad, or that the VHS tape was not out in DVD yet. Duh. Even so, I pre-ordered cuz I'm a Stargate fan. Will mark unhelpful on the all wise one above. Thanks for letting me vent.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 22, 2008 3:30:26 PM PDT
R. Riis says:
I would go one step further: No reviews of the DVD if you haven't seen it, even if you have seen the theatrical release. A good DVD review hopefully includes one's impressions of the transfer quality, sound, extras, etc.
Also - to Amazon - stop mixing the reviews of the DVD and VHS together, or the regular edition and deluxe edition together. It is so annoying to be fishing through 5-year-old reviews of a DVD looking for a review of the just-released deluxe edition.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 22, 2008 5:54:20 PM PDT
Scotman says:
True, especially when you know that the theatrical releases often have their own reviews, such as Iron-man and the new Indiana Jones films.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 24, 2008 8:46:57 AM PDT
Susie says:
The topic of your post caught my eye and that was my excuse for actually reading it. I am in complete agreement and I have my own tactic to deal with these premature reviewers - if it hasn't been released - I don't read it. If it's something I want to see and it has been released - I don't read it. I learned my lesson in the 70s with the release of Star Wars. Silly 18 year old that I was, had I trusted the reviewers, and these were allegedly "professionals," I would never have seen it - and I would have missed out on a major sci-fi epoch event. So don't let these "wise and witty" people spoil your venture into the other realms - take comfort in knowing that they are actually cheating themselves as they try to tell others what to do.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 24, 2008 9:37:57 AM PDT
Royal says:
I would suggest Amazon two two things...
One... not offer a ratings for unreleased products, but allow a posting to provide a discussion thread.
Any reviews prior to actual sale should be deleted or converted to a discussion thread and not treated as a "review"

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 24, 2008 12:16:00 PM PDT
Scotman says:
I've had some success with other problems with the Amazon site by writing to Amazon customer service email.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 25, 2008 4:40:14 PM PDT
Hectic says:
Yep, those are some more good points. I forgot to include the stuff about the people that leave bad reviews for damaged goods or lousy shipping in my original rant. As for the stuff about mixing the same reviews for different releases of the same material,...yeah they shouldn't do that. But I don't think Amazon has done that lately, have they?

Like for the older release of "Indiana Jones" on DVD, then the new "Adventure Pack" release. They have different reviews. The newer release has more negative reviews of course by some jackasses who just call it a marketing ploy to get more money than actually giving it a serious review because they own it. I wanted to know which release actually has better quality, meaning the video, sound, etc., not the special features. No one addressed this in any of the reviews I saw, so I started a discussion thread to ask if anyone compared the 2. I got some good information from others, including a link to a review by someone who DID do a comparison between the 2, saying that the newer release does have some improvement in picture quality than the older release. (So I'll probably buy the newer release...or wait until they come out with yet another release pack that has the original 3 Indy movies + the new one!)

And finally, I NEVER listen to critics. Actually, I think a critics job is worthless, pointless, etc. for 2 main reasons:
1. People have individual tastes, likes, dislikes, preferences, etc. What if "critic X" gives a review for a genre of music or movie they don't particularly care for or just plain hate?! As much as they might try to leave an unbiased review (or not) they won't. That dislike will bleed through in the review and not give a fair critique.
2. Whatever it is they are going to review (music, movies, art, food), they go more to critique it than to enjoy it.

If there's a movie I see previewed and it looks like something I want to go see, I'll usually go see it no matter what ANYBODY says. However, I will at least look up reviews by the "average Joe" to see what they have to say about it. Most people who go to see a movie will go because they expect to be entertained by it, like it, even love it. However, if those same people who see the movie say it sucks...then it probably will.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 25, 2008 8:37:21 PM PDT
Scotman says:
I agree. I have yet to see a "critical" review of Dianetics without the person ranting and raving. And I've noted in textbooks college students who know better have mentioned comments about the merchant rather than the text itself but that's more a generational problem I think. I don't review things I know I hate. How can I be objective?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 30, 2008 7:34:51 PM PDT
I was surprised to see this discussion page. I too, have found it very distracting that reviews are allowed for items not yet released, regardless of the item. It is my opinion that many of these reviews are made so they have the first review(s) so they can run up their ratings as reviewers. Moreover, as near as I can tell, any "factual" information provided in reviews of items such as "Stargate: Continuum," the "reviewers" are essentially plagiarizing web sites (e.g., Stargate.com) or magazines (e.g., Stargate: The Official Magazine), or passing on "information" from conventions or similar venues. (There was the unfortunate "illegal" (?) downloading of the first Stargate movie as well).

I agree that Amazon should not allow any reviews of items not yet released, and that they need to weed out and separate reviews not relevant to the item; be it version, formate, or, as I have found in some cases, title. When I look at reviews I am looking for reviews of the dvd I am looking to purchase, not some other formate, be it the original release, vhs release, or previous versions of the dvd. And, I frequently start by looking at the one star reviews to learn why someone "hate" a movie. Unfortunately, I am discovering that most one star "reviews" tell me nothing beyond the fact that the customer hates the movie, actor, language, Amazon, etc. Please note Java Developer, that you can hate something AND still provide factual grounds for why you hate it that could be helpful to a reader of your review; (on the other hand, I can also understand not wanting to put effort into writing about something you hate).

Along another line, as someone who has recently started writing reviews, and did so, ironically, because I was mad at Amazon for listing a version of "Major League" that they did not carry, I think it would be helpful to know why some one found my review helpful or not helpful. Such input would help me know how to better write my reviews. Then, again, I tend to review "older" items, so most of my reviews have gone unread anyway. But, I would enjoy learning what other reviewers think. Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 1, 2008 11:16:28 AM PDT
J. Knight says:
I AGREE - Applause Applause Applause to you. Why do people constantly missuse Review areas v.s. Discussion areas. I keep seeing on this site and others people leaving in review sections things such as, "Put in the my DVD player played once than wouldn't work after that." and "This item is not (fill in the blank) tried to get ahold of (fill in the blank) and no response." This type of stuff should go in e-mails to which ever sight you bought it from, because how can some random person reading the post help you. It's not as if you can log on see the post clap your and or click your heals together and a DVD that played once and now won't or a product that's not as you expected suddenly be different. It's a modified version of the old saying in regards to 'STARGATE : CONTINIUM" don't judge a DVD by it's CASE.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 1, 2008 12:08:36 PM PDT
Scotman says:
Edwards: Point taken, thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 1, 2008 12:10:23 PM PDT
Scotman says:
What's really amusing are the students who complain about their textbooks listed on Amazon.

But to be helpful, I would like to see Amazon put a button on some reviews that say "inappropriate for Review" or some button similar, so that they can be flagged and seen by the Amazon I.T. pros and handled accordingly. There's no way they could monitor the millions of reviews they have without customer input.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 6, 2008 4:54:38 PM PDT
D. Elder says:
Some people review for websites and get early copies. This one has been out for awhile in that form (not final product until recently) but yes, the people "reviewing" titles they haven't seen is a problem that Amazon should deal with.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 7, 2008 2:58:26 PM PDT
I. Sondel says:
Sometimes people are sent "review" copies in advance of release. Amazon does this with "Vine" members. I've received a couple advance copy books from different authors asking me to review them. Still, I think that accounts for only a small number of the posts you're talking about. Something else that upsets me is people who use the rating system to voice a complaint about a shipping problem - so they give the "1812 Overture" one star because the CD case was cracked when it arrived. Errrgggh!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 8, 2008 8:45:48 AM PDT
Ninz says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 8, 2008 11:51:41 AM PDT
Keonyn says:
I don't think he's getting fussed over nothing. As you can see from the initial post, this thread was started on May 18th. At that point, according to pretty much any site with Stargate news, the film was still being edited together and wasn't even completed in that regard. The reviews he is posting about are also reviews that were done even before that date, in one case the review was written within days of it even being announced and put up on Amazon. They are actually gone now, as they were reported and Amazon was kind enough to remove the reviews in question.

These reviews were obviously done by people who hadn't seen the movie either. They didn't mention anything about the movie specifically at all, instead they simply cited things about the TV series or complained about how Richard Dean Anderson isn't a prime cast member any longer. The way they were written it was painfully obvious these people hadn't seen the movie itself. Besides, even if they viewed the movie online, that still doesn't tell us anything about the quality of the DVD release, the packaging and extras provided, sound and video quality and all that as well.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 10, 2008 2:50:00 PM PDT
Hectic,
I have been giving this a lot of thought since I first found this "discussion" and made a post. I have also mentioned it to a number of other people; all of whom are in agreement that Amazon needs to improve the review portion of listings and better monitor those reviews. I would like to re-iterate that I think Amazon should not allow any reviews for an item that is not yet available to Amazon buyers--period.

That said, I think that Amazon is failing to provide "outlets" for customers: 1) to express their opinions about the item; and 2) to "easily" complain about the product or the service provided. By "easily" I mean doing so from the product's listing page; (I suspect many customers are either unsure of how to formally complain to Amazon or do not know how to utilize a computer very well).

As such, here are the links I think Amazon should provide for customer comments on the product's page:
1. "Rate This Item"--a link that allows customers to express their personal views;
2. "Report 'Problems' or 'Complaints/Comments' About This Listing, The Service Amazon Provided, Or Product Quality/Damage"--a link that allows customers to complain or praise the product;
3. "Comment On Customer Reviews"--a link that allows the customer to indicate if the review they have read was helpful in learning about the product or their decision to purchase the--as they can do now--but with a requirement that the customer state why the review was or was not helpful. Hopefully, this would prevent individuals who "hate" the product or the reviewer from just "voting"--that is, passing judgment.
4. "Customer Review Of Related Versions Of This Product"--a link that would allow customers to "rant and rave" about other versions (e.g., theatrical release, trailer, down loads, web pages, vhs rather than dvd, that version of the vhs/dvd versus another version of the vhs/dvd) of the film.

What do you think? Am I expecting too much from Amazon?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 10, 2008 5:14:55 PM PDT
Hectic says:
K. O. Edwards,

No, I don't think that's expecting too much at all. I think those are some pretty good ideas in-fact! However to expect this from Amazon, it may be too much. I wouldn't be suprised if these ideas have already been suggested to Amazon and "taken under consideration". I think that the problem with Amazon implementing them is that Amazon wants to keep everything more simple than this. The more options there are, the more problematic it can be. (Not to mention complaints from some customers for having too many options and making it more complicated!) And that's the thing; you can't please everybody no matter how hard you try. We want more options, others want to keep it simple. You're damned if you do, damned if you don't!

I still think it's worth a try though. I just may contact Amazon and suggest some of these ideas (from this discussion) and if enough people do, they may just get around to implementing some of them!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 12, 2008 1:24:42 PM PDT
T. Sanders says:
I HAVE ALREADY SEEN IT
Sorry for the caps, but don't assume that because it's not available for general resale that people haven't seen the movie.

And fyi it's pretty cool.
I already downloaded it off demonoid.com, but I plan to buy the dvd anyway to support the show's creators.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Stargate: Continuum forum
Participants:  15
Total posts:  28
Initial post:  May 18, 2008
Latest post:  Jul 13, 2008

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Stargate: Continuum
Stargate: Continuum by Ben Browder (DVD - 2008)
4.2 out of 5 stars   (568)