Led Zeppelin
Format: DVDChange
Price:$22.69+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on June 20, 2003
I only became aware of this DVD about a month before it's release. I went and bought the one copy that didn't blow out of the store for $. What a deal for 5+ hours. First of all, both DVDs have their own liner note booklets. Reading this makes you appreciate how lucky Jimmy was to acquire and restore much of this material. The first DVD starts with the complete 1970 Royal Albert Hall show. I was immediately stunned for several reasons. You could tell this was the beginning of their superstardom. Of all the footage I've seen, this is the most intimate as they weren't in the stadium venue yet. All of the songs are raw and powerful. The audio mix is incredible. Who hasn't heard Whole Lotta Love on the radio more than they need to? However, when you listen to this fresh performance with Plant's old voice, it blows you away. During the break on that song where Bonham is is doing his thing, Jimmy is playing with an Echoplex to get all sorts of wierd sounds. The really cool part is the sounds are panning all around in surround mode. Incredible. You also get clear instrumental separation between Jimmy (right Speaker), Robert (center) and Jones (Left). There are concerts out there from last year that don't take near the advantage of DTS as this one does. The Earl's Court and Knebworth shows are great as well. The TV appearances are interesting and really show what they sounded like just before they started to really peak around the Royal Albert show. The acoustic and electric sets at Earl's Court gave the best live versions of Stairway and Going to California yet. The Madison Square Garden clips added some goodies no ton TSRTS. The Knebworth Show is the best version of several In Through the Outdoor Tune. In the Evening and Kashmir both sound powerful and full.
For those that were disappointed with The Song Remains the Same, this makes up for it in spades.
on August 15, 2006
For all those of us who were disappointed with "The Song Remains the Same", and had longed for something better, this set is the one we have long awaited. The 70's-era picture and sound appear to have been cleaned up as much as is technically possible, and the result is the definitive Led Zeppelin live compilation. In addition to the improved sound and picture quality, the performances are vastly superior to TSRTS, without all the annoying "fantasy" sequences. This is Zep at full speed, and while some of the selections may be a bit overlong, it is nonetheless a superbly entertaining look at one of the most dynamic bands of all time. Plant and Page are as flashy as ever, the rhythm section of Jones and Bonham is in excellent form throughout, and one cannot view this set without a renewed sense of awe at the tremendous musicianship of the late John Bonham. It is a good value, and well worth buying for many repeat viewings. We had to wait quite a while for this one to be released, but it was worth every second. Highly recommended.
on December 11, 2003
I've been a Zep fan since the late-Seventies, but I was too young to have seen them live. Since John Bonham's death in 1980, I had become a major Zeppelin fan. However, rare collectibles and bootlegs have, more or less, eluded me.
So, it was with great anticipation that I tore off the wrapping on my copy of this DVD. I put in the first disc, which features a famous Royal Albert Hall show, and I put the package away so I would not see the song list. I wanted to experience the Royal Albert Hall show as if I was in the audience.
My pulse was pounding as we see the band walk on stage and immediately explode into "We're Gonna Groove." I was ecstatic! I was seeing Led Zeppelin like I always wanted to see them: Energized, and eager to play. And man, do they ever play.
It's a concert like none we see today. No props, no flashpots, and no special lighting effects. Just a band, plugged into amplifiers, and playing their hearts out on stage.
I was in heaven. This was not just another concert DVD. . . This was like watching a dream. I had imagined what it was like to see Zeppelin prior to 1973, and with this disc, I not only get to see them play, but it's a mesmerizing show.
I finished the first disc nearly exhausted with excitement, and having to wipe away a tear or two from joy. It's a feeling I will probably never have again, but it's one I wanted to share with you because if you are either old enough to have listened to Led Zeppelin before Bonzo's death or you are simply a fan of their music, this DVD is the most crucial part of a Zep fan's official collection.
You have to understand that, aside from the decidedly mediocre and indulgent concert film, "The Song Remains the Same," most Zep fans today have never seen them like this. Now, thanks to Jimmy Page, we are able to see Led Zeppelin as they were in virtually every part of their career. It is an excellent document of their career as a band, and I recommend it highly.
If you don't get chills watching Robert Plant belt out early Zep songs in the Royal Albert Hall show, you were probably never really a Zeppelin fan to begin with.
Furthermore, several reviews here are critical of the pre-digital era recordings. I think that it is absolutely LAUGHABLE to criticize this disc for having less than 21st Century digital quality. Does anyone whine about the "less-than-stellar" recordings made by Louis Armstrong in the Twenties, or do jazz fans clap their hands in sheer bliss that they can sit and enjoy the the fact that they can actually hear Satchmo play? The fact that we can see Zeppelin kick ass on stage is well worth the ridiculously low price offered on this website.
Can the audio here compare to the best discs available? No. Does that matter? ABSOLUTELY NOT! Look at what you are getting: There has not been an official video document of a Led Zeppelin concert, aside from "The Song Remains the Same," for nearly THIRTY YEARS! Fans who did not have access to bootlegs never heard "Earl's Court '75," or "Knebworth '79."
This disc affords true fans, who never saw the band live, the opportunity to see Zeppelin at their best. I am a fan of their music, and after I finished watching the disc, I commented to a friend that I would have paid $250 for access to this footage.
That's what this disc means to me. It's almost priceless material, and we get it for less than one ticket to ANY current rock concert being held today. That says something.
I hope you get the same level of enjoyment out of it as I did, because if you do, you are in for one hell of a good time.
on June 8, 2010
Along with the Complete Studio Recordings boxed set (CDs) that I bought a few months back, I decided to chuck in a couple of DVDs for the day that I might catch-up with the 21st century and actually get myself a DVD player!!

I was going to save the DVDs for that 'pie in the sky' wide screen that I may or never may get. Anyway, just the other day, finding myself with some time on my hands; I decided to give the Led Zeppelin DVD a spin. (Bad move... Well, not really a bad move - just bad timing. I decided to have a quick look at it on my desktop computer... Just before going to bed. To cut a long story short:)

1) I was completely blown away. (I should have known better after my experience with the "How the West Was Won" CD...)

2) I was up the whole night and I didn't even think about going to bed until way past the time when the sun started beating down on my tin roof!

3) I felt the need to burst into print with this because I have just been watching Jimmy Page's guitar solo in "White Summer," (Live at the Royal Albert Hall, London - 1970) - for about the 10th time already. At the end of the performance, I couldn't restrain myself from bursting into applause - (even though I live alone and only my dogs could have even heard it!) There were tears in my eyes - and I noticed that all the hairs on my ugly legs were standing-up on their ends!

There's also a lump in my throat, as I write this.

I can't say any more...
on December 14, 2003
First off, I play drums and the legendary John Bonham has been a huge influence on my playing. So I could hardly wait for this DVD to come out. My first review here several months ago must have broken some kind of rule or gotten lost in cyberspace or a server crash. Either way, here's another try.
The whole DVD is quite simply a work of art. Some of the scenes do seem a little dated (Page and his bow), but compared with all we had before this ('The Song Remains the Same' movie); this is state of the art stuff!

As I stated, I am a drummer. So of course, I love Bonham's prominence in this DVD set. It appears Page went out of his way to appease us drummers, and I'm very grateful. But I'm also a frustrated bassist, vocalist and guitarist, so I was equally enthralled to witness the genius of each band member. Of course Bonzo and his bombastic wall of sound and very scary bass drum work (with a single Ludwig Speed King pedal folks, how the...!!??) is Nirvana to me. But I also loved watching John Paul and Bonzo reign in Page as if in some kind of mental telepathy! Page would be wandering a little too long with some guitar solos, and Jones would tolerate it for awhile, then he would glance at Bonzo and they would force Page back into the real world with a vengeance. 'Achilles Last Stand' is a good example of this; and a blistering version also because I truthfully didn't think Bonzo could pull this one off live, but he showed my mortal self just what a real, technical hard rock drummer can do!! I watch it over and over because he nails the time changes and rolls perfectly! Not to say I don't love Page's playing, because I do. He was and is a master of the guitar and writing rock music.
I also love Plant's vocals, and you've got plenty here on this DVD. But they aren't as clear and up front as I'd like, since Plant really is an underrated vocalist. I love trying to mimic his primal, sensual squeals and complete abandon, so I was a little disappointed the vocals weren't more prominent, but it's a trivial thing because the footage of Bonham more than makes up for that minor irritation.
So, if you love Led Zeppelin or any of the band members (or all of them, like myself), you have to get this DVD! You'll laugh at some of the dated parts, but the jaw dropping musicianship will leave you in complete awe and make you realize just why you started playing an instrument in the first place, and why there will never be another Led Zeppelin without Bonzo. We drummers are a dime a dozen, but a select few are truly great artists, and Bonzo was a master artisan, just as Page, Jones and Plant were and are at their crafts.
on October 18, 2003
In the year 3003, (if we haven't blown ourselves up or been rounded up and sold as pets on the Galactic Live Commodities Market,) someone looking up the phrase "Rock and Roll" in their supercomputer the size of a sugar cube will get something like this on their holoscreen:
"Rock and Roll - a late 20th century phrase describing music created by small groups of mostly male musicians, played on percussive and amplified-electric instruments with vocals, and the lifestyle which accompanied that music, characterized by an idealistic belief in world peace, and in love shared freely and without commitment. Examples of rock and roll bands: The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, The Who, Led Zeppelin."
Searching further, the student of late 20th century music will likely be able to download and experience the material on this DVD - it's so good, that it's going to become part of the planet's cultural heritage. This review, however, will likely be lost to obscurity sometime in the next 1000 years, so read it now while there's still time.
Here it is in a nutshell - this two DVD set gives Led Zeppelin fans everything we've ever wanted and more. The sound, the images, the production, the choices made, are all nearly perfect. The material is pure live performance - no "creative content" or "dramatic embellishment" of any kind - just film, film, film of rock, rock, rock being played live, live, live. (If only some of our other great heritage bands would take a hint and give us more DVD's full of the same type of footage!)
The second disk in this two disk set would be the greatest rock and roll you ever saw - if it weren't for the first disk. I am a hardened, veteran, tough-to-please lover of classic rock DVD, and I can say that, without any exception whatsoever, disk one of this set is THE GREATEST ROCK AND ROLL FOOTAGE OF ALL TIME.
I know, Muhammed Ali said something like that about himself - but he backed it up with his fists against Sonny and George, and Led Zeppelin will back it up as well on Disk 1. Pop disk 1 in your DVD player, crank up the surround sound system, and if you are a real music fan, a half-hour later you'll be sitting there with an untouched beer on your coffee table, your jaw hanging slack, your phone ringing and you not getting up to answer it because that would mean pausing this and you aren't about to do that, no matter who it is on the line.
It's actually quite possible that Led Zeppelin never sounded as good on their studio albums, either technically or otherwise, as they do on Disk 1 of this set, in the Royal Albert Hall. The sound is perfect, the video is perfect, and the performance is beyond perfection, into the realm of the supernatural.
Enjoy. Easily worth twice as much as it's selling for.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Tremendous release from perhaps rock's greatest live band. For a band who built its reputation largely on their live performances there has been very little live material commercially available except for the 1973 Madison Square Garden concert on The Song Remains The Same soundtrack which Zeppelin themselves described as only an average concert. This DVD makes up for that and more. All songs are presented uncut with superb sound and picture quality. Disc One starts with a fully restored 1 hour and 40 minute concert from The Royal Albert Hall in 1970. The picture quality is excellent and the 5.1 sound mix superb. Disc One also includes a 30 minute mini-concert in front of a Danish TV audience along with some other television appearances from 1969. Disc 2 starts off with a restored performance of Immigrant Song followed with 4 tracks from the Song Remains the Same Concert (full, uncut versions of Black Dog and Since I've Been Loving You, along with the previously unseen Misty Mountain Hop and The Ocean). As the picture fades on the 1973 Madison Square Garden Concert it immediately fades into the 1975 Earl's Court Concert. Here Zeppelin shows why they were leagues ahead of their 1970's contemporaries like Deep Purple and Black Sabbath with a stunning acoustic set in which they perform Going to California, That's The Way, and Bron Yr Aur Stomp. They then follow with blistering full band electric versions of In My Time of Dying, Trampled Underfoot, and Stairway To Heaven. The scene then shifts to 1979 and Knebworth where Zeppelin turns in superb performances of Rock and Roll, Nobody's Fault But Mine, Sick Again, Achilles Last Stand, In The Evening, Kashmir, and Whole Lotta Love. All in all the two DVD's included with this set include approximately 3 1/2 hours of live concert material along with about 90 minutes of extras of which approximately 55 minutes are additional live performance material. I would recommend this for anyone wanting to see rock music being performed at its best.
on June 25, 2004
Be you a die hard fan or just someone curious about Zeppelin, this two DVD set will absolutely blow your mind. For only the second time EVER, Zeppelin has allowed the release of footage from their concerts to be put onto DVD and distributed. The results are stunning, showing clearly the intimacy between the band members as they played, and the almost electric atmosphere they created as they played to fanatic crowds.
On the first DVD, a 1970 concert including songs from I and II is shown, including Page's famous and utterly amazing violin bow act during "Dazed and Confused" and possibly the best drumming in history from John Bonham in Moby dick, which includes an absolutely mind-blowing 15 minute solo that will have your jaw dropped to the very end.
The second DVD includes concerts from the mid to late 70's featuring songs from III, IV, and beyond. Page is stunning, Bonham shows an energy and talent unmatched to this day, Plant shows his array of talent, from slow meaningful songs such as "Goin to California" to energized lyrics as in "Rock and Roll", and John Paul Jones, although terribly understated, delivers some of the greatest base performances of all time.
If you've never seen Zeppelin, but love their music, this is an ABSOLUTE must but. If you've loved Zeppelin all your life, been to dozens of their concerts, and followed their every step, this is an ESENTIAL to your collection. This DVD shows up close, as if you were on stage with the band, the utter talent and genius of the band, and the unique chemistry between them. The DVD's also include the very few and very rare interviews that the band agreed to do.
5 stars: YOU HAVE NOT EXPIRIENCED ZEPPELIN UNTIL YOU EXPERIENCE THESE DVD'S
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 9, 2006
The magic that is Led, originates first in the lyrics.

Each Masterpiece tells a story, a pain, a hurt, a joy. They had some magic formula for conveying as much emotion as possible in as few words as is possible. Powerful stuff. Poetry.

There was no precursor to this band. No one to imitate, these guys were all original, and pure genius. They do what I imagine Mozart would do, faced with the rock'n roll era.

Then there are the arrangements, the nuances of which would escape the techno-pop quick buck "artists" of today. What makes their Music timeless is the intelligence behind each song. You just can't fake that...

Plant, Page, JPJ, Bonham if not classically trained, wrote, and performed as though they spent years at Julliard. Their execution is virtually flawless.

What is most apparent is the heart they put into their music. They gave and gave, beyond the call of duty. Not for cash, but because they felt it. It came from somewhere deep within, and it still speaks across all ages, all generations. My 11 year old girl who is all "pop" will sit and listen quietly in awe of the power of Kashmir. There will never be another band to equal Britains best.

We were just lucky to have been there to share in their brilliance. Please enjoy their legacy, please pass them on...
on June 12, 2011
I bought this in late 2005 after half-heartedly listening to my mom's Zeppelin CDs, III and Houses Of the Holy. I knew there was something there in Zeppelin that I enjoyed, while I couldn't quite get into it by listening to the music that my mom had. I saw this at Best Buy and noticed that it had a bunch of songs I had heard of and enjoyed when they came on the radio, so I bought it. I watched it over the course of two days, I believe. Once I finished watching it, I went out and bought every album of theirs on the same day. The DVD is that good. The band is that great. Turns out that Houses Of the Holy is... let's say, "not one of my favorites," so that was a bad introduction. The concert at the Royal Albert Hall is one of my top three favorite concerts that I've ever seen or heard. Definitely the best Zeppelin concert that I've heard or seen. They were on point and the music was absolutely phenomenal. I don't know how many times I rewatched that concert. Many, many times. It bums me out that there is no complete recording of Heartbreaker. Great DVD. I highly recommend it to anyone who's interested in getting into the band or wants to know if the band is their kind of music.