5.0 out of 5 stars 6 Watt LED 6000K dimmable A60 bulb
Published on August 25, 2011 by absolut_beethoven

3.0 out of 5 stars Efficient, but expensive "cold" light
Published on October 9, 2010 by Alan Starner

5.0 out of 5 stars 6 Watt LED 6000K dimmable A60 bulb, August 25, 2011
This review is from: Ledwholesalers 7 Watt Dimmable LED Standard Screw Base 50 Watt Incandescent Replacement Light Bulb 7 Watt Globe, Bright White By 1012wh (Tools & Home Improvement)
I ordered a few different types and wattage of LED bulbs from different manufacturers to try out because I've dropped 2 CFL's over the past 6 months. I have been very happy happy with my Panasonic CFL's the past 5 years, but now that LED's have come into their own I feel that the time is right to make the switch as I'm not a happy camper cleaning up mercury, regardless of how minute the amounts, in my home.

It seems to me that the latest version of this LED bulb that I received has been upgraded from 5 to 6 watts, even although the part number remains the same - i.e. 1012WH.

The bright white color is a little too harsh for me and seems slightly higher than it's rated 6000K. I would rate it more like 6500K which is similar to bright midday sunlight on a summers day - harsh and very bright white. Ideal for displaying diamonds, jewelry and other objects that look good under this bright white light, but it's just a little too disconcerting for home use in my opinion. Warm white, the warm glow of sunrise or sunset, which is about 2700K, is way too yellow for me. I generally prefer home bulbs to be around 4000K, especially for reading, but no higher than 5000K. The quality and uniformity of this light is excellent. Keeping in mind that coverage is quite a bit less than incandescents. Probably about 190 degree forward coverage versus about 300 for the latter. This makes it an ideal candidate for shop displays and photographers who want to mimic outdoor sunlight. But it would be hard to relax at home with such a harsh bright white light.

Brightness is about the same as a 13 watt CFL, and I would rate it equivalent to a 50 watt incandescent, which is more than adequate brightness for most home use.

Please note that I have given it 5 stars because of the excellent quality and brightness of light produced, notwithstanding the fact that I find it a little too harsh for most home applications.

August 26, 2011 - Added two pics with notes and labels to give potential customers some idea of the differences in color and light output. No camera can accurately capture the color or dynamic range of the eye, but rest assured that none of these bulbs produce a greenish cast, and although the 6500K bulbs are harsh white, they don't look bluish to me. IMHO the manufacturer's product pic accurately captures this bulb's intense white color.

3.0 out of 5 stars Efficient, but expensive "cold" light, October 9, 2010
I bought two bulbs, this one and the warm light version of the same bulb. I really like that they only use 5 watts, that they are supposed to last a long time, and that they don't contain mercury. I have only had them for a couple of months, so I don't know about their longevity yet. The shape of the bulb is almost identical to an incandescent bulb, but light only comes from the end of the bulb; below that are cooling fins for the electronics. This makes the light somewhat more directional than an incandescent.

Light: The white version casts a very cold light. It's too "cold" for my tastes. The warm version is much better, but still much cooler than an incandescent bulb. Its brightness seems close to that of the incandescent, even though it uses 1/12th of the energy - wow!

Dimming: I put it in a dimmable dining room fixture that has five 60 watt incandescent bulbs, replacing just one of the bulbs. It was easy to tell which of the five was the LED bulb because the light was colder. It also did not dim the same way, although it does dim. The LED dimmed much more slowly. When the incandescent bulbs were almost dark, the LED was still shining at a moderate brightness. As it dims more, it suddenly shuts down and goes dark.

Overall I like these, even though they are very expensive, it's worth having a few in strategic places. I would not use an LED bulb next to an incandescent bulb because of the difference in the quality of the light. I have the warm bulb in a hallway that I often leave on for long periods; the white version is in an outside porch light that comes on at dusk. I'm mostly using CFLs right now, but will probably switch to LED lights as they burn out - hopefully the cost will come down by then. I would only buy the warm light version. For now I would only use them in non-dimmable fixtures, partly because of how they dim, and partly because of the price.

2.0 out of 5 stars Two similar LED bulbs compared; confusing label, February 17, 2011
I compared two similar LED bulbs, the Dimmable Standard Screw Base A60 LED Light Bulb 5 Watt Globe, white 1012WH ($21)
with the Dimmable E26 A60 Standard Household Base 50 Watt Incandescent Light Bulb Replacement with a 6 Watt LED, Warm White, 1012ww ($22),
both from Amazon.

Both were medium bright, perhaps about the same as a 30-watt incandescent bulb. One of these emits a pleasant Sun-colored light and the other emits a blueish light of about the same brightness. The label on the packaging of these two is (almost) identical, and there are no markings on the bulbs. Once taken out of the box it's not easy to say which box contained the blueish one and which contained the yellowish one :(

The bulbs are quite heavy -- if you want to install them int one of those adjustable lamps with a spring-loaded arm, say Swing Arm Reading Lamp with Clamp in Chrome, good luck!

What irritates me about the way these are sold (and this applies to most new CFL types as well) is that the advertising or labeling usually does not make it clear how the light intensity compares with ordinary wattage-rated incandescent bulbs. I have a mental image of how bright a 60-watt bulb or a 100-watt bulb is. I don't know from lumen, lux, foot-candle or candela -- and if I did, I'd be hard pressed to make a mental calculation from reading a specification label to translate that information into equivalence of old-fashioned incandescent watts.

I'd ask manufacturers and retailers to let us know how bright their bulb is, as marked by a traditional wattage rating! They ought to do that, at least until we've become accustomed to the new system. How difficult would it be? I'd have rated these products higher if the package and advertisement sated clearly and in bold print, that information, unambiguously.

2.0 out of 5 stars needs improvement, July 7, 2011
this light bulb produces light similar to what moonlight looks like: blueish, and vague. it has been rated as being able to replace a 50 watt bulb which is wishful thinking. I would rate it more like a 25 watt bulb replacement. by itself the color is just awful, but I mix it with a warm light bulb, which makes it bearable. I was disappointed and do not recommend this product. In short: low output, awful bluish color.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not dimmable, April 4, 2013
I bought these specifically because they were supposed to be dimmable.

Heed the warning: they are not dimmable.

The color works for our paint scheme so they may be used for other purposes but will avoid purchasing other products from this manufacturer as I no longer trust them.

4.0 out of 5 stars I like the Bright White aspect of this bulb, July 20, 2012
I bought four different bulbs in the 60 watt equivalent range listed on Amazon. I wanted to see if this particular bulb was as good as the 5 I bought for my dining room last year, from a local retailer, which were also in the "bright white" temperature range. Now some people do not like light that is very white (sometimes called cool white, or daylight white, etc). I personally prefer it as it's easier to read magazines, etc with a purer white colored light. I rated this bulb #2 of my four different purchases. The $11.90 price was excellent and the color temperature is perfect for my needs. I could also read easier with this light than I could with the two lower rated, "yellower" light bulbs (see my other LED lighting reviews for more information, if you are interested).

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow fast shipping, June 16, 2012
I bought these to replace the 50 watt incandescent bulbs that are currently in my dimmable chandelier. The company must be close. I got them 2 days after placing my order. The only difference I can see is that the boxes say they are 7w and not 6w. That is fine with me. The light is white/blueish compared to the other bulbs. It's going to look kinda funny till they are all replaced. I run this lamp about 8 hours a day. So this is going to save me a lot of money. I saw a person in another amazon review do the math and tell people that the blubs take 2 years to "pay for themselves". I didn't do the math for what I use. But I am positive that is not the case. With regular bulbs it takes 300w to run the chandelier and with led it would be 42w and with cfl 60w. Under a 7th of the watts would = under a 7th of the price to run then incandescent and 20% cheaper then cfl. I don't know about anyone else but my electric company charges in tiers. So after use use a certain amount of kwh the price goes up per kwh. So staying in the lower tiers will save me an arm and a leg too. I run a lot of CFL's too, but I will still save a lot of money in the long run switching to led. if it helps keep me in the lower tiers its the difference between .08/kwh cents to run and 12-15/kwh cents to run.

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful, September 23, 2010
Niter "Cris" (Philadelphia, PA) - See all my reviews
Bought those instead of keeping up with the Pharox III since they were cheaper (half price)....There was a more than valid reason for it.

The color cast is absolutely awful, gives you a "abandoned horror movie hospital" kinda feel including the nice flickering even when not dimmed down.

A total waste of money and I am not even sure the Kelvin are 6000....going to have to check with the light meter and find out about that.

Might as well put a couple of office/workshop fluorescent light instead of these, at least they look nice.

Changing them with the Pharox Flame.

On the way back to Amazon.....

5.0 out of 5 stars These Dimmable LED Bulbs are a bargain!, January 27, 2013
BW (San Antonio, TX, US) - See all my reviews
These Dimmable LED Bulbs are very bright (daylight color) and they work just as well in cold or warm weather.

4.0 out of 5 stars White - blue, June 6, 2012
Works fantastic and is indeed dimmable. However, white should be interpreted as blue-white. It gives off very "cold" light vs a warmer incandescent. It is of personal opinion - but if you are looking to replace an existing incadescent - make sure you select an LED with a "warm" tone.