4.0 out of 5 stars Lee Holden's chi gung routines are the best I have found
Published on April 20, 2011 by Andrew M.

3.0 out of 5 stars Practices feel a bit long as morning/evening routines, but Holden fans may enjoy the longer length
NOTE: I received a free copy of this DVD to review for the web site Metapsychology Online Reviews; please see that site for a more detailed version of my review and more.

In this DVD, instructor Lee Holden offers two 40-minute Qi Gong practices intended for use in the morning and in the evening. The exercises in these workouts are designed to release qi...
Published 16 months ago by doctor_beth

4.0 out of 5 stars Lee Holden's chi gung routines are the best I have found, April 20, 2011
This review is from: Lee Holden: Qi Workout Am/Pm (DVD)
The only reason I'm giving this 4 stars instead of 5 is I prefer Lee Holden's Qi Gong For More Energy for an AM workout and Qi Gong For Deep Sleep for a PM Workout to this video. Those two are fairly new so you might only find them at his Exercise to Heal site, but I can say that his price is not expensive at $20 per video and the videos arrive promptly. This AM/PM video is a good bargain on Amazon, I ordered it here and it arrived within a week with the accelerated shipping option.

In this video, I do prefer the AM workout to the PM one, as the AM one is somewhat different from the More Energy video though both work great for a morning workout. However, I find the Deep Sleep one a lot better than the PM one in this video that is considerably more basic. Still, his method is just the best I've ever found.

What Lee Holden does is create something similar to Vinyassa Flow Yoga in Yoga, where each single chi gung exercise flows into the next in a sensible manner with the result being in an incredibly beneficial workout by the end that is much stronger in effect than the usual chi gung routines. In a way, it's like taking an extended normal chi gung routine like the 8 pieces of brocade or the Crane, and applying that kind of sequence to an entire routine but it's easy to do, not hard to follow. Unlike Vinyassa Flow Yoga, which I find is often taught in a rapid, jerky, fast way that doesn't provide the meditative calm features of yoga, Holden's Flow method of Chi Gung is smooth, flowing, gentle, fluid, calming, and by the end of the workout incredibly energizing or in the case of Deep Sleep or PM workout, feel ready to head for bed completely cleansed, stress free and physically relaxed and rejuvinated.

I have been really blown away at how great it feels at the end of his workouts. His routines, the exercises, the entire routine, the background music, and his teaching and production values all come together in an excellent way. The other 2 videos that I mentioned that I like better also have a better feel to them in the Lake Tahoe setting as opposed to the indoor setting in this one, a minor quibble.

I found his routines easy to learn and follow, without strain, and smooth. You know, some chi gung teachers are too angular in movement. Others are too slow or fast. Lee's style is just right and perfect, and clearly he's worked on how to do it so the student can benefit the most easily.

I just can't recommend his videos more. I have been doing chi gung for a good 17 years and Holden's are the best chi gung routines I've come across.

5.0 out of 5 stars Restorative and Rejuvenating, March 13, 2011
This review is from: Lee Holden: Qi Workout Am/Pm (DVD)
This is the best DVD I have ever used for stretching. Very restorative and rejuvenating. Lee is a calm, welcoming and helpful presence as he guides you through each movement. I could feel my whole body awakening and the muscles responding with no pain. Perfect to do for 20-30 minutes morning or evening.

5.0 out of 5 stars perfect workout for stressed bodies, March 24, 2011
This review is from: Lee Holden: Qi Workout Am/Pm (DVD)
This is a perfect workout for older bodies, that can't take the pounding and jumping of some programs. If it works for millions of Chinese, it can't be all bad. Looking forward to when I know moves by heart, so don't have to concentrate on the video so much.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great way to excercise your mind, October 2, 2011
ACW1120 (CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lee Holden: Qi Workout Am/Pm (DVD)
This practice, on the surface, looks very simple and extremely easy to learn, but you will not get the real benefit until you practice at least to the point you can remember how to breathe through each of the exercise, in other words, remember all the exercise routines until you can forget how to do it and concentrate on your breathing, then the real benefit starts.

I consider myself still in the early learner stage, I bought a sound recorder, and recorded Lee's instructions, and carry with me when I practice the AM-PM work out, it helps me to remember the routines and also concentrate on what is really important here, Qi, the breathing exercise.

I find this DVD is easy to understand and provides a practical first step to the self-enlightenment and self-help on your health.

Very good introduction and practical excersie guidance on Qi workout.

7/5/2012

I started to feel the benefits after continue practice this for almost a year. I do not agree that you can get any practical benefit by shortening routine; you need to do it in a daily basis, the best way I can describe is after a while, you will feel that if you skip a day's practice, you will physically feel bad, I think the benefit for me personally is I start to develop deep breathing habit, and I am more relaxed now compare with before the practice.

9/1/2012

I think I get it now after a year's practice, it really boil down to breathing and how you really not aware of yourself doing it. Every gesture you practice does have a start and ending position, how to totally merge the movement with your breathing in the exercise is the hardest thing to learn, I started by breathing heavily and ending up with rushing through the practice, I am calmer now, also with practice, I have more control of the Qi. I am not saying I become an expert in this, I just realize there is more you need to practice and you really need to focus more onto your inner self when you are doing it.

2/22/2012

I am still doing it... the benefit I get from continue doing is I feel relaxed after each practice. I also feel my body lighter after each practice.

9/11/2013

Still practice it, I can now close my eyes and focus on the smoothness of the movement and breath accordingly, the benefits I get from practicing is immediate. Although it took me more than a year to realize this.

1/9/2014

I can say without any reservations after almost two years, this is a good DVD, and it helps me a lot both physically and mentally. Still doing it and highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars great Qi workout for aging parents, June 13, 2011
This review is from: Lee Holden: Qi Workout Am/Pm (DVD)
I purchased this DVD with my parents in mind, ages 80 and 81. They've been wanting a daily workout that was not strenuous, yet provided interest and results. This video is just perfect for them. I began with working out with them several times, and now they do this on their own. My mom loves the stretching and the calmness that goes along with that (she has borderline high blood pressure). My dad does the workout to his own ability, and if this is like anything else he does in his life, he'll improve daily just by trying to do a little more each time. We do like the AM workout more than the PM workout, so they'll probably just stick to doing that one, no matter if it is morning or afternoon, and the price to pay for this DVD just for that workout is worth it. Greatly enjoy this Qi Workout!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Review of Quigong CD, December 7, 2011
This review is from: Lee Holden: Qi Workout Am/Pm (DVD)
This is a good Qi Gong CD. However there should be a warning at the beginning of it that people who are just starting out should do just 15 min in the beginning to strengthen their legs. 1/2 hour with legs bent is long for someone not experienced.

5.0 out of 5 stars Moving Meditation For Beginners, November 20, 2011
Michael Shelton (Scottsdale, Arizona) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lee Holden: Qi Workout Am/Pm (DVD)
Lee Holden made my introduction to Qi Gong easy, fun and very very relaxing. He speaks in clear english and demonstrates the move so the newest of newbies can understand what's going on. I love the backdrops on the set, one for morning with bright yellows and oranges to energize the mind and body. Another backdrop for evening workouts with calming blues. I've been using this for several months now and have not grown tired of the routines. I will be very interested to see if I outgrow these basic routines as I get more experience but right now I'd say these workouts will be with me for a very long time as a staple of my effort to reduce stress and improve my quality of life. It's no easy task in the western culture. Get this DVD. It's GREAT!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice Long Sequences, October 4, 2012
This review is from: Lee Holden: Qi Workout Am/Pm (DVD)
I started watching Lee Holden on PBS, and have since then purchased just about every DVD he's made - some qi gong DVDs are too spacy for me, but his voice is 'normal' and the sequences work really well. I had frozen shoulder and needed something to keep my flexibility (couldn't even do yoga since I couldn't put any weight on that shoulder) and I credit qi gong with getting me back over 90% (so far) to normal. The sequences on this DVD are longer than those on his other DVDs.

5.0 out of 5 stars All I expected and more, December 5, 2011
This review is from: Lee Holden: Qi Workout Am/Pm (DVD)
I purchased this DVD because I wanted to do more Qi Gong after having had a very brief introduction which raised an expectation that Qi Gong could improve balance, flexibility, and strength. This DVD does all of this. For me, it has also delivered more than I expected: a number of old injuries created several asyemmetries (a dropped right shoulder, a weak left leg, etc) which I had come to regard as givens, but after about 7-10 days of following these work outs, these seemingly intractable imbalances have begun to improve. I can't even say that I have done a workout on a daily basis, but I have tried to do at least the AM or the PM on most days. I'm staying with this regime and have just bought Lee's Self-Healing DVD also.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lee Holden Qi Gong workout AM/PM, August 4, 2011
This review is from: Lee Holden: Qi Workout Am/Pm (DVD)
Lee Holden is a great teacher of the subjects he knows so well.
His presentation is calm; clear . You know this is his life's
work he is sharing so beautifully. He knows whereof he speaks
and the presentation is uncluttered from the staging to Lee's movements and dress.
The activity is not strenuous and will work well for older as well as young practitioners.
This can be a spiritual as well as physical workout that starts the day just right.

Lee Holden: Qi Workout Am/Pm
Lee Holden: Qi Workout Am/Pm by Kevin Painchaud (DVD - 2010)
$19.95 $12.65