Professional restaurant supplies Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Gifts for Mom to look and feel great Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer bschs2 bschs2 bschs2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now SnS

Format: Paperback|Change

on April 22, 2016
I really liked this book....being Missionary Baptist I can identify with the hold beliefs of the church can have on a person's entire thought processes....and this is not saying I disagree with them!
on March 29, 2016
Enjoyed reading why she chose to leave her faith.
on March 15, 2016
Well written. Held my interest. I highly recommend others to read it.
on February 12, 2016
I feel that some nitty gritty details could've been left out. TMI
on December 3, 2015
It is an interesting story, but could have been written better...
on November 4, 2015
An eye opener into the Amish world, I would've never thought that they held such a low regard for women and children in the church and home; speechless at the moment!😕
on September 13, 2015
Before reading Mrs. Furlong's account of growing up Amish, I had admired the sect for it's plain and simple teachings. However, once I encountered Mrs. Furlong's upbringing in a dysfunctional family where accounts of incest between her brother and sisters took place, my view of what I had considered to be innocent Christian beliefs were expectantly shattered. I will never look at the sect the same again. They have the same issues as everyone but they keep the violence quiet because they are allowed to handle crimes within the sect so the "English' law does not prosecute them by 'our ways'. I hope that things have changed since Mrs. Furlong has written her memoir as I want to believe that this sect is perfect, without hurt and without crime. However, I expect that everyone is the same no matter how much they want you to believe otherwise. The plain clothes and demeanor are just tools to fools the 'English' into thinking that they have found a better way of living their lives.
on August 9, 2015
Very good book to read.
on May 17, 2015
It was truthful and showed you a different side of the Amish. The fictional books make it look so perfect and it is not.
on May 16, 2015
Enjoyed reading this book very much, but parts of it were a little slow. Hard to understand why the women especially allow themselves to be abused and taken advantage of by the men and church hierarchy.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse