5.0 out of 5 stars The best credentials, an excellent combination, December 9, 1999
By A Customer
I am prejudiced. I know both author and photographer which is why I bought my first copy of this book. But since then, I have purchased more as gifts to cat breeders and judges around the world. In fact, some have requested copies. Whether you are a cat's companion or cats' judge, you will find photography that is unparalleled in its ability to capture the essence of each pedigreed breed. You will also find uniquely insightful descriptions, because Gloria Stevens has observed and handled the best representatives of every breed as a judge for many years. The information in her book is conveyed in a way that all of us can use, reflect upon and enjoy.I especially appreciate that the photos have been selected to present excellent representatives of the breeds according to their respective standards. As a breeder, I visit this book for information. As an animal lover fascinated by The Cat, I visit it for the beauty of its photographs and the quality of its descriptions.

4.0 out of 5 stars helps me appreciate my cats, May 1, 2005
This review is from: Legacy of the Cat (Paperback)
I have always been a big fan of "mutt" cats (although I have some mutts and some purebreds) but seeing these pictures and reading the personality traits makes me see the interest in purebred cats and a bit into the mind of the "fancier".

I think the photography sells this book. I'm surprised to read another reviewer call them "dreadful reproductions" when I find the work of Tetsu Yamazaki amazing. I bought this book because the pictures of the sphynx cats was so understanding of them and made them look so appealing and cuddly- I just wanted to own those pictures. Sphynx are often called "hairless" and the author makes clear that they are not hairless but are downy, and acknowledges that many people fail to see their charm on first meeting.

this is more of a reference or browsing type book so I haven't read it in it's entirety, but the writing is clear and informative. the illustrations are helpful and the charting of color and pattern reference is easy to follow. I'm not sure who needs this book but it's certainly a lot of fun to have.

4.0 out of 5 stars "Thumbs Up" from one who is "lukewarm" on cats, May 23, 2000
Okay, let me admit up front that I am much more a dog-person than a cat-person. Even so, this book is a real treat for anyone who is even mildly interested in the feline world. The photographs are presented on white backgrounds, and while this approach sometimes creates a "stiff" appearance, that is NOT true in this case. Photographer Tetsu Yamazaki captures cats in all their focused alertness, grace, playfulness, and dare I say... beauty. A photo of a silver Egyptian Mau, crouched and demonstrating that not a single muscle is without purpose, typifies the excellent presentation work in this book.
The organization of the book is clear, with an introductory section that depicts, with a photographic chart, how the different breeds are organized. Descriptions often present some historical facts about breeds that are of real interest.
If you are a cat lover, you will most likely fall "in love" with this book. If you do not fancy cats as pets, and indeed never wish to own one, you may very well still find this book to be fascinating. You may tell yourself that, thank goodness, these "cats" never jump on tables or knock things off shelves... or do they?

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous photography, easy to read informative text, January 13, 1999
This review is from: Legacy of the Cat (Hardcover)
This book is a delight to the eye and satisfying to the inquisitive mind. If you are interested in cats you will love this book.
Tetsu Yamazaki is a master at capturing the soul of the cat in his lens. The book is packed with large, full color photos of almost every breed recognized in the USA.
Gloria Stephens' text is full of rich information for useful to both beginning cat fanciers as well as the veteran breeder and cat show enthusiast. It is a book written by someone who has devoted much of her life to the cat fancy and those wonderful felines.
It would be a welcome present for those cat lovers on you list.

5.0 out of 5 stars Breathtaking Collection of Writing and Photographs, June 25, 2001
This review is from: Legacy of the Cat (Paperback)
"Legacy of the Cat" is a must for each and every cat fancier. Not only do the photographs portray the breeds accurately, the writing by Gloria Stephens explains, enlightens, inspires, and furthers knowledge of the different breeds.

5.0 out of 5 stars Informative and Has Gorgeous Photographs, February 21, 2009
This review is from: Legacy of the Cat (Paperback)
I first picked this up looking for a good overall book on cat breeds, but what really caught my attention and made me purchase it was the stunning photographs of the cats. They're not just good photographs showing the breeds, because in some books those can be stiffly posed and boring in composition. Rather these are full of personality and movement and showcase the alertness, intelligence and grace of the animals. Get it for the information, but most of all, get it for the photographs!

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully done in every way., July 30, 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Legacy of the Cat (Hardcover)
My favorite cat book of all time. Beautiful photos Informative tips on everyting feline. Gives information on almost every of the known and accepted cat breeds. I recommend this book to any cat lover.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful book, Great Photographs, November 5, 2005
This review is from: Legacy of the Cat (Paperback)
The book is filled with so many colorful photographs and is so descriptive. It helped my daughter identify what kind of cat her grandma owns. Wonderful book!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Legacy of the Cat is the BEST!, August 30, 2013
Love this book....Like no other cat book out there! Gorgeous photos of all breeds of cats, detailed info on their lineage and genetics. Superb coffee table AND reference book. Great gift for that special cat person.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Book, January 19, 2013
Found an earlier edition in a thrift store and gave it to a friend... didnt think I'd ever find another copy but checked Amazon...cost a lot more but excellent condition and shipped and wrapped well, arrived within a week and worthevery penny... Glad to have found it and my friend loves her's too....

Legacy of the Cat
Legacy of the Cat by Gloria Stephens (Paperback - May 29, 2001)
Used & New from: $16.26