Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Legacy Letters: His Wife, His Children, His Final Gift
Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

Format: Hardcover|Change

on September 21, 2013
Just home from a 5-day backpacking trip in The Enchantments (3 hours east of Seattle). I put this book in my backpack because of it's size and remarkable jacket synopsis. I mean, who could walk away from a come-on like that?

I started the book on the plane to Seattle and by the time we landed, I was 40 pages in and HOOKED. I mean, hooked bad - the last guy off the plane when my seat was only 10 rows back from the door.

Carew Papritz has created the book that every father should write for their kids, and never will. The prose is so well-crafted that I found myself 'whisper reading' the entire book to myself - I haven't done that in 43-years, since I was 8!

The opening paragraph or two from each letter is worthy of a 2nd reading. Papritz sets the scene, mood, environment, or context so beautifully that by the time the meat of the letter started, I was completely transported. The lessons in each letter are never preachy, and as a father of an 11-year old I found myself marking certain passages for sharing with my son.

The rest of our group went on a day hike during the third day. I found myself a big flat rock, took out my sleeping pad, set up a pillow and didn't move. I digested The Legacy Letters into my soul and stood up 5 hours later a better man, husband, and father.

I'm thankful that this book came across my radar. I want to share it with the world. I will give away a dozen copies this Christmas.

Thank you, Papa, for doing the work it must have taken to produce those letters. I imagine there were profound boxing matches with the shadows of fatherhood, the undercurrents of relationship, and the very personal and delicate balance of the ego.
on June 10, 2013
I enjoyed The Legacy Letters immensely! It's been a long time since I've gotten so emotionally involved in a character and his story, but this book really drew me in. The author's touch brings it to life. The letters have the ability to strip away the superfluous in this life and boil it all down to a rich, clarifying elixir.

Throughout the book there is the feeling that the main character poured his life into the pages of these letters to his unborn children. The story is a poignant reminder of our own mortality and sparks the desire to closely examine the legacy we are leaving to those whom we love.
on May 18, 2013
Every adult on the planet needs to read this book. It's a touch stoning book that gives you advice on just about everything in life. We can all connect with this book. As I read through the letters in the book, I began to know the main character. The letters share his intimate thoughts, advice, opinions, and observations on all aspects of life. This all brought me to a relationship with him. I read them and thought, "Wow, I never thought of it that way," and his points of view on everything make us consider our own lives and allow us some introspective thought, so that we can use his advice that he sends to his children. Because the letters show his most honest and genuine thoughts, I felt like I was reading letters from a close friend.

The writing is gracefully innocent, loving, honest, and genuine. I found myself smiling in many places in the book. He writes the letters using wonderful metaphorical wording and his own home-grown vocabulary. I couldn't help but smile often as I read these special, humble, and down-home style wordings.

There is so much in the book to follow. That's one of the things about the book, which I found so fascinating. As I read though the letters, I started to look forward to a second read just to pick up the subtleties and nuances that I missed the first time through. He has a complete love for his children and wife that is so anchoring to all of us. I can only hope that there are more people like him in the world. I wish I could meet someone like him, someday.

Many letters begin with a setting. This might be the weather or time of day, or even location. This can be when it's "bright and beautiful" or "7:15 a.m. - shaved, clean, and back on the porch" or simply "Thunderstorms". The settings captured my imagination.

The power of The Legacy Letters lies in its ability to take you into your own experiences. It helps you to reflect and consider your own life, and how you can apply this man's advice. There is so much to enjoy from this book.
on October 15, 2013
The Huffington Post review was right!! The Legacy Letters is a remarkable book to be cherished with family and friends. I challenge you to find a letter in the book that doesn't resonate in your everyday life. I found that each new letter was like taking a breath of fresh air...I just couldn't get enough.

The fact that this book is set up as series of letters allows the reader to progress through the book at any pace. Whether you have five minutes or an hour, you have time to read at least one letter. Each letter shares a new way of looking at life, or in my case, helped me remember why I love the little things in life in the first place. I have marked various letters, so I can go back and read my favorites from time to time. Some of the letters will make you laugh and some will make you cry. The best part of this book is its ability to take the reader on a journey through a dying man's life with each individual letter. The flow of each letter in the larger context of the book is like listening to the performance of a song within a classic musical. Every letter can stand on its own, but it is so much more enriching when connected to all the other letters.

This book is a must-read for anyone looking to rediscover what is important in life. I am a big believer in family values, but sometimes I find that they get lost in the everyday grind. Now when I'm feeling less-than-inspired, I can pick up The Legacy Letters and read about how to cherish "Time-The First and Last Gift" or I can take solace in the fact that I am not alone and sometimes in life "There Are Hard Days to Live." Papritz's writing is clever, inspirational, and his insight into life is lasting. I look forward to the release of his companion book, The Legacy Letters: The Complete. I can't wait to get my hands on more of his brilliant insights and I highly recommend reading this book!
on August 19, 2013
Legacy letters
Artistically written. Transports one to another time and place with vivid expression.

"Like dancing porcupines crashing a balloon party"

On the subject of Compromises

"We convince ourselves that were not compromising but merely riding a horse that won't buck"

This book encourages one to appreciate life, even in facing death and the wonder of the mystery of not knowing what is to come. Sort of a self help guide, or, book of proverbs according to, and writing by, a Cowboy.

It is not cluttered with Names to remember or multiple story scenarios happening at one.

My Favorite Quote from the Book:

"Time is our most precious resource. We forget how rare time is until we realize how little we have left. Like your last gasp of air under water-only then to do realize how much you love to breath" " more precious than gold. And you should squander gold before you throw away time". This rings true for me and makes me think about how we all give up our gold just to have more time.

Well done! Loved the chapter on "starting the new day" Pg 173 we do make being happy so difficult.

To me this book was written as a man's last testament, and meant to fit in with one's own life; and sings to the drama of personal application and reflection.

Example of reflection from the book for me:

How will I appreciate the gift of life I am given?

Who will I influence / encourage in life?

What will my life mean when it's over?

Thanks for taking the time to put this book together.

Real Eye opener,

Steve Ewing from the Arizona Mexico Border
on August 16, 2013
The Legacy Letters: his Wife, His Children, His Final Gift; Carew Papritz's first novel shares profound down to earth wisdom on many things from books to money. The unknown narrator is dying of a terminal illness and is writing letters to his unborn children. He shares his personal wisdom, gained through life experience, to his children as his final gift to them.

The way this book is written sounds like poetry at times. I love the way this book flows beautifully and gives you a picture of the narrators life.

There is fundamental soundness in The Legacy Letters that will keep you reading it again and again. One nugget of wisdom we are reminded of in this book is, " Time. We are only given so much of it." This book made me laugh and think about the world we live in. The Legacy Letters makes you take a second look at life.

This book reminded me somewhat of Tuesday's with Morrie by Mitch Albom in that both books are filled with many gems of wisdom about life and how to truly live. I would recommend this book to fans of Tuesday's with Morrie.

I acknowledge that I received this book free of charge from the author in exchange for my honest and unbiased opinion of the book.
on April 27, 2014
After reading the book, The Legacy Letters, I sat and pondered the words of wisdom wrapped in emotion and intimacy. It is a journey through one man's sincere emotions of his last dying days suppressed in letters to be given to his unborn children. These personal lessons contain poetic, moral lessons on how to live a life with gratitude, basic human kindness towards one another, and how to stop and appreciate the everyday beauty we encounter in our daily lives. As a librarian I am thrilled to have this book on my shelves, a book that parent and teachers can read out load or along side their kids. The Legacy Letters is a relevant guide to inspire this generation to be polite and respectful and to always remember that LOVE is very strong and powerful, allowing us to be gracious and forgiving. Thank you Carew for giving our students a guide book of wisdom they can take with them on their life journey.
Lisa Woods, Librarian GEA Academy
on August 1, 2014
Usually people just don't take the time to sit back and reflect on their lives, unless they have just experienced some sort of a tragedy. These days we live in such a fast paced, high tech world which makes it so easy to get caught up in the superficial aspects of the daily grind. Somewhere along the line we've lost sight of the things that are truly important.
This profound book reminds all of us what life is really all about. I found myself extremely emotional throughout this entire story. Days later I found myself still humbled by the contents of "The Legacy Letters".
For everyone reading this review, I implore you to take a deep breath, calm your mind and give yourself time to read this incredible story. I also think this book should be a required read for all high school students.
Stephanie Lasley, from The Kindle Book Review
The Kindle Book Review received a free copy of this book for an independent, fair, and honest review. We are not associated with the author or Amazon.
on December 11, 2013
This book is going to have a significant impact on me personally, and I've found a lot of the letters to be comforting. As a young twenty-year-old, I have found these letters offer not only relief and joy but hold valuable wisdom and guidance that is useful at any point during a lifetime. Personally, I have found comfort in some of the letters as a reminder that things will be fine when dealing with the stress and anxiety of “the real world.” There is sound advice when dealing with subjects such as money, work, companionship, love, and personal growth.

This book is a book for life. I think every young person should read it, because it is something I know I will find myself going back to when I’m in a rut or just can’t deal with certain situations that make me question existence and maybe myself. It offers the truth of what it means to be a man, advice on how to treat a lady, the importance of keeping your word, and other useful bits of information that I find will help aid and inform a young person down the rocky road of life.

However, this book is not solely great for its advice, but it is also entertaining for avid readers. It is full of tasteful metaphors and creative imagery. It offers the warmth of relaxation and relief, and the light but also serious view we should have about ourselves and humanity. It holds the key to what it takes to develop into a respectful, caring, and wise adult, and nearly every positive aspect of what it means to be human can be found here. This book has and will continue to have a profound impact on me, and it is a book I know I will find myself going back to throughout my life, regardless of my age.
on June 11, 2013
Good Morning, Dear Ones!

I just finished reading "The Legacy Letters", and "The Legacy Letters *Complete*" (514 pages) written by our friend, Carew Papritz, who is the husband of my darling former employer in Green Valley, AZ, Dawnie Kildoo, DDS, MAGD.

You HAVE to read this book! I plan to give this book to everyone I know! It is the perfect gift for any occasion; Father's Day, birthdays, Graduation, Christmas, or just treat yourself to a delightful and uplifting read!

This is such an important book. Each letter stands alone. I think they would be great bedtime stories. I also think it would be an important gift for anyone who has grown up without a Father for whatever reason; divorce, service in the military, prison, death...or maybe you had a father who just didn't know how to put his thoughts and feelings into words.

Imagine all of the life lessons that you would want to teach your children, all of the things you wish your father had told you, all the things you wish you had time to write down. Carew has done it for us. These stories, told through the eyes of a cowboy poet, are filled with universal truths, brimming with good advice, thoughtful words of wit and wisdom, spiced with humor and humanity, filled with rich visual descriptions of the grace and beauty of our natural world and so much pure love for his wife and children.

After reading some of the letters together with my husband, he remarked, "Carew says everything I feel."

If you only buy one book this year, let it be "The Legacy Letters". It is a brilliant and endearing work of heart!

Linda