Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon King easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now Sale

on March 27, 2012
I have been playing off and on for over 30 years. When I started out, a guitar of this quality was probably $400-$500 at least.

This is a China-made Strat knockoff of 3 piece alder. The grain is not matched perfectly, but at this price I'm not complaining. Finish itself is nicely done, and the body is smooth and well contoured like a strat should be.

Tuners are decent quality. Probably on par with a Squier. Toggle switch is solid, and well defined when switching between positions. Bridge saddles are pot metal. Bridge itself is a vintage tremelo with 2 spring system. In my opinion, that's the weak link in the hardware. 3 single coil pickups with plenty of twang on bridge. Neck pickup sounds surprisingly good. Not too muddy and good crunch when dirtied up. Knobs and pickguard are typical at this price point and are fine. Nut is plastic--again typical.

The neck is a nice fairly fast maple, with highly polished rosewood fretboard. Frets are medium jumbo, and very similar to a Squier. Frets were well finished and level. Playability was very good out of the box, and intonation and action required minimal setup. The neck is probably the best part of this guitar. It's excellent quality for the money.

Overall--GREAT beginner guitar, and better than many at twice the price. I was very pleasantly surprised at the quality. I would not go so far as to say this is a $399 guitar, but it's certainly in the Squier neighborhood as far as quality.
review image
0Comment84 of 85 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 2, 2011
The Legacy guitars are great, they are comparable to Fender's Squier at a fraction of the price! The guitar has a solid feel but does not make your back hurt after playing a while. The neck is smoothe and easy to play on (unlike most guitars that i have encontured at this price point). The tremolo bridge stays in tune well while playing with the whammy bar, which is great. The pickups do what theyre supposed to, give you that single coil blues rock sound. To wrap it up, the Legacy guitars are so worth the buy, wether youre new to guitars and need a great instrument to start out on, or youre a seasoned player and want a great, but cheap guitar to travle with; either way the Legacy guitars are fantastic!
0Comment35 of 38 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 10, 2013
This guitar is a little gem at the ORIGINAL $100 price. I have bought, fixed, upgraded and sold many guitars over the years and this one represents really good value for anyone looking for a starter guitar or a good base to begin an upgrade.

First of all, the components with the exception of the tremolo are pretty much the same dimension as the beloved Mexican strat. Tuners are a cheap version of adjustable Schallers with the earhole at 45 degrees, pickguard is 11-point standard footprint and rest of electronics are OK. Nut is a flat-bottom plastic, which can easily be upgraded. Wood finish is about what you would expect in a $100 guitar.

Many folks will be OK with the guitar out of the box, but it can be so much better for just a little more effort. The seller DOES provide much more of the information and tooling you need to set this instrument up to your liking than most domestic makes.

The workers who put these together in the factories overseas have probably never played a guitar, so some allowance and adjustments have to be expected, especially considering that you are paying just 10% of the price for a USA-made instrument. Mine was delivered with an untightened truss rod and tuning keys that were loose. As well, the sides of the frets were a little rough, probably due to expansion/contraction of the neck during shipment via ocean container. This is not uncommon even in more expensive domestic maple necks.

I spent about 30 minutes addressing these adjustments, put a fresh set of strings on and now have an axe that plays as well as any Mexican strat.

At the end of April 2013, after I bought a second one, pricing went up by about $40 per unit for a short while thus making me re-evaluate my review, but now that pricing is even more reasonable, I am even more enthusiastic about the product.
on March 6, 2012
Ordered this about two months ago. It was shipped quickly, and arrived packaged well. Just plainly an excellent guitar. It sounds beautiful, looks great and is just shocking quality for its price. As a beginner, I'm proud to be learning on this baby, and I recommend it to anyone doing the same- although I'm sure this guitar is as great for the experienced as it is for the newbies.
on November 6, 2011
I figured I'd buy a cheap second guitar, so I found this one. One of the cheapest prices on Amazon. And I thought wow, what a great look this guitar has. I was also hoping that it played well. Well I've been playing it for a while and it still sounds pretty good, and I've had no technical issues what so ever. I would recommend to ANYONE. Keep up the good work! =)
on January 10, 2012
I received the guitar today and I ordered last friday. The shipping was excelent, very quickly and was pretty impressed with it. For the price is a great value. It looks beautiful and sounds great. For an amateur like me, it will be a pleasure learn to play it. Highly recommended....
0Comment13 of 16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 1, 2013
I have the Fender LT HHS American version of this. I bought this and added two more springs. If you know of a young guitarists who needs a guitar buy this one...ONLY if you know how make a few minor adjustments. Well worth the price!!!
on March 30, 2012
i bought this guitar to learn on,, when i recieved it i was impressed with the quality of the guitar and prompt delivery.Great deal for the price i would recomend it to anyone of any skill
on January 21, 2012
1. If you are totally a beginner and have nothing to begin with, get this guitar and a Vox amplug AC30. Use it with your headphones or home speakers.
2. Don't upgrade until your skills improved and you become a mid level. Prepare $1000 for a tube amp and a good guitar with brand name pickups for upgrade. If your budget is below that, don't bother and save more.

Speak from experience, I've tried a lot and did many research. This guitar with amplug just sound amazing! Plus, it can be your forever play around set which you will be happy with and bring them out. Guitars and amps below $400, yes there are good stuff, but you're more likely to get problematic things that will be replace by better things latter. For a budget around $1000, if you don't go professional, you will be happy with them forever. So do yourself a favor, one shot, no waste of time and money.

This guitar is good enough for any beginners. Most under $400 guitars don't have good pickups, so why spend extra money? (Again, my bloody experience taught me that.I've spent time and money, way more than $1000) Free advice.

I strongly recommend this guitar, it has no fault towards its price.
on February 28, 2013
This guitar is of very good quality for the money, but with just a couple of upgrades it could keep company with the big boys!! First I suggest putting new quality strings on it, the ones on it when it came were pretty crappy! you may need to tweak the pickup height just a little and possibly adjust string height but after that you should be good to go! The finish on this thing is beautiful! With just a little money on some good tuners and possibly upgraded pickups you would have a guitar on the same level as a Fender mim strat in my opinion, but for a third of the price!!