Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Legend of Drizzt Boxed Set, Books I-III (Set 1, Bks. 1-3)
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

VINE VOICEon September 1, 2010
It's not every day that you manage to pick up a book that you don't want to put down. Well, if you're searching, here's a set of 3. This is an example of one of the most superb writing styles that I have ever encountered. There is a masterful balance of action, adventure, and character/plot development that is rare to see. Typically, heavy action detracts from everything else, but not here.The characters are so well described and developed that they practically come to life.

The books take place in the Forgotten Realms, a world for Dungeons and Dragons. You don't have to be a gamer to read and enjoy this trilogy although, if you are familiar with the world, you'll have that much more description going in.

This series starts from the nitty gritty beginning with the birth of Drizzt Do'Urden, one of the most famous characters in Forgotten Realms. A drow (dark elf) by birth, he is born with strange lavender eyes and a good, moral heart that is extremely rare amongst his kin. In drow society, males are subservient to females so he is already at a disadvantage due to his gender. As the time goes by and he is exposed more and more to the evils and brutality of his kin and their evil deity, the Spider Queen Lolth, he realizes that he will never fit in with them. Eventually, he decides to leave the underground Drow city of Menzoberranzan and all of the evil that is there, much to the dismay of his family. When he figures out that his fellow Drow will never stop pursuing him, he decides to travel to the surface.

Throughout you get to really see the internal workings of Drizzt and his turmoil and struggles with his heritage as well as his desire to fit in with those on the surface that fear him for being what he is. If you enjoy fantasy, I am quite sure that once you pick this set up you won't put it down until you are done or you are in desperate need of food.
on June 8, 2012
The boxed set looks very nice, with Todd Lockwood's art shining through. At around $8 per paperback book, this boxed set is a true value. In fact I already owned Homeland, but figured that the price for all three was the same as the last two books anyway. I gave the extra copy to my son.

For anyone interested in a Drizzt collection, but are on a budget, the Legend of Drizzt boxed sets are perfect for you! The actual Legend series only goes up to the Paths of Darkness books, however there are still other value boxed sets for The Hunter's Blades Trilogy and Transitions.

This trilogy is a must-read for any Drizzt fans who haven't read them yet. Reading about where he came from and the trials he overcame to reach the surface, while maintaining his values, truly puts his character in perspective in later novels.

Anyone who has not yet picked up a Drizzt book should start with Homeland and work their way up.

We get to see the evil and deceitful ways of the drow society, and why everyone on the surface is so weary to see one such as Drizzt Do'Urden wandering around. We also see the trials of racism and stereotyping that the hero comes to face on the surface world.

*SPOILER ALERT*
I wish Salvatore would have allowed more expansion in Drizzt and Zaknafein's relationship instead of killing Zak off right away once they make amends. But, it is his story and his to dictate. This is merely an expansion of my own imagination that I crave!
on May 30, 2007
The Icewind Dale comics were at a local comic book store and, when I did some checking, I saw the original Dark Elf Trilogy was already done. I picked these up and read them in about a day. I have been a reader of R.A. Salvatore's for years and these are extremely true to the books. Some of the side adventures are cut, reasonably so due to space constraints, but the story is solid and there is nothing lacking.

I plan to purchase the Icewind Dale series when it is completed.
on December 29, 2012
I've read these books at least 3-4 times, always been a Salvatore/Drizzt fan. While the first three books in the series are pretty good it's the next three that are the best. These however give a background and really should be read. The content in the books gets 4 stars, but the actual books are tiny! They are like shrunken mini books with little tiny type. Cheap yes, but also hard to hold and read. spend the few extra bucks and get the better quality versions
on December 14, 2012
I entered this series through the Thousand Orcs trilogy, quite a bit down the road of where it all started. I enjoyed that arc immensely and wanted to discover the rest of the adventure, so I looked for where it all began. The first books are shorter than those in Thousand Orcs, but the story-telling is still finely polished and the battle descriptions are detailed and action packed exactly in the way that pulled me in, in the first place.

I definitely recommend this series if you're into Dungeons and Dragons styled fantasy adventure, being an endless supply of interesting, well detailed characters who fit nicely into their particular races and of course, grueling, bloody combat against impossible odds. The first three books are almost entirely in the realm of the Underdark, (The world entirely underground) which is something I was very curious about when reading the Thousand Orcs trilogy. Menzoberranzan, city of the Drow is the main setting for the series, though you can expect a wide description of all that is the Underdark as you progress throughout the story.

I'm now into the 4th book of the series, and still going strong. Happy Reading!
on October 24, 2010
Even though these three books are not the first three that Salvatore wrote about the iconic dark elf, it's a great place to start since they actually are the chronological beginning to the Drizzt series. This trilogy is the origin story of Drizzt and can be dark at times. One thing is for sure, you will get sucked in and want to read everything Salvatore has ever written! I'm a fan :-)

-Ed Caggiani, Translator of Tracks and Horizons: 26 Countries on a Motorcycle
on June 18, 2012
This is one of my very favorite fantasy series, so I knew what I was getting as far as the contents of the books. But I was pleasantly surprised with how nice the little box/case was. Each side is the cover art from one of the three books inside, and like all of the art used for Salvatore's books, it is exquisite in detail.

As for the books themselves, Salvatore is one of the best in his genre, and they are a delight to read. The battle scenes come alive in your mind, and you connect with the protagonists as though you had known them forever.
on August 12, 2012
If you are looking to get wrapped up in a series of books that you cant put down until they are done then this is a good place to start. Salvatore spins quite the yarn in this epic tale of a an exceptional Dark Elf warrior and his struggle against the dark society he was born into and ultimately his his exile and search for meaning in life.

Anyone who enjoys reading fantasy novels will quickly take to these stories.
on January 24, 2010
I loved how the books came in this little box set making it easy to ship to my husband in Iraq. He loved it too. I will definitely be purchasing the next box set for him when he is done reading this one.
on December 10, 2012
At first the "dark" feel to the books. (no pun intended) was a little offputting for my tastes...but that soon vanished and I found myself intrigued by his character, appalled by the lifestyle he grew up in, and overall wrapped up in the story of where it all began.

I had heard the hype about Drizzt for so long that I had to see what it was all about...I wasn't disappointed.

I'm writing this review several months after I read this boxed set and am well into the books beyond...but I always fall back to the beginning, I still have the images in my head of the characters played in the book...the gnomes, the underdark, the horrors and the "dare to be different" Drizzt.

Great read, highly recommended. All they hype I questioned for so long...I understand now.