I Am Legend (Ultimate Collector's Edition) [Blu-ray]
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Top Customer Reviews
The plague that wipes out Robert Neville's world is never fully explained, simply inferred to be the result of some sort of failed cure for cancer. Gone from the novel and the original Vincent Price classic, The Last Man on Earth, is the long struggle of Neville to save his ill daughter, his wife's tranformation, and the shocking actions of the US government to contain the plague. What it left is simply one man, alone trying to maintain his sanity and hopelessly searching for a cure to a disease that has already wiped humanity off the face of the earth and left the "survivors" as rabid vampiric horrors. It's sad, it's pathetic, and it's perfectly human. Will Smith has a penchant for picking terrible, schmaltzy films to star in, but no one can deny his talent and charisma as a leading man. Naturally, this is a film he must carry single-handedly and he does an awesome job of it; he's dramatic, he's relateable, and at times, he is funny.Read more ›
Here we have a brilliant beginning; footage of a scientist (played beautifully by Emma Thompson) saying humbly that she's discovered a way to cure cancer. Fast forward a few years, and New York is utterly devoid of human life, save for Robert Neville (Will Smith). As the first half of the film progresses, we learn about his meager living, spending the day harvesting and trying to discover a cure, even now, while spending the night huddled in his protected home as creatures prowl.
His only companion, a wonderful dog named Sam, protects Neville as Neville protects him. They have a friendship based on loneliness and the human need for someone or something to hold onto. Sam is Neville's only connection to the past and the only way to represent what little humanity is left, either in the world or Neville himself. This period in the movie is pitch perfect, puncuated by one or two terrifying sequences that instill genuine horror.
Unfortunately, the last half of the film deteriorates into an action movie that completely changes the meaning of the words "I Am Legend." Don't get me wrong, it's mostly done really well. Constantine director Francis Lawrence has a good handle on the action and delivers some good scenes. But, it becomes muddled and veers off completely from the novel. My biggest complaint, though, is the use of CGI. Instead of using real flesh and blood actors, all of the creatures are created with CG and they look incredibly fake when lined up next to real people.Read more ›
I can't bear to rehash the plot as nearly everyone knows this story by now, and if you are one of the few unfamiliar with this story, then please read Amazon's well-written synopsis or Trashcanman's excellent review in the Spotlight review section. I just plan to hit what I enjoyed about this film and what was so disappointing.
(1) Another top-notch, winning performance by the ever reliable and likable Will Smith.
(2) Outstanding set designs combined with CGI effects of a desolate and abandoned New York City make this film seem more important than it is.
(3) Best adaptation of Matheson's highly influential novel (even if it isn't the most faithful to the story in a literal sense --it captures the spirit of his work extremely well).
(1) The most glaring problem with this film, in my view, is the CGI effects for the vampire-like survivors of the plague. They are too cartoonish for me and appear far too much like video game villains. A good example of this for me is the early scene where Smith's character enters a building to get his dog and finds some zombies hiding in a corner. They are real people, not CGI, and they are frightening; however, later, when he's attacked by CGI zombies, it is unintentionally humorous as they appear like Gollum from LOTR on acid. The CGI effects are either not believable or just too over-the-top, thus, the scenes with them lose their punch.
(2) Uneven pacing of the story is a problem here.Read more ›
Most Recent Customer Reviews
I love this movie. I just don't understand why the poor dog had to die.Published 3 days ago by Janka G. Smith
I've watched this movie so many times and I still love it (both endings are great). Not only is the handsome Will Smith starring in this post-apocalyptic movie, but I love the... Read morePublished 5 days ago by CrystallineTulip
Was slightly disappointed. The trailer was misleading. Should have been rated R due to the rabid, infected humans and the violence in the movie.Published 12 days ago by Ty
|Topic||From this Discussion|
|Anybody having problems with the I Am Legend HD DVD??||
Did you update your firmware?
Apr 30, 2008 by S. Lee | See all 8 posts
|Difference between 1 and 2-disc editions?||
I don't know if you'll ever see this, but the alternate theatrical version has a different ending.
It's maybe 7 minutes, and I can't even begin to explain how much more sense it makes than the 'original' ending. During the final 20 minutes of the movie, you have a pretty good idea of what is... Read More
Jun 5, 2008 by SXT | See all 4 posts
|What is the "digital copy"?||
are you shure there is a digital copy on this movie because every other websites said nothing about it and for now digital copies are only on 20th century fox movies
Mar 24, 2008 by D. Pacelli | See all 11 posts
|Playstation 3 Region Coding question!!!||
PlayStation 3 games are region free, but Blu-Ray movies are region encoded.The US is Region A encoded, and the UK is Region B encoded. I'm not sure if there's a way to bypass region coding, but Google may be able to tell ya!
Mar 19, 2008 by Skylar C. Scaling | See all 8 posts
|Why the delay?||
It is delayed mainly because Warner doesn't want HD-Dvd to take away sales from DVD and Blu-Ray. It is the same month delay with all of Warners remaining HD-Dvd releases unfortunately.
Mar 11, 2008 by Mideel | See all 7 posts
|item under review?||Be the first to reply|
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Look for Similar Items by Category
- Movies & TV > Blu-ray
- Movies & TV > Blu-ray > Movies
- Movies & TV > Fully Loaded DVDs > Ultimate Collector's Editions
- Movies & TV > Fully Loaded DVDs > Ultimate Editions
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Action & Adventure
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Drama
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Mystery & Thrillers
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Science Fiction
- Movies & TV > Movies
- Movies & TV > Science Fiction & Fantasy
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Warner Home Video > Action & Adventure
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Warner Home Video > All Titles
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Warner Home Video > Drama
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Warner Home Video > Horror
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Warner Home Video > Sci-Fi & Fantasy