5.0 out of 5 stars This is how it should be done., September 6, 2010
This review is from: Legends of the Dark Crystal Volume 2: Trial by Fire (Jim Henson's Legends of the Dark Crystal) (Paperback)
As far as American manga is concerned, Legends of the Dark Crystal (I speak for both book 1 and 2 of this mini-series) is the best example of it to date. The art and the story was brilliant and i enjoyed it immensely. Its a far cry from the other series Tokyopop released for another Jim Henson creation, Labyrinth, which disappointed me greatly for its poor art and lackluster story. This one though, is polished, professional and is exactly what i envisioned a story from The Dark Crystal to be. A lot of care was put into this book and i would recommend it to any fan of The Dark Crystal movie.

5.0 out of 5 stars I think Mr. Jim Henson would have been proud of this mini series., August 22, 2011
Long story short, this is book #2 of the two part legends storyline that is based on the late Jim Henson's fantasy movie classic, "The Dark Crystal".

At first I thought "Trial by Fire" would never be made. The gap between first book and this one was roughly 3 years! When I finally got it and finished the book I was kind of a little peeved and glad. I heard in a interview that they had enough ideas for this book series to reach 12 volumes, but it seems they had to rush and finish up Lahr and Neffi's storyline in one book. (Which I am happy for, there is nothing worse than an unfinished story).I blame Tokyo Pop and the Henson Co. for not marketing these books enough to get them across to mainstream comic book readers. (more sales means more volumes, yes?)

All in all, this is a fun miniseries that no Dark Crystal fan should miss out on.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely, May 7, 2011
Great book, wonderful series. I have been a fan of the dark crystal ever since I first watched it when I was only 4 years old. I'm in my 30's today. Thi books are beyond that of what my expectations we're! They help boost the movie, the artwork is splendid. The story plot is Perfect. A must have for any good fan of the movie. I can't wait for power of the dark crystal (new movie) to be.completed & hope it's as good as the tokyopop series & original movie.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice read, August 31, 2010
This was a better read than I thought it was going to be. My biggest complaint was the lack of color. I didn't know this existed until recently. I only hope the movie when it finally comes out is close to as good as this is.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book!, August 17, 2010
I've this book today,and I love it! The Skeksis are great ( even if some of them are a bit different from their looks on the film)!.We can see Aughra and some Mystics here too.
It's a pity they aren't to make 3 volumes at it was planned !

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Stuff, August 6, 2010
I purchased this book as a present for my girlfriend. We are both Dark Crystal fans. The artwork is amazing and the story is very interesting however, if you are looking for books that follows the movie you might want to look elsewhere.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book!, October 10, 2013
Great condition! It's exactly what I wanted and more. I'm in the writing competition so I needed this reference material.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Story, October 8, 2013
The journey continues and the story draws readers further into the characters, their plight and their ultimate triumph. Great Read!

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Condition - Very Satisfied, September 9, 2013
I bought the book because I needed to do some research on the expanded mythology of The Dark Crystal and I was very happy with this purchase. Nicely drawn too.

4.0 out of 5 stars less epic, July 31, 2013
I loved the first volume in this series. It was essentially a remake of Kurosawa's Seven Samurai, with a hero teaching villagers to defend themselves. Volume 2 continues right from Volume 1. However, I didn't quite enjoy it as much as the first one.

The story loses a bit of its epic flavor. It's not a simple tale of survival, but rather Lahr goes to the Skeksis castle to rescue his Gelfling friends. A large portion of the story follows the Skeksis' internal politics. While it's sometimes neat to see more of the Skeksis and how they behave, it didn't feel like Dark Crystal anymore. Dark Crystal is a fantasy epic and Dark Crystal stories work best when they tell big, epic stories. Too often this comic seems bogged in the minutiae of Skeksis politics or it convoluted plots. Also, the outcome seems a bit inconsistent with the movie.

I still do like the characters of Lahr and Neffi. The Gelfling villagers make a good ensemble cast. There are definitely parts of this comic that are a fun read. Overall, I'd give it 3.5 stars.

Used & New from: $8.46