Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon The Jayhawks Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Luxury Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer seeso seeso seeso  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now STEM

Format: Hardcover|Change

on October 8, 2013
Wow. A truly beautiful creation. As a long time, (40year old) admirer of most of the artists in this book I was able to get an even deeper insight and learn things about them that I had never known before. The illustrations and the overall design are stunning. And just when I thought it couldn't get any better there are two CD's with 27 songs by all the featured artists in the book. I plan on re-discovering one artist a week with my 8year old son. I've pored over the amazon page closely and don't see a track listing so for those who are curious this is the breakdown.

Disc 1
1.) Chuck Berry - "Johnny B. Goode"
2.) Johnny Cash - "Get Rhythm"
3.) Aretha Franklin - "I Say a Little Prayer"
4.) The Beatles - "Here Comes the Sun"
5.) Louis Armstrong - "What a Wonderful World"
6.) Bob Marley - Three Little Birds"
7.) Buddy Holly - "Peggy Sue"
8.) Joni Mitchell - "The Circle Game"
9.) Ray Charles & The Raelettes - "Hit the Road Jack"
10.) Elvis Presley - "Hound Dog"
11.) Curtis Mayfield & The Impressions - "People Get Ready"
12.) Billie Holiday & Her Orchestra - "let's Call the whole Thing Off"

Disc 2
1.) Little Richard - "Lucille"
2.) Hank Williams - "Jambalaya (On the Bayou)"
3.) Frank Sinatra - "Fly Me To the Moon"
4.) Marvin Gaye - "I Heard It Through the Grapevine"
5.) Carole King - "So Far Away"
6.) Sam Cooke - "Wonderful World"
7.) Louis Jordan - "Caldonia"
8.) The Beach Boys - "In My Room"
9.) Ella Fitzgerald - "A-Tisket, A-Tasket"
10.) James Brown - "I Got You (I Feel Good)"
11.) Patsy Cline - "Crazy"
12.) Otis Redding - "That's How Strong My Love Is"
13.) Nat King Cole - "It's Only a Paper Moon"
14.) Stevie Wonder - "Signed, Sealed, Delivered I'm Yours"
15.) Bob Dylan - "Forever Young"
33 comments|69 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 10, 2013
Regardless of age, this book would have been great for just the artists' profiles (written so that children might be introduced to these great artists). Each artist has a full-page portrait, original art done by remarkable artists and suitable for framing (I can imagine postcards and posters to accompany -- I'd purchase them.) The book is large-format and the printing quality is first-rate. Eye-popping. The fact that you also get two CDs with essential cuts from each artist makes this the book of the year -- perhaps the book of the decade. The CDs are worth the purchase price alone. I hope a volume 2 is in the works!
on October 8, 2013
I can't rave enough about this book. From the thought behind it, to the writing, the artwork...the music included... Fantastic. Such a great team of authors and artists behind it, to boot. It may be marketed towards kids and youth, but it is definitely an education for many of us "grown ups" as well. Can't praise it enough.

Buy it for your little ones, for YOURSELF, for your children's classroom and/or library, for gifts...I can't wait for the additional volumes that I hope and pray are in the works. ;) For now I'll be pouring over the lush pages again and again, all while relishing in the well thought out compilation of accompanying tunes.

Thanks for this, gents - keep 'em comin'! :)
on October 13, 2013
Legends, Icons & Rebels: Music That Changed the World
Legends, Rebels & Icons is a visually stunning glimpse at 27 artists who created and impacted modern music. It is a children's coffee table book for ages 9-99 covering a portion of the history of modern music with 2 CDs of music added in to augment the multi-layered visuals and rich text written by Robbie Robertson, Jim Guerinot, Sebastian Robertson and Jared Levine. All four of the authors have strong links to the music industry and at times, personal connections to the content with deep, insights into the twenty-seven biographies. They are music industry insiders and not simply biographers, who have a knowledge of and passion for music and the content of this book. This is a work that is designed to lead children especially into the history of modern music through 2 page summaries of artists' career highlights with 2 pages of illustrations that are rich, varied, multi-layered, and meaningful. It is a winner on so many levels!

As an educator, I would use Legends, Rebels & Icons as a resource when teaching modern music history, media studies, visual art as well as the writing of biographies in English. There are so much useful examples on many levels of appreciation in this beautiful volume of work.
on October 12, 2013
I have been looking for a beautiful representation of music history that is palatable to my children for a long time. Even if I didn't have children I would purchase this book for myself and my husband because not only do you get sweet gems of music history, you get the most awesome and unique illustrations. In addition, you get two CD's with the accompanying music - all of which any music lover would love. It's not just for the music lover though. It's also for those who want to be easily acclimated to some of the music greats of all time. It's no surprise that this list of writers would do a supreme job considering their background, but at least for me, it surpassed expectation. LOVE IT!!!
on October 31, 2013
What a fabulous book! It's a coffee table edition with enclosed CDs of the remastered recordings, wonderful drawings and the editorial info/historical data about the artists is insightful and complete. Robbie Robertson and his son have done their homework, for sure. What a perfect gift for the holiday season ahead, especially for all music fans of any generation.
on October 11, 2013
My sister bought this book for her kids and, although I just jumped into it with them, I've already found it to be so refreshing. I'm not a parent yet but this is the kind of gift that would help me maintain my role as the "cool aunt". It's fun to go through and learn about all the bands even as the adult more familiar with their work already. The kids love it and it's such a fun way to connect them to the music my parents forced me to listen to as a child. Definitely an awesome purchase when you realize your kids may be past the fuzzy caterpillars and teddy bears stage of their education.
on October 13, 2013
I have finally found a way to introduce a life long love of music to my children and other children in my life. I love all kinds of music, but I've been deliberating on how to give my kids a fun point of reference on the roots of it all - after literally years of searching - here it is! This is the perfect Holiday gift as well. It's just a beautiful and poetic presentation with anecdotes that I've never heard before. I hope there will be more volumes to follow!!
on October 10, 2013
I am blown away by this book! It's well written, beautifully illustrated, and the accompanying CDs are icing on the cake. It will be an excellent holiday/birthday gift for music lovers of all ages. I recommend highly.
on November 16, 2013
This book is beautiful and great resource for teaching your child about the roots and history of rock and roll and popular music. The Illustrations are wonderful and the stories are telling and doesn't white wash over struggles and hardships that these musicians have faced. My only gripe, where the hell was Woody Guthrie?! The history stops right at 1968, I hope Robbie Robertson and crew do a series going into the 70s, 80s, and 90s or expanding the addition to incude those they wanted to include but had to leave out. Again very great book, I love the CDs it comes with, and I cannot wait unitl my son is old enough to pick this book off the shelf and page through it.

This is a must have for library collections, music and history teachers and rock and roll mommies and daddies everywhere.