Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Lego Battles: Ninjago - Nintendo DS
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Adele Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro STEM

on April 13, 2011
First of all, this is NOT a standard Lego game--anyone who reads the description should know this. It is described as a real-time strategy (RTS) game and that label is slightly more accurate. However, the game is not very similar to Lego Battles, which is closer to what you would expect for RTS--in the older Lego Battles game, you would have to build farms to support a population and then choose whether your people would be soldiers, builders, etc.; the prior game was obviously geared towards children and was good for teaching resource management and strategy. In this newer Ninjago game, there is less strategy involved. In the warrior class, you can only have one of each type so there isn't much room for choosing how to deploy your forces. You just have to make sure to collect enough bricks to build as many individual ninjas as you can. The game is also somewhat unbalanced--it seems impossible to beat some levels unless you equip special "red bricks" with power-ups like "regenerating health" but then the battles can often go from impossible to too easy. The battles can also be somewhat action-oriented--there are some where the only way to survive appears to be running around avoiding swarms of re-spawning enemies until the timer runs out (at which point, they stop re-spawning and you can gradually eliminate them).

Parents: the paragraph above should tell you whether this the game you think it is and whether your child will like it. It is NOT like Lego Batman, Star Wars, etc. Consider yourselves warned.

People who liked the first Lego Battles: you may find this version disappointing. I liked the first game and wish that this game retained more of the RTS flavor. There is more story to this game and it is still fun, though. I just wish there was more room to build different weapons and such--I miss the dragons, catapults, ships, etc. I am about 75% of the way through the story mode and will update this, if there are new things to build in the last chapters of the game. By the way, you no longer have to collect those annoying blue studs--there are currency studs everywhere and you just need enough per level to get the "true ninja" status.
11 comment|64 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 6, 2011
My son loves all things Lego, so we try pretty much every Lego game that comes out. He says this game is a lot like Lego Battles, and equally if not more fun. Lego Battles and Ninjago are games of strategy and planning, they are not at all like Lego Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Harry Potter, etc. where you collect points and bricks. When my son was younger he loved those games, but as he's gotten older he enjoys the Lego Strategy games better, and I think they are better geared towards older kids. If your child liked Lego Battles they will probably like Ninjago. If not, I wouldn't get this, or wait until they are older.
on June 28, 2011
If you have a lego lover in your house, than they will definitely need this! My 10 and 8 year old boys love this game. It also feed their desire to play with the Ninjago figures as a game instead of just using them as role=playing figures. We were very happy with this game and are definitely getting our money's worth!
on September 12, 2012
This game could be the greatest game ever made, but its to complicated, and shouldn't be marketed/targeted or to my 5 year old, or probably any child under the age of 10 or 12...

After seeing the commercial during the Ninjago Cartoon, my kid had to have this for his birthday. This game has the Rated E on the front, which I thought would make it playable for all ages, much like Lego's other games that can be played by younger audiences, Lego Star Wars, Lego Batman, etc... Its not, After purchasing and then reading some other reviews... its a RTS- Real Time Strategy game, a thinking, actionless and slow paced game, not a run around button masher like smaller kids CAN play.

So again, it could be the greatest game ever made, but it shouldn't have been Branded with the Lego Ninjago Brand, which smaller children will really want to play... but simply can not understand

Hope this review helps Parents with children in the 5 to 10 or 12 age range from purchasing this
on April 15, 2011
this game may contain Ninjas, Dragons, and Skeletons but make no mistake, this is a RTS (Real Time Strategy) game... the use of one's brain is required. if your kid dreams of becoming an architect or is interested in leadership, this title is worth checking out.
on April 1, 2012
My five year old loves Ninjago, and this one looks exciting based on the cover art and description. Wow, couldn't have been more wrong. They should warn you not to buy this for kids under 12. Someone should inform the game designers that the brand is Lego Ninjago, not Starcraft. Why they would turn a product aimed at little kids into a convoluted RTS game is beyond me. It's like buying a Smurfs game and finding out it has the rules and mechanics of Civilization. I can't imagine this game would be fun even for older kids... I played for ten minutes and wanted to throw my DS in the garbage. $25 down the drain and a highly disappointed kid. Thanks for nothing Nintendo and Hellbent Games.
44 comments|37 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 29, 2011
Santa brought this game for Christmas as requested. He got a Ninjago lego set for this Birthday and was so excited at first.

There is a lot of reading and fowling instructions which is too advanced for him. He is not a strong reader yet and tried to play by skipping over the pop up dialog parts, it doesn't work. This is not a game in which you have to travel from one level to the next like Mario or Monster tail. Unless your child has someone to read and direct him while they play, I would wait until they were at least 12 or 13 years old.
Even trying to help him play didn't help much. I think he has played it less than 5 minutes and is not interested in giving it another chance. I agree with the other parents who didn't like this game either. Not fun and very frustrating for my child
on December 8, 2015
This is a very good and challenging game that my son enjoys very much. I played the game myself on a couple of occasions and found the levels to be fairly challenging. I am by no means a game expert so take that with a grain of salt. Overall, for kids and casual gamers like myself, this is a well designed game.
on March 1, 2013
I purchased this game for my 6 year old nephew for Christmas and he loves it. He had been asking for it for awhile and he has been playing it regularly. He doesn't have any problems trying to navigate his way through the game at all and doesn't become frustrated.
on March 17, 2015
My 5-year-old is a big Ninjago fan, so he seems to like this game. Somebody has to help him read it, but he seems motivated by games like this to want to learn to read. He could just click through it without understanding everything and get to the fighting parts just fine, but he wants to know what it says and understand the storyline so he asks me to read the reading parts to him.