Published on June 15, 2009 by Jorge R. Alvear MD

3.0 out of 5 stars Good beginner tactical game
Published on May 20, 2012 by C. Orr

5.0 out of 5 stars Not like Lego Batman or Star Wars but a mini real time strategy game perfect for young kids...., June 15, 2009
Jorge R. Alvear MD (Duluth, GA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lego Battles - Nintendo DS (Video Game)
I bought this game for my six year old son, who has played the Lego Batman and Star Wars games and enjoyed them tremendously. The previous reviewer is correct, this is a different game, but it is enjoyable in its own right. You have 90 levels to complete, each with items to find (minikit pieces, blue Legos) and as you find stuff and complete levels you unlock other items or levels. This is basically a mini RTS (real time strategy) game for kids, I would suggest at least six years of age. You have builders who can make you farms (to sustain population), towers (for defense), shipyards, castles (to make your kings/wizards/etc), barracks (to make soldiers), and so on. Each level sees goals that when completed usually lead to new goals. Once you have completed a level you can stay there looking for items you still have not found or you can go on to the next level. I helped my son a bit with the first few levels but he picked it up quickly and he loves the game. So do not expect another DS Batman, but instead this is a fantastic game in its own right.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally -- a solid Real-Time-Strategy game for the DS, June 15, 2009
This review is from: Lego Battles - Nintendo DS (Video Game)
First, what it's not. Lego Battles is not just another Lego shoot-em-up game for the DS. Your six year old will probably hate it, if they aren't willing to learn how to play real-time strategy games. This isn't a game where you run around shooting things. This is a game where you build cities, control soldiers, builders, heroes, etc. Is it fun? absolutely.

This game feels like Warcraft 2 for the DS, which is a compliment. It's a great RTS with Castles, Barracks, Farms, soldiers, kings, workers, etc. It has some of the more "advanced" RTS controls, things like build queues, rally points, etc., which we've come to expect from games like Total Annihilation, Supreme Commander, and others.

I have really enjoyed this game because it fills a void: the missing RTS for the DS. I've looked around, but hadn't found anything good in this genre on the DS. Lego Battles allows you to strategically build cities, plan battles, etc. My only complaint is that some of the early campaigns are very easy. I wish there were a way to increase the difficulty. That said, it's an outstanding game. Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lego Ages of Empire, June 15, 2009
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Lego Battles - Nintendo DS (Video Game)
This game is a stradegy game much like Ages of Empires, but a little more easier to use.
The sound effects and graphics are consitant with the other lego games and there are many cute mini movies.
You basically deploy your Lego men to do different tasks like build a farm, Castle, military post... etc and build men to fight and defend them from attcking enimies. There is a mini campaign in the game and a built in tutorial and also free play.
I do admit it is hard for younger players and it is nothing like the other lego games like the Starwars, Batman, and Indian Jones. I had my 7 year old try it and he likes it, but says its too hard to control everyone at once.

5.0 out of 5 stars My 6 and 9 year olds love it!, June 30, 2010
This review is from: Lego Battles - Nintendo DS (Video Game)
A previous reviewer said your six-year-old may not like it, as it's a strategy game. This made me laugh as my six-year-old son recently begged me for another copy, so that he and his brother can each have their own. This is like WarCraft, which they also loved until I banned it. This game is as much fun, but the images aren't as realistic -- just didn't think my kids needed to see the real-looking people in WarCraft engaging in, well, war. Lego Battles is a high quality game that keeps them engaged on even the longest overseas air flights.

5.0 out of 5 stars 9 year old son LOVES it, June 22, 2010
This review is from: Lego Battles - Nintendo DS (Video Game)
I agree that this is not the typical lego game of battle people and they fall to pieces so you can move on to the next level. It takes strategy to create your worlds and advance. My son went through lots of trial and error as he experimented with how to protect his king and create a civilization that is safe but has needed living conditions. He really enjoys the game. I'm very pleased with the purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars great fun but best for kids 10+, March 6, 2010
This review is from: Lego Battles - Nintendo DS (Video Game)
I got this for my 10 year old. In the beginning he found it frustrating because it is not like the other Lego games which, while very fun, follow pretty much the same formula. This game has more of a learning curve but once my son got the hang of it he came to love it and plays it a ton. We have just about every Lego game available and this is defniitely in the top 3 of games he plays the most. Some of his friends also have it for DS and they play together. I think younger children would find this baffling, it seems better suited to older kids. Personally I like the Lego games because even the bad guys are cute.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good beginner tactical game, May 20, 2012
C. Orr (Loveland, CO) - See all my reviews
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Lego Battles - Nintendo DS (Video Game)
I purchased this game for my 7 year old son who has really enjoyed this game so far. It starts out really easy and gets progressively harder though the game. It has actually proved to be a great brain exercise for him since it is a tactical game that requires a lot of thought before you make your move. The game play itself is pretty simplistic which is pretty much what you should expect from any lego game, but it has proved to be a bigger challenge to beat than we ever expected. This is not the best tactical game that I've seen but it makes a good introduction to this type of game play.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm reviewing for my son, January 9, 2012
This review is from: Lego Battles - Nintendo DS (Video Game)
My 10 year old son loves the Lego games. I find it bizarre that you would enjoy a game with building block figures as the characters, but they are among his favorites. I asked my 20 year old son why that is and he said they are well done and interesting. So there you have it - positive reviews from boys a decade apart. That's pretty good!

5.0 out of 5 stars Now that is a strategy game, April 30, 2013
This review is from: Lego Battles - Nintendo DS (Video Game)
I love strategy games, and not to mention legos! Do not think this is a regular lego game like star wars or Indiana jones. It is nothing like those. It kinda of reminded me of civilization but with lego guys. You get tasks and you have to get your builders to build things and you control soldiers and kings. The cut scenes and mini movies are cute and funny.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome game., February 10, 2010
This review is from: Lego Battles - Nintendo DS (Video Game)
We really need more games like this on DS. This game has it all, tons on units, awesome upgrades, great heros, tons of playable characters/hero's and maps, great gameplay, great graphics and overall is just a great game. I hope we get more of these.

Lego Battles - Nintendo DS
Lego Battles - Nintendo DS by Warner Bros (Nintendo DS)
$19.99 $13.99