Truck Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Mudcrutch Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Get Ready for Summer and Save 15% The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation Learn more

on June 15, 2009
I bought this game for my six year old son, who has played the Lego Batman and Star Wars games and enjoyed them tremendously. The previous reviewer is correct, this is a different game, but it is enjoyable in its own right. You have 90 levels to complete, each with items to find (minikit pieces, blue Legos) and as you find stuff and complete levels you unlock other items or levels. This is basically a mini RTS (real time strategy) game for kids, I would suggest at least six years of age. You have builders who can make you farms (to sustain population), towers (for defense), shipyards, castles (to make your kings/wizards/etc), barracks (to make soldiers), and so on. Each level sees goals that when completed usually lead to new goals. Once you have completed a level you can stay there looking for items you still have not found or you can go on to the next level. I helped my son a bit with the first few levels but he picked it up quickly and he loves the game. So do not expect another DS Batman, but instead this is a fantastic game in its own right.
on June 15, 2009
First, what it's not. Lego Battles is not just another Lego shoot-em-up game for the DS. Your six year old will probably hate it, if they aren't willing to learn how to play real-time strategy games. This isn't a game where you run around shooting things. This is a game where you build cities, control soldiers, builders, heroes, etc. Is it fun? absolutely.

This game feels like Warcraft 2 for the DS, which is a compliment. It's a great RTS with Castles, Barracks, Farms, soldiers, kings, workers, etc. It has some of the more "advanced" RTS controls, things like build queues, rally points, etc., which we've come to expect from games like Total Annihilation, Supreme Commander, and others.

I have really enjoyed this game because it fills a void: the missing RTS for the DS. I've looked around, but hadn't found anything good in this genre on the DS. Lego Battles allows you to strategically build cities, plan battles, etc. My only complaint is that some of the early campaigns are very easy. I wish there were a way to increase the difficulty. That said, it's an outstanding game. Highly recommended.
11 comment|119 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 15, 2009
This game is a stradegy game much like Ages of Empires, but a little more easier to use.
The sound effects and graphics are consitant with the other lego games and there are many cute mini movies.
You basically deploy your Lego men to do different tasks like build a farm, Castle, military post... etc and build men to fight and defend them from attcking enimies. There is a mini campaign in the game and a built in tutorial and also free play.
I do admit it is hard for younger players and it is nothing like the other lego games like the Starwars, Batman, and Indian Jones. I had my 7 year old try it and he likes it, but says its too hard to control everyone at once.
on June 30, 2010
A previous reviewer said your six-year-old may not like it, as it's a strategy game. This made me laugh as my six-year-old son recently begged me for another copy, so that he and his brother can each have their own. This is like WarCraft, which they also loved until I banned it. This game is as much fun, but the images aren't as realistic -- just didn't think my kids needed to see the real-looking people in WarCraft engaging in, well, war. Lego Battles is a high quality game that keeps them engaged on even the longest overseas air flights.
on June 22, 2010
I agree that this is not the typical lego game of battle people and they fall to pieces so you can move on to the next level. It takes strategy to create your worlds and advance. My son went through lots of trial and error as he experimented with how to protect his king and create a civilization that is safe but has needed living conditions. He really enjoys the game. I'm very pleased with the purchase.
on May 20, 2012
I purchased this game for my 7 year old son who has really enjoyed this game so far. It starts out really easy and gets progressively harder though the game. It has actually proved to be a great brain exercise for him since it is a tactical game that requires a lot of thought before you make your move. The game play itself is pretty simplistic which is pretty much what you should expect from any lego game, but it has proved to be a bigger challenge to beat than we ever expected. This is not the best tactical game that I've seen but it makes a good introduction to this type of game play.
on March 6, 2010
I got this for my 10 year old. In the beginning he found it frustrating because it is not like the other Lego games which, while very fun, follow pretty much the same formula. This game has more of a learning curve but once my son got the hang of it he came to love it and plays it a ton. We have just about every Lego game available and this is defniitely in the top 3 of games he plays the most. Some of his friends also have it for DS and they play together. I think younger children would find this baffling, it seems better suited to older kids. Personally I like the Lego games because even the bad guys are cute.
on April 30, 2013
I love strategy games, and not to mention legos! Do not think this is a regular lego game like star wars or Indiana jones. It is nothing like those. It kinda of reminded me of civilization but with lego guys. You get tasks and you have to get your builders to build things and you control soldiers and kings. The cut scenes and mini movies are cute and funny.
on February 27, 2013
I saw this game on clearances for a while and if I had known just how much my boys would love it - I might have picked it up earlier. They love to play together on their own copies and spend more time doing that, than other games that they are only playing by themselves.
on July 25, 2015
My son loves the lego series and the games allow for kids to just keep playing (no out of lives). Also when you defeat another item or person the legos just break up (no gore)... They're fun for adults and kids and well done.