Lego Indiana Jones: The Original Adventures - Playstation 3
Platform for Display: PlayStation 3Change
Price:$22.99 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

VINE VOICEon June 5, 2008
Platform for Display: PlayStation 3
Raiders of the Lost Ark was one of the first movies I remember seeing as a child and it is one of my favorite movies of all time. That being said I was looking forward to a trip down memory lane with this game and I was not disappointed.

First of all let me say that this game is truly fun for all ages. While it may appear to be a kids game at first glance, it's actually a very fun game for grown ups as well. The game has the original Indiana Jones music as heard in the movies. A brilliant touch as it adds to the game tremendously. The lego versions of all Indy characters are well done and very cute. You will find virtually every character from all three Indy movies in this game and you can unlock them all as playable in "free play" mode.

Another area where this game stands out is the humor the designers have put into it. There are so many funny little moments and even some funny homages to Star Wars. The game designers have really done their homework and it shows.

As far as the gameplay...it's what you would expect from a Lego title. Lots of cracking the whip and punching things. While it can get a bit repetitive at times I completely understand why the developers did this. By keeping it simple the game really becomes accessible to gamers of all skill levels....and, in my opinion, that's a smart move on their part.

One of the best things about this game is the co-op mode. My wife never plays games with me on my PS3, ever. We recently saw the new Indy flick at the theater and I convinced her to play this game with me. She loves it! One of the reasons she never plays is because of all the "complicated" controls on the PS3's controller. Back to my point about the game play being simple, the controls are so easy she has no problem playing. There aren't complicated button schemes or an overabundance of complication so she feels comfortable playing and she does not get frustrated. This is one of those games that can be played and enjoyed by the whole family...and it's nice that it's $10 cheaper than most of the other PS3 games.

I gave this game 5 stars. Let me clarify this ranking.
Does this game have graphics as good as Uncharted:Drake's Fortune? No. Does this game have as engrossing a storyline and as diverse gameplay as GTA IV? No.
Does this game accomplish what it sets out to do? Definitely.

I've spent money on many PS3 titles that I did not enjoy nearly as much as this game. Lego Indy sets out to be a cute, nostalgic and simple game based on the Indiana Jones movies that the whole family can enjoy. I believe it has accomplished this in spades. Of course it will not appeal to everyone as hard core gamers are not the target audience but fans of Indy, families and those looking for a fun game will find that Lego Indy is a great time and I highly recommend it.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 4, 2008
Platform for Display: PlayStation 3
I'm a big fan of Lego Star Wars, and also the Indiana Jones trilogy. So naturally, I loved this game. It's quite a bit shorter than Star Wars The Complete Saga for PS3, having three episodes instead of Star Wars' six (all episodes still have six levels apiece).

The Good:
There's the same cheeky humor that made Lego Star Wars so much fun. There's a slightly different feel to the gameplay with less shooting, more punching and throwing things at your enemy. There isn't any flying, but you can control a boat, motorcycle, & car among other things.

Indiana comes equipped with his signature whip, and guns can be found at various points in the game. Pistols & bazookas come with a limited amount of ammo, so choose your shots well!

The other characters have their own different strengths to add to the missions (i.e higher jump, smaller character, shiny object breaker), but the also now have weaknesses as well. Indiana is scared of snakes, Willie is frightened by spiders--so you'll have to switch to another character to help get them past the scary areas.

Instead of collecting mini-kits, you collect pieces of artifacts. If you collect all of them in the game, 3 extra levels are available to play.

The Bad:
When in single player, the game's Artificial Intelligence second player is alot more easily confused. I found myself moving ahead in the game, only to have to go back and get my AI character out of a stuck spot. They also follow too close, making it harder to back up in a tight spot.

Some of the enemy characters are a bit glitchy as well. Every once in a while when fighting enemies, one or two of them would be running in place behind a rock or other obstacle.

The character-switching triangle button is a little more generous this time around. Instead of walking up to and facing your second character before pressing the triangle button to switch to them, in Indiana Jones you can switch to your other guy from across the room. While this is really convenient in most cases, it's really a pain trying to use that same button to jump in a car, or pick up an item. I would be about to jump in a boat with the triangle button, then turn a fraction too far past it and end up switching to my second character instead, who was standing several feet away. Agggrhh!

All in all, it was really fun to play, and the storyline made for some cool-looking environments. Puzzles were tough but doable, and there was a good balance of fighting versus problem-solving. Expect to finish the game in a few days including freeplay--you could rent it but the replay value is pretty good. Hopefully the buggy parts have been noted and fixed by the time Lego Batman comes out!
Platform for Display: PlayStation 3
I purchased Lego Indiana Jones as an alternative to FPS (I'm not a fan) or sports games because I'm new to playing video games. After recently purchasing a PS3 and Rock Band 2, I wanted something other than a music game to try. I grew up watching Indiana Jones movies and playing Legos, so naturally putting the two together seemed like a great idea...and it was! This game is so much fun! I'm 23-years-old, and I can't get enough of it. My boyfriend, who is quite the video gamer, also really likes it. It gives you a challenge without being too challenging, plus the graphics are good and the story line entertaining. I liked it so much, I recently purchased Lego Batman for my younger brother's DS. And he loves that, too! Once I finish the game, I think I'll probably get the Lego Star Wars. Believe me, though-- this game is great for the whole family!
on June 16, 2008
Platform for Display: PlayStation 3
For those familiar with the Star Wars lego games, this version far surpasses it. Their are many more puzzles in Indiana Jones and they tend to be more difficult in finding some of the secrets and hidden items. This extra challenge makes this game more fun for the older crowd. It isnt just punching every piece of scenery and bad guys in sight. Granted it does have very similar gameplay to star wars, but they have added many new features, such as swinging from whips and vines, climbing and swimming. There and not as many levels and characters as star wars, but the levels are better designed and more encompassing. This is really the only area I think they should have improved on. Each movie has 6 levels, just like the star wars game, but youre comparing 6 movies vs 3. So there are double the levels in the star wars game. The other issue is that many of the characters in this game are Indiana and supporting women just wearing different clothes. However, each character does have unique abilities which makes solving puzzles that much more tricky and satisfying. I would highly recommend this game to everyone, even those that believe this is just a kids game. It is popular among college kids as well.
on January 19, 2009
Platform for Display: PlayStation 3
It is a fun game for all ages. My five, eight, and eleven year old all enjoy this game equally. Very cute idea.
Platform for Display: PlayStation 3
Traveller's Tales returns with another Lego-based game, this time focusing on the Indiana Jones franchise after conquering the world of Star Wars. Lego Indiana Jones: The Original Adventures is exactly what the title implies: the original Indy trilogy in Lego form. Contrary to some negative things that have been said, if you've played any of the Lego Star Wars games, you'll feel right at home here. The gameplay itself is relatively simple, family friendly fun that nearly anyone can pick up and play. Co-op mode is where the real fun of Lego Indiana Jones is to be had though, and like Lego Star Wars before it, the game just has a sense of undeniable charm to it that you can't help but get some enjoyment in the very least out of it. It may not take you too long to breeze through the game though, but if you do, it is worth going back and playing again just to catch all the game's in-jokes and visual gags, along with a horde of hidden items and goodies as well. If there's any real flaws to the game, it's that the AI isn't all that good in terms of enemies and AI-controlled pals, but as a whole, Lego Indiana Jones is massively enjoyable. All in all, Lego Indiana Jones: The Original Adventures continues the tradition of wonderfully fun and family friendly games, and is definitely worth picking up for Indy fans or anyone looking for some good clean fun.
VINE VOICEon June 26, 2008
Platform for Display: PlayStation 3
The Lego Indiana Jones game is an excellent game that is a lot of fun to play. The graphics are very good, only limited by the blockiness of Legos themselves. The music is exactly what you'd expect, which is a good thing. I missed out on Lego Star Wars (I've ordererd it now that I've beaten this game), so I was surprised by the amount of humor and sheer amount of fun in this game.

My only complaints are that it feels too short. I beat the game with about a 70% completion score in 10 hours. That's not all that short (Heavenly Sword and Call of Duty 4 were shorter), but it felt short. I just didn't want it to end.

For people who don't like collection games, this game will become annoying fast. You're constantly collecting Lego pieces, so if you find it annoying to run around picking up every little thing, then I'd pass on the game.

The game does not install anything on the hard drive (except the saved games of course). This results in some load times between levels, which aren't overly long, but probably could have been eliminated with an installation. Some people don't like the installation of games, but I like the lessening of load times, so this bugged me.

Overall though, this game is one of the better games I've played this year, in terms of a fun factor. Sure Metal Gear Solid 4 is a more ambitious game, but it hasn't kept a smile on my face the entire time like this game did. I definately recommend it.
on June 4, 2008
Platform for Display: PlayStation 3
Lego Indiana Jones: The Complete Adventures is a good, solid game. It comes from a lineage of good stock by the developer Traveler's Tales, who previously created the sublime franchise of Lego Star Wars, the game begins just as the Raiders of the Lost Ark did, with Indy trekking it through a dense jungle, but that's where things depart from the movie, his friends all taken away through their own foolishness and tribal hijinks until the sole survivor of Indy's posse is the character played by Alfred Molina in the Raiders of the Lost Ark.

This is how the rest of game plays out, the original story is there, but with minor details changed for storytelling purposes, mind you this is an "E" rated game. The characters do not speak, but their expressions and noises make up for the lack of voices. The story line is just as the trilogy went, with Raiders, Temple of Doom, and finally Last Crusade, hopefully they won't make a Kingdom of the Crystal Skull sequel.

The game plays surprisingly smooth and fighting seemed very natural, the controls were intuitive enough so that I did not have to use the manual, just the beginning tutorial was sufficient. There were some gameplay difficulties in one area and that was the fighting. Enemies seemed to have an unfair advantage by being able to use guns which knocked a whole heart off every time you were hit, but other than that the game plays wonderfully. To advance in the game one must collect Lego pieces and puzzles that use various other Lego pieces from you surroundings. Unlike the Lego Star Wars games, Lego Indiana Jones' puzzles are much simpler and are fun to complete and rarely escalate to tedium.

The graphics are superb, I own a 40" Samsung LCD television capable of running the game at its highest 1080p. All the edges are crisp, the colors vibrant, and the sounds sharp. The one major issue here is that there is quite a bit of screen tearing, if that is an issue for you (screen tearing is when the game appears to "break" from the whole and usually occurs in scenes with a lot of motions). Although the sounds sounded good, they were kept to a bare minimum, meaning that they were few and it seemed as if TT could have added in quite a bit more depth into the game's soundscape.

Overall, this is one solid performer whose weaknesses are made up for in the stupendous game play and the terrific story telling. Any Indy fan and or Traveler's Tales fan should be able to find this game a hilarious romp through the Indiana Jones universe (as well as any kids who can appreciate an excellent game) and a very respectable game to boot.

Lego Indiana Jones: The Original Adventures: B+
on March 5, 2009
Platform for Display: PlayStation 3
If you grew up with this movies, you are really going to enjoy this game, especially for the easy way it gets around, you can spend four hour playing this game and you really get to enjoy it. My wife who does not like to be around when I am playing videogames because of my hot temper, sits with me in all the lego games, because those are the ones that do not make you lose your temper and the cinematics are pretty funny, so if you like LEGO STARWARS and LEGO BATMAN, you are really going to like this one.

SEE YA!!!!!
on September 6, 2008
Platform for Display: PlayStation 3
LEGO Indiana Jones: The Original Adventures is an action/adventure 3D platformer that lets you play as Indiana Jones and his compatriots through the original three Indiana Jones movies. Being a LEGO game, of course, you're all LEGO characters, and all your enemies, items, equipment, and surroundings are made of LEGOs as well. Given that the game has no spoken dialogue (all the cutscenes are acted out with random grunts and noises), it makes for an interesting take on the actual movies.

The gameplay, however, really is a lot of fun. There's a fair amount of beating up enemies, but most of the game is puzzle oriented, and you'll find yourself doing a lot of exploring, sometimes getting stuck, and then having a grand revelation of how to proceed. In general, the game is pretty easy, so you should never get too frustrated, and given the unique gameplay, this would be a fun game for children or adults. Personally, I recommend playing with a friend or loved one, as the 2-player action is much more satisfying than playing with the computer as your accomplice.

Overall, this game is going to be the most fun for diehard Indiana Jones fans, but in itself, it's still a fun game. Anyone who is a fan of puzzle games, platformers, or fans of the LEGO game franchise, should definitely pick this one up.

See 1 answered question